Pessimistic, questionable iPhone supplier rumor sends shares of Apple further downward

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    I wonder what Icahn is thinking...
  • Reply 42 of 78
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Do you have any instances of successful ones? I'm talking big mega mergers.

I'm interested to see how the Directv/AT&T merger pans out. 

• Reply 43 of 78
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Your source must be accurate, after all it came straight from the Internet.

I forgot to mention that he's well-connected too.

• Reply 44 of 78
    Such rumors just feed the monkeys at WST. Why doesn't Apple react aggressively to such rumors with clarifications? Ah, because they like it this way. Apple numbers can speak for themselves as long as they want, but the only numbers those jerks are interested in have nothing to do with appreciating a healthy company. Go, and celebrate Amazon and Google you worthless speculants!
  • Reply 45 of 78
    mike1 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that he's well-connected too.

But not by any chance in the Far East?
  • Reply 46 of 78
    I wonder what Icahn is thinking...

I wonder why other big boys aren't loading up like he did?
  • Reply 47 of 78
    My blood is boiling Apple red right now at BS speculation from an outside source who asked suppliers about Apples supply demand outlook. I can speculate it will snow next month in Death Valley, but only idiots would believe it. I mean Apple sets the bench mark for the stock market and those idiot brokers and traders find every little thing to try and handicap Apples stock.

Tim Cook wouldn't do it, but if Steve Jobs was still alive today this type of speculative news would never see the light of day.

Apple should just buy Wall Street so we could shut these idiots up who are just trying to make a name for themselves by writing articles that drag the price down.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    sog35 wrote: »
    Apple should care.  Their non-defensive stance against rumors is costing Apple investors AND employees HUNDREDS of BILLIONS.

How hard would it be to have a PR guru who's only job is to release statements to counter rumors?  All they would have to say is repeat what Cook said in previous earnings calls:  Don't try to use a small part of the supply chain to estimate demand.  Easy. Simple.  And shuts the idiots up immediately.  

Then off the record they should call up any of these media outlets and spew this non-sense and give them a mouth full.  

No more playing nice. Defend your stock Apple, you owe to your shareholders and employees (who get paid through stock options).  The code of silence that Jobs took does not work in today's Twitter world.

I fear it would not help. This is manipulation on purpose by Wall Street. The tumors just provide them and stupid justification. Countering the tumors would not eliminate this.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    When people with a lot of money want the masses to believe something, they know how to make it happen!
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

[snip]  IMO, Apple's price gets punished because of the massive option dollars in the stock.  [snip]

Truth!

• Reply 52 of 78
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    All stocks are manipulated, get over it. (Buyback a and to some extent dividends are also manipulations.) AAPL is grossly under-valued because there aren't more buyers at higher prices. A big part of this is market cap, but a bigger part is generational: 20-30-somethings aren't putting as much money into stocks like the generations before them... while the baby boomers move money to cash for retirement.

If you want to do something about it, encourage your friends to buy one share a week or month as a savings plan.

Unless people are buying the stock, it can't go up...
  • Reply 53 of 78
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

I think it's time for a "new" In-depth exposé on Digitimes.

Company needs a full strength spotlight shown on it.

• Reply 54 of 78
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    The one bad thing about the stock split was it allowed more small timers to get involved in option trading.

Before to buy 1 call option would cost about $2000.
    Now that same call cost $300.

That means more retail gamblers buying call options and the big boys keeping the stock down to make those lottery tickets expire worthless.

Not really, it just pushed up premiums slightly. Mini's were still available.

Apple did everything right; it just didn't make a difference to the markets. At this point, I think they should start an investment bank to rival Goldman. Since that is really stupid, the stock must go up...
  • Reply 55 of 78
    So how does Amazon, Google, Facebook, ect avoid manipulation?  They must be doing something to avoid the crap Apple faces every day.

I don't know. Maybe because WSt hates Aople because they have an unusual high level of business ethics? Maybe because they can make more money on manipulating Apple?
  • Reply 56 of 78
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

All stocks are manipulated, get over it. (Buyback a and to some extent dividends are also manipulations.) AAPL is grossly under-valued because there aren't more buyers at higher prices. A big part of this is market cap, but a bigger part is generational: 20-30-somethings aren't putting as much money into stocks like the generations before them... while the baby boomers move money to cash for retirement.

If you want to do something about it, encourage your friends to buy one share a week or month as a savings plan.

Unless people are buying the stock, it can't go up...

