Apple blocks iFixit dev account following fourth-gen Apple TV teardown

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72

I guess iFixit thought the hits and publicity they'd get from all this was worth more than a good relationship with Apple. Dumb decision imo.

• Reply 62 of 72
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lxg View Post

Why risk it for an Apple TV? Obviously, could have waited until the device hit shelves. To be honest, i have no interest in Apple TV tear down. So it was definitely a bad call. And bc of this shady attitude don't plan to use their services or website:

There was no need to rush out a tear down until the device was actually in people's hands!!!  When it's only Developers, which I believe only paid Apple $1 to get it to start creating Apps for it.  Why rush the info out?  Release day of Apple TV, throw the review out then.  

I am Interested in a AppleTV tear down.  I think it's interesting.  I like seeing how things are put together.  As someone who maintains, repairs and installs NEW Industrial equipment in a food factory, this type of thing interests me.  Otherwise you just think it's some kind of Magical Device.  Instead of the High tech building/construction that these devices are.  Few people will do anything with this breakdown, but it is interesting.

• Reply 63 of 72
    jbdragon wrote: »
    There was no need to rush out a tear down until the device was actually in people's hands!!!  When it's only Developers, which I believe only paid Apple $1 to get it to start creating Apps for it.  Why rush the info out?  Release day of Apple TV, throw the review out then.  

I am Interested in a AppleTV tear down.  I think it's interesting.  I like seeing how things are put together.  As someone who maintains, repairs and installs NEW Industrial equipment in a food factory, this type of thing interests me.  Otherwise you just think it's some kind of Magical Device.  Instead of the High tech building/construction that these devices are.  Few people will do anything with this breakdown, but it is interesting.

That pre-release hardware was provided to these people for app development and testing, not for a teardowm.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    iFixit provides a great service to Apple's customers, but they're a thorn in Apple's side. It's bizarre they were even given a developer unit to begin with.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Apple in usual paranoia mode.

Yes, it was against policy.

If iFixit waited until the exact day of availability, then no problem.

Something uber top secret Apple did not want leaking?

Like no A9 chip?

Like no 4K capability?

So, you acknowledge that they purposely violated a contract, and yet believe that Apple should have laughed it off and done absolutely nothing?

And when this is point out to you repeatedly, your response is "yawn"? So, laws and contracts are absolutely meaningless to you then- or, only when they are enforced by Apple. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if people stepped all over your contracts, right? Pathetic. Maybe stop being a troll for once. 

• Reply 66 of 72
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Ok. I acknowledge the severe breech in security by iFixit.

They should go to jail.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Ok. I acknowledge the severe breech in security by iFixit.

They should go to jail.

You've obviously never been subject to an NDA.

They're lucky they aren't getting shut down. In some cases, this could be the end result.

I hope you aren't this flippant with regards to the rules of your own job. If I were like you, millions of people's PI and SPI would be on the loose.

Bye Felicia.

• Reply 68 of 72
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So, you acknowledge that they purposely violated a contract, and yet believe that Apple should have laughed it off and done absolutely nothing?

And when this is point out to you repeatedly, your response is "yawn"? So, laws and contracts are absolutely meaningless to you then- or, only when they are enforced by Apple. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if people stepped all over your contracts, right? Pathetic. Maybe stop being a troll for once. 
    mrboba1 wrote: »

You've obviously never been subject to an NDA.
    They're lucky they aren't getting shut down. In some cases, this could be the end result.

I hope you aren't this flippant with regards to the rules of your own job. If I were like you, millions of people's PI and SPI would be on the loose.

Bye Felicia.

Chill out.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    two fold: 1- ifixt, up till this point, probably hadn't stepped over the line, they gave ifixt the benefit of the doubt, assuming they read & complied to the agreement. 2- took a clear stance what happens when you violate the terms. Why let some hack shop ruin the potential for Apple to hone-in singularity - in what has been extremely challenging media industry. Think HBO, Disney, CBS, etc want to add their services to Apple TV when hackers are publicly sharing how to tweak these devices? - All sorts of legal trouble. Tard move by fixit.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    pawn3dpawn3d Posts: 20member
    As a Dev myself, I tear apart everything Apple sends me. The only difference between iFix and the other Devs, is that they don't PUBLISH IT.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    pawn3dpawn3d Posts: 20member
    Actually what they said was "We weighed the risks, blithely tossed those risks over our shoulder, and tore down the Apple TV anyway," So they knowingly violated a contract and got the punishment they deserved.
    They're not crying about it. I'm pretty sure there's more than 1 dev at iFixit...