Apple invents ring-style wearable device with voice control, haptics, cameras and more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Apple's watch far more than I need. I'd love to see Apple or someone make:

1. A wrist device that'd vibrate on rings and let me stop/start/adjust volume on music and webcasts.

2. A waterproof wrist or ankle device that'd vibrate on rings. In parts of my house I can't hear my iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Apple Ring Edition.

$5,000.00
  • Reply 23 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    inkling wrote: »
    Apple's watch far more than I need. I'd love to see Apple or someone make:

2. A waterproof wrist or ankle device that'd vibrate on rings. In parts of my house I can't hear my iPhone.
    A probation officer might supply that :D
  • Reply 24 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This just In ... Samsung will release ring running Android any moment ....
  • Reply 25 of 49
    I thought this looked familiar: http://quantifiedself.com/2015/08/oura-ring-on-kickstarter/

Someone is already trying ring computers.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    This is just evidence of Apple's true plans with respect to wearables. The ?Watch is not going to work for everyone, nor needed by everyone, but wearables can bring many, if not all of those features to customers in other more practical forms, or work in consort with the watch and/or each other.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A probation officer might supply that image

Very, very funny. But these aren't tracking bracelets. They'd let people in public spaces or business meetings get silently signaled if a call comes in without leaving their iPhone out on a table where it could be stolen or, even worse, constantly look at their Apple Phone like they are bored.

I'd particularly like to see iOS initiate a signaling scheme, where the particular vibration signals the source. Someone in an important meeting who is expecting an important call from their spouse wouldn't have to be constantly checking their iPhone or Apple Watch. They would be a vibration felt only by them that would signal when that critical call or message came.

• Reply 28 of 49
    My Precious.....
  • Reply 29 of 49
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member

The jokes on this thread are so funny, and you can imagine the designers laughing so hard about these and others, that they can't even get the project started.

Tim:

Jony how's it going?

Jony:

Every time we try it we break into such uncontrollable laughter we can't continue.

• Reply 30 of 49
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    great. something else to disrupt my movie-going experience. i thought mobile phones were bad, but just recently sat next to someone wearing a watch.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odinsdad View Post

My Precious.....

iPrecious
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Unfortunately limited to a token ring network topology.????
  • Reply 33 of 49
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    Anyone remember the TV Series "Search." Around 1972-73 a collection of Super Spies used a ring similar to this Apple patent to keep in touch with HQ via Satellite. In the movie the top of the ring which looked like a jewel with an embedded camera could be removed from the ring and and put on a pendant. On a pendant it became a camera, with telemetry, etc. Brief summary of the Series: ""World Securities", an international high-tech private investigation company, employs field operatives who are aided by implanted audio receivers and who carry tiny cameras and telemetry units which can be attached to tie tacks or rings.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I guess we can expect something in a suppository format  :\

Your'e joking, but I can see the next step over wearables being implantables (not unlike how a pet might be microchipped today) and ingestibles (a pill you swallow every day).

• Imagine your handset or wrist-worn device talking to one or more implantables that will monitor glucose, blood flow to different parts of the body, oxygen saturation, etc. This will give you a level of detail that simply can't be done with a phone or a single device on one wrist. One thing I experience — which is common — is at a certain point while sleeping (usually about 70% through my typical sleep cycle I'd estimate) my body temperature changes and my feet get cold. I end up waking up and have to get back to sleep. This is not efficient. If I had sub-dermal implants in a few places that could send data to a device connected to my bed I could have the temperature change adjusted and even predicted over time, not unlike learning thermostats, like Nest. These could also look for more than just inconveniences and inefficiencies, but major health concerns where anonymous data could be uploaded and analyzed on a scale of hundreds of millions to billions.

• Imagine a ingestible that you pull out of a pill box that you then put on small concave puke that will then link to your device(s), get a system check for proper activity and power (which can be charged up) which you then swallow for that day. It then monitors you from inside. These devices could then send info once it's securely requested from your sub-dermal implants, smartphone, or other wearables. I'd like to know if my nutrition is deficient in certain ways, like not enough B vitamin, without a blood test, or if there are signs that I might be at risk for diabetes. Perhaps it could get so advanced that it could suggest a very specific caloric, mineral, and vitamin intake for a given day or give time during that day to help increase your efficiency based on parameters you've set.

This week (I increase it by 10 calories each week), my Apple Watch Move goal is 560 active calories for the day, but that's woefully incomplete for really getting to know what is best for me on a given day.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Your'e joking, but I can see the next step over wearables being implantables (not unlike how a pet might be microchipped today) and ingestibles (a pill you swallow every day).

• Imagine your handset or wrist-worn device talking to one or more implantables that will monitor glucose, blood flow to different parts of the body, oxygen saturation, etc. This will give you a level of detail that simply can't be done with a phone or a single device on one wrist. One thing I experience — which is common — is at a certain point while sleeping (usually about 70% through my typical sleep cycle I'd estimate) my body temperature changes and my feet get cold. I end up waking up and have to get back to sleep. This is not efficient. If I had sub-dermal implants in a few places that could send data to a device connected to my bed I could have the temperature change adjusted and even predicted over time, not unlike learning thermostats, like Nest. These could also look for more than just inconveniences and inefficiencies, but major health concerns where anonymous data could be uploaded and analyzed on a scale of hundreds of millions to billions.

• Imagine a ingestible that you pull out of a pill box that you then put on small concave puke that will then link to your device(s), get a system check for proper activity and power (which can be charged up) which you then swallow for that day. It then monitors you from inside. These devices could then send info once it's securely requested from your sub-dermal implants, smartphone, or other wearables. I'd like to know if my nutrition is deficient in certain ways, like not enough B vitamin, without a blood test, or if there are signs that I might be at risk for diabetes. Perhaps it could get so advanced that it could suggest a very specific caloric, mineral, and vitamin intake for a given day or give time during that day to help increase your efficiency based on parameters you've set.

This week (I increase it by 10 calories each week), my Apple Watch Move goal is 560 active calories for the day, but that's woefully incomplete for really getting to know what is best for me on a given day.
    In the works but it still some time away. I would not be surprised to read Apple is doing something along the same lines.

https://www.rt.com/usa/200251-googlex-nanoparticle-pills-diagnose-diseases/
  • Reply 36 of 49
    The iSignet!

With choice of Amethyst, Opal or Sapphire screen and configurable glyphs and sigils...
  • Reply 37 of 49
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    In the works but it still some time away. I would not be surprised to read Apple is doing something along the same lines.

https://www.rt.com/usa/200251-googlex-nanoparticle-pills-diagnose-diseases/

I didn't even get to nanobots in the bloodstream. I don't doubt they are possible but I would consider those to come much, much further down the line.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    One Ring to rule them all, One ring to find them; One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    If they don't codename this "Precious" then we need to have a talk with the folks in R&D...
  • Reply 40 of 49
    solipsismy wrote: »

We have PillCam capsule endoscopy at our medical center already.

http://www.givenimaging.com/en-int/Innovative-Solutions/Capsule-Endoscopy/Pages/default.aspx