Google unveils new Nexus phones, Chromecasts, Pixel C tablet & more

Comments

• Reply 101 of 158
    There is a market for 16GB phones, just not at $649.

Pass me the crack pipe. You've had enough.

Apparently Apple knows otherwise as it has the data.
  • Reply 102 of 158
    There is a market for 16GB phones, just not at $649.

Pass me the crack pipe. You've had enough.

This is the same company whose entry-level laptops start at $900...

...for an 11" model...

Apple clearly prices things the way they want to... perhaps they need to put the crack pipe down :D
  • Reply 103 of 158
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Interesting story out today that puts the whole "Google is out to beat Apple" meme in perspective. Following on the heels of Spotify announcing an app for Google's Chromecast comes word of Apple being invited by Google to do the same and bring Apple Music to the little streamer.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-asked-apple-music-to-support-chromecast-audio
  • Reply 104 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Interesting story out today that puts the whole "Google is out to beat Apple" meme in perspective. Following on the heels of Spotify announcing an app for Google's Chromecast comes word of Apple being invited by Google to do the same and bring Apple Music to the little streamer.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Apple wants everyone who is using Apple products to only use Apple products.

My youngest son is finally old enough for his own AppleID. So we made one for him on his hand-me-down iPod Touch 5thG. The device told us that we had reached our limit of AppleIDs used on the device. A quick Google search revealed that this could be overcome by logging into iCloud with the AppleID in question. So I installed iCloud on my laptop, and tried to log in with his AppleID. I got a message saying that I couldn't log in with that AppleID until it had been logged into iCloud on an IOS or OSX device. 

Biggest bunch of pissy BS I've seen out of a big tech company. So I fired up my oldest son's MBAir, installed iCloud, and logged in. Finally, the iPod touch worked with the AppleID.

You know, Apple stuff "just works."

We might see Apple allowing their music to stream through another service directly, but not this decade.

• Reply 105 of 158
    jungmark wrote: »
    Apparently Apple knows otherwise as it has the data.

What Apple knows is that people are more likely to upgrade to the second tier of storage if the first is inadequate. There are a lot more people who are comfortable with 32GB than 16GB, and that would reduce their conversion rate on upgrades.
  • Reply 106 of 158
    sog35 wrote: »
    false.  The 16GB phones were sold out last week.  Hell the $749 6+ 16GB is STILL sold out.

You had enough.  Cause you think everyone on the planet needs to use a phone exactly like you do.

16GB is enough for many people. Modern users don't store movies and songs on their phone. They stream everything. The mainstream users does not have hundreds of Apps. For mainstream users the main storage hog is photos/videos.  But those are so easy to upload to your PC/Mac.  And if you have ton's of photo's you need to do this step anyway.  If you don't you are risking losing all your photo's forever if you lose your phone or it crashes.

Just look at this way:  If you are a modern user and you plan to upgrade every year.  You will save $90 a year from buying a 16GB instead of 64GB and doing the 99 cent iCloud 50GB iCloud.

The average iOS user only uses 20-30 Apps.
    The average user can fit all their photo's on 50GB of iCloud
    The average user does not have massive music or movie collections on their phone

You're misconstruing the reason that the 16GB model is selling quickly. It's because it's the cheapest model, not because it's the favored storage capacity. People buying that model are either deciding that they can find a way to make do with 16GB or they don't have any comprehension of what that capacity means in real world usage.
  • Reply 107 of 158
    I guess the many of the earlier leaks showing what the back of the new 6P look like weren't very accurate. The bump-out isn't as pronounced as it's been assumed. This video shows it much better

[VIDEO]

...and a 5X hands-on.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 108 of 158
    Quote:

For sync and charging the phone uses USB Type-C, which Google said can charge the 3,450 milliamp-hour battery in half the time it takes to charge a 6 Plus.

Which means that the will kill the battery even faster due to over heating while charging. Charging is faster is not always good especially if you can not keep the battery cool.

Quote:

The company's new flagship phone is the Huawei-made Nexus 6P

Looks like Google burned through another partner they had to move onto Huawei verse working with HTC.

Quote:

The second-generation Chromecast comes in a new disc shape with red, black, and yellow color options. Perhaps the biggest technical improvement is better Wi-Fi, thanks to two additional antennas and support for 5-gigahertz connections.

I do not care what people say, streaming content over WiFi sucks, I have strong Wifi signals in my house and it I see blocky or slow video when streaming over WiFi, this is why I have hardwired my house with Cat6 and hook everything that matter to a GBit switch. I never seen a steaming issue on anything which is hardware. WiFi from time to time have interferance issues.

