Apple issues second public beta of OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2015
Members of Apple's public beta testing program now have access to a second pre-release build of OS X 10.11.1, a forthcoming maintenance and security update for the newly launched El Capitan Mac operating system.

The new public beta arrives two days after developers were provided with their own second beta of OS X 10.11.1, and one day after the final release of OS X 10.11 El Capitan was issued to the general public. The second beta of OS X 10.11.1 is identified as build 15B22c.

Apple has not detailed any significant changes that might arrive in the first patch to El Capitan. Release notes for the second beta state that the update will focus on stability, compatibility, and security.

Members of Apple's public beta program can access the new OS X 10.11.1 build through the Mac App Store.

New features in El Capitan include Split View, an enhanced Mission Control, a cursor spotting feature, better fullscreen view in Mail, an improved Notes app, the ability to quickly spot and mute tabs in Safari, and other general refinements and tweaks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I hope fixes are rolled out immediately.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Talk about *snappier* !
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I hope it fixes Outlook and Lync crashing. Otherwise, in the enterprise setting, I'll have to (god forbid) use the PC till it's fixed.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Talk about *snappier* !

No kidding. I really hadn't paid much attention to what changes were in El Cap, but the moment the first of my Macs rebooted after upgrading I instantly noticed a considerable improvement in general performance. Apps opened faster, web pages appeared sooner, etc. This is on a new, clean MBPr that rarely gets used and was by no means "slow" before the upgrade.

• Reply 5 of 13
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Yep, much snappier than 10.10. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going on the performance.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

are the betas faster or are you talking about the gm 10.11

• Reply 7 of 13
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    gdog wrote: »
    are the betas faster or are you talking about the gm 10.11

Everyone of the betas has been snappy. The GM are generally a bit faster due the dropping of some debug code.

El Capitan is shaping up to be one of the best Mac OS releases in a very long time.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I'm running 10.11.1 Beta 2 on a mid-2010 i3 iMac as well as a 13" 2014 MBA. Both are doing great. Hard to believe that the 2010 is still cranking along. I use it for the basics. Safari, Mail, Calendar, Notes, Photos, iTunes, Excel, Word. and a few other apps. All are doing great. I take my MBA everywhere, when I'm not at my desk. I had one problem so far with Airport Utility not see the Extreme's ( I have two - one downstairs, one up - ethernet extended.) I changed the Mac's to use local link only instead of IP6. And that seemed to have resolved that issue. Otherwise, I have been good. Separately, I've had a minor mail problem with iOS 9.1 beta and submitted a feedback ticket.

Lastly, I just noticed the Maps icon now has a 3D indicator on it. Don't remember seeing that before. Opened it up and sure enough, there's a 3D mode. Really looks good on Satellite mode.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I suspect a lot of the improvements that are visible around performance are related to OpenGL calls being replaced by Metal.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rtroiani View Post

I hope it fixes Outlook and Lync crashing. Otherwise, in the enterprise setting, I'll have to (god forbid) use the PC till it's fixed.

From what I’ve been reading Microsoft knows the problem is on their end and has already released one update to Outlook. So I’m not sure what you want Apple to ‘fix.’ Shouldn’t you be directing your snark at them instead of Apple. Microsoft had every opportunity to make sure their software worked with El Capitan. Apparently they didn’t care. I don’t understand your thinking. Could you enlighten us?

• Reply 11 of 13
    i'm running on a Late 2008 Macbook and it's slick.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtroiani View Post

It's a Microsoft issue to resolve - see article here

• Reply 13 of 13
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

Is beta faster or slower than GM?   GM has been good hate to mess with it.