No. This is about large movers selling huge positions at a loss (while opening huge short positions), in order to cascade the stock down. And then reversing that position. Repeat Repeat Repeat.

It's like using a "Slinky" toy. Pour it into the left hand, then back into the right hand. Back and forth, back and forth.

That's manipulation. Perfectly legal.

Thank you elimination of uptick rule.

• Reply 57 of 78
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5150iii View Post

Sometimes I think that AAPL will never have a meaningful break out. Anytime good news is announced it is tempered with negative spin and FUD. This cycle could really just repeat over and over. It makes being long AAPL seem like running in place.

They did have a meaningful break out...  you're just way too late.

You'll only see people who "love" Apple complain about how its' stock is "manipulated".  Look around at the broader market and you'll always find the same thing going on.  Different stock, same story.  Apple isn't an exception.  Get over it.  The expectations are so high on Apple that the price will be lucky to keep pace with inflation.

Edit: and if you can't find examples of what I'm talking about, I'm not helping you.  Do your own research... I did.

• Reply 58 of 78
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wallstreet treats Apple like a company that could go bankrupt any day now, or could be made irrelevant or obsolete by some random new product. Every shitty rumor gets the stock diving, while extremely good news..sends the stock diving a bit less. Meanwhile, Apple's future prospects, by any rationale measure, could NOT be more positive, going by every single metric and their gameplan. 

Unbelievable. 

This is an interesting premise.

WS seems to view Apple as that company that just makes gadgets.

And needs a 'hit' every few years or else it's doomed. Where will it's next cash cow be? What is the next big thing?

The unknown is what scares them. 

Conversely, it sees Google, MS and Amazon as safer bets and less of an unknown. 

After all, advertising, enterprise and diapers are always going to be needed. Do we need a smartwatch, or the latest iPhone? 

• Reply 59 of 78
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The 7-for-1 was meant to position AAPL for inclusion in the Dow Jones index, which (in my opinion) was unwise. Dow connected companies tend to do worse after they're added.

In fact almost all of the stock related advice Apple has taken has turned out to be a bust.

Eric Jackson, who's claim to fame was going after Yahoo for many years thinks Apple's buyback program is a mistake and there's nothing much to show for it. Though he thinks Apple should have acquired a big company like Netflix or Twitter which I personally think would be a disaster. I can't think of one instance where a merger of two big companies worked out. AOL/Time Warner was a bust. HP/Compaq? Google/Motorola? Microsoft/Nokia? All pretty much busts.

There were some, mostly materials, manufacturing, and aerospace that worked out nicely.  The ones you pointed out were mergers/purchases for IP and "visual strength", not for making the combination better...

A Netflix or Twitter purchase for Apple would be suicide.  Cost/benefit is way off on either of those two.  Apple is smartly picking them up small and folding them in early.

• Reply 60 of 78
    bradipao wrote: »
    This !!

You summarized my point with actual numbers. Buybacks are being exploited by speculators. I completely agree with you about increase dividend.

I disagree. A stock with a large dividend is a good indicator of a company that no longer knows what to do with their money. Considering most of that massive cash pile is overseas, a bigger dividend would have the net effect of adding debts and obligations for Apple. A bigger dividend weakens the company while "pandering" with handouts to flyby investors, not long term investors. The regular appreciation of the stock is the best indicator of a company that is still on track and is reward enough for investors committed to the long haul view of the company. I also think Cook needs to start bringing back more of the aggressive startup mentality to Apple and stop appeasing the critics.

At this point, I believe Apple should eliminate both the buybacks and the dividend.

Apple can't cut back on dividends. Too late.

The only long-term change the company really can make at this point is to manage information flows better, and more aggressively. It has to shoot down bogus nonsense that is having a significant impact on the stock. Recall how AAPL turned around (and arguably, even the market) when Tim Cook called into Cramer, in August. Wall Street is basically yanking Apple's chain for more information, more often. It goes against the company's predilection for keeping silent.

But there's little choice at this point about whether to be more open, given Apple's size and influence. This is one area where I give Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk tremendous credit. They do not put up with what they view as bullshit about their company, and are not shy about taking on anyone.

As an aside, I had predicted during the Gizmodo iPhone 'theft' episode that, given the thirst for information on Apple is so high, going after US rumor and tech sites aggressively (as Jobs was wont to do) would only move the information leaks to the Far East. Moreover, to a setting that has far fewer scruples, and disinformation rules as much as misinformation and real information. This is exactly what has happened.