• Reply 109 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Nice version of a Touch ID sensor/ring on the back there. Worst place ever to put a fingerprint sensor. What about mobile payments? Turn your phone over to scan your fingerprint? And what about people who like cases? You're going to have a cutout for the sensor? Lame.

And how dare they make the Nexus 5X with only 16GB of storage.

Actually Motorola had this design on their Atrix phone it was at the top but on the back. The location work great from a usability stand point. too bad the sensor just suck and told multiply attempts to have it read your finger print.

• Reply 110 of 158
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I guess the many of the earlier leaks showing what the back of the new 6P look like weren't very accurate. The bump-out isn't as pronounced as it's been assumed. This video shows it much better

Yup, the 6P actually looks really cool. Especially the graphite color. When the blurry cams released for it, I thought it was the ugliest thing I ever saw, with the black bar looking like it stuck out significantly. But if you look at hands on, it's really quite nice, and uniquely designed. Nothing like an iPhone at all. Compare to that HTC One A9 which is embarrassingly a copycat of the iPhone 6. 

• Reply 111 of 158
    So why not start the base model at 64GB?  

Bottom line is 16GB fits for TENS of MILLIONS of iPhone users.

You must have missed the first sentence of the post you quoted. I'll repeat it here since it answers your question.

What Apple knows is that people are more likely to upgrade to the second tier of storage if the first is inadequate.
  • Reply 112 of 158
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    You must have missed the first sentence of the post you quoted. I'll repeat it here since it answers your question.

What Apple knows is that people are more likely to upgrade to the second tier of storage if the first is inadequate.

If thats the case why don't they make the base model 8GB, that way everyone upgrades?

See my point?  The point is there are still MILLIONS who do fine with 16GB.  If Apple's sole reason for the 16GB was to force upgrades they would do better starting at 8GB.

They would also be better off staying with 32GB for the second tier and have a bigger profit margin.
  • Reply 113 of 158
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Don't see the point of the Pixel C. The problem with Android tablets is not the hardware, it's the lack of great tablet apps (beyond Google's own). iPad has the clear lead here.....
  • Reply 114 of 158
    jetz wrote: »
    Don't see the point of the Pixel C. The problem with Android tablets is not the hardware, it's the lack of great tablet apps (beyond Google's own). iPad has the clear lead here.....
    It's a concept and developer device as the Pixels always have been isn't it? The general public isn't the target audience. With that said I do have a Pixel, purchased for $350, and it's one heck of a nice laptop. Love the trackpad.
  • Reply 115 of 158
    If thats the case why don't they make the base model 8GB, that way everyone upgrades?

See my point?  The point is there are still MILLIONS who do fine with 16GB.  If Apple's sole reason for the 16GB was to force upgrades they would do better starting at 8GB.

My guess is that so few people would buy an 8GB iPhone that Apple would actually lose money on the model (relative to a lineup including a 16GB base model) due to having to buy lower quantities of that memory chip at higher prices and having to make small production runs of that model. There's a threshold below which it becomes uneconomical to produce the variety of styles the iPhone offers because of a higher risk of inventory obsolescence (e.g. what if nobody buys the space gray iPhone 6S Plus 8GB model and it piles up in warehouses until the iPhone 7 comes out?). I think Apple would have calculated that risk and the other costs associated with marketing an 8GB model and determined that it wasn't a value-adding proposition.
  • Reply 116 of 158
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They would also be better off staying with 32GB for the second tier and have a bigger profit margin.

On a phone by phone basis, yes, but I imagine that they used sales forecasts to determine that the extra revenue per phone sold with 32GB would be outweighed by the increase in the conversion rate for upgrades to the second tier of storage if that tier included 64GB.
  • Reply 117 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

your 1) is irrelevant. Look at the front bezels of these Nexus, they're big enough for 3 buttons with the size of that ImPrint. 2) the it's limited to index finger on the hand holding the phone which is a bad implementation. I can unclock my iPhone with left/right thumb, left/right index and any right finger with one touch when it lays on a surface. With these Nexus, how can you unlock when it's on a surface? Face down,lol? Even with face dow, how do you know if the finger reading is good? I don't need to name more issues with it. Bottom line: rear button for fingerprint sensor is a bad implementation just like the way Google design the phone.

1) It's quite relevant.  The Nexus 5X has a ~70% screen-to-area ratio.  The iPhone 6S has a 65% ratio.  So clearly moving the button to the back makes room for a larger screen.  It also makes room for front facing speakers (hence the larger bezels).  Like I said, design tradeoffs.  There is no way, Apple can put in a larger screen without making the phone bigger or getting rid of the Home button.  Google has decided they'd rather provide a larger screen and relocate the fingerprint reader.  And that's what it is, a fingerprint reader.  It's not an all-singing, all-dancing Home button in the iPhone sense.  It's an unlock device.  Nobody is going to pressing down on the sensor multiple times a minute, the way I do with my iPhone.

2) As far as I understand, you can train Nexus Imprint to recognize any finger, just like the iPhone.  So no difference there.  As for ergonomics, I actually think it's easier in some circumstances....like pockets.  But then I pocket my phone screen in, upside down anyway.  If you don't, then I can see how the iPhone implementation is better.  Desk unlock is just not a big deal for most Nexus users.  That's exactly what Smart Lock is for.  Setup smart lock so it doesn't lock at work or home, the places where you're most likely to keep the phone on a desk or table.....  But other than that, it's again a tradeoff preference.  Is unlocking on a flat surface something someone does multiple times a day, and therefore enough of an issue to sacrifice screen real estate for?

I think there's several worthy criticisms for the Nexus 5X.  From price to specs.  The placement of the sensor just isn't that big for me.  I can see the tradeoffs.  I can see Apple eventualy ditching the home button.  And I'm curious how they'll do it and where they'll put the fingerprint sensor.

• Reply 118 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

On a phone by phone basis, yes, but I imagine that they used sales forecasts to determine that the extra revenue per phone sold with 32GB would be outweighed by the increase in the conversion rate for upgrades to the second tier of storage if that tier included 64GB.

Absolutely. It's also easier to upsell in the store when people come in and you explain to them how fast it will fill up. "It's only $100". Saw some of that last night when I was at the Apple Store.....
  • Reply 119 of 158
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

Yup, the 6P actually looks really cool. Especially the graphite color. When the blurry cams released for it, I thought it was the ugliest thing I ever saw, with the black bar looking like it stuck out significantly. But if you look at hands on, it's really quite nice, and uniquely designed. Nothing like an iPhone at all. Compare to that HTC One A9 which is embarrassingly a copycat of the iPhone 6. 

6P looked very nice until I saw the camera hump and huge front top/bottom bezels which served no purpose. Why don't they just put the fingerprint button at the bottom front bezel like iPhone and bring speakers to left/right of that button. It's okay be called copicat for Touch ID rather than the stupid ImPrint in the back.

• Reply 120 of 158
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

1) It's quite relevant.  The Nexus 5X has a ~70% screen-to-area ratio.  The iPhone 6S has a 65% ratio.  So clearly moving the button to the back makes room for a larger screen.  It also makes room for front facing speakers (hence the larger bezels).  Like I said, design tradeoffs.  There is no way, Apple can put in a larger screen without making the phone bigger or getting rid of the Home button.  Google has decided they'd rather provide a larger screen and relocate the fingerprint reader.  And that's what it is, a fingerprint reader.  It's not an all-singing, all-dancing Home button in the iPhone sense.  It's an unlock device.  Nobody is going to pressing down on the sensor multiple times a minute, the way I do with my iPhone.

2) As far as I understand, you can train Nexus Imprint to recognize any finger, just like the iPhone.  So no difference there.  As for ergonomics, I actually think it's easier in some circumstances....like pockets.  But then I pocket my phone screen in, upside down anyway.  If you don't, then I can see how the iPhone implementation is better.  Desk unlock is just not a big deal for most Nexus users.  That's exactly what Smart Lock is for.  Setup smart lock so it doesn't lock at work or home, the places where you're most likely to keep the phone on a desk or table.....  But other than that, it's again a tradeoff preference.  Is unlocking on a flat surface something someone does multiple times a day, and therefore enough of an issue to sacrifice screen real estate for?

I think there's several worthy criticisms for the Nexus 5X.  From price to specs.  The placement of the sensor just isn't that big for me.  I can see the tradeoffs.  I can see Apple eventualy ditching the home button.  And I'm curious how they'll do it and where they'll put the fingerprint sensor.

1) No one cares about 5X, I meant 6P, the flagship phone. They don't want to be called Touch ID copicat by locating it in the back. It's better in front like iPhone and redesign speakers to left and right of the ImPrint.

2) You can train any finger with 6P, no one argued on that. The problem is using it; the sequence of actions with other fingers while it's on left hand or on a surface. For iPhone, it's just a touch with any finger from right hand that has fingerprints stored when the phone is in the left hand or on a surface, and if there's a bad reading, you know it right away from the screen. With 6P, if your left index print has issue, try to use right fingers when you hold the phone on the left hand or lay it down on a surface...yeah, the sequence of actions is ridiculous: with 6P on left hand, turn it over, scan fingerprint from right hand, turn it back to check if the reading is good and the same action as on a surface OR pass the phone to right hand and use right index only, then pass the phone back to left hand for use...Absolutely brilliant, huh?