Apple invents ring-style wearable device with voice control, haptics, cameras and more

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Your'e joking, but I can see the next step over wearables being implantables (not unlike how a pet might be microchipped today) and ingestibles (a pill you swallow every day).

• Imagine your handset or wrist-worn device talking to one or more implantables that will monitor glucose, blood flow to different parts of the body, oxygen saturation, etc. This will give you a level of detail that simply can't be done with a phone or a single device on one wrist. One thing I experience — which is common — is at a certain point while sleeping (usually about 70% through my typical sleep cycle I'd estimate) my body temperature changes and my feet get cold. I end up waking up and have to get back to sleep. This is not efficient. If I had sub-dermal implants in a few places that could send data to a device connected to my bed I could have the temperature change adjusted and even predicted over time, not unlike learning thermostats, like Nest. These could also look for more than just inconveniences and inefficiencies, but major health concerns where anonymous data could be uploaded and analyzed on a scale of hundreds of millions to billions.

• Imagine a ingestible that you pull out of a pill box that you then put on small concave puke that will then link to your device(s), get a system check for proper activity and power (which can be charged up) which you then swallow for that day. It then monitors you from inside. These devices could then send info once it's securely requested from your sub-dermal implants, smartphone, or other wearables. I'd like to know if my nutrition is deficient in certain ways, like not enough B vitamin, without a blood test, or if there are signs that I might be at risk for diabetes. Perhaps it could get so advanced that it could suggest a very specific caloric, mineral, and vitamin intake for a given day or give time during that day to help increase your efficiency based on parameters you've set.

This week (I increase it by 10 calories each week), my Apple Watch Move goal is 560 active calories for the day, but that's woefully incomplete for really getting to know what is best for me on a given day.

You should read The Circle by Dave Eggers! (Or see the movie when it comes out)

• Reply 42 of 49
    mypadmypad Posts: 5member
    Hey, I predicted this in a Facebook post way back:

[B]Cupertino, 1 April 2013[/B]: Apple stunned journalists today by announcing their first eagerly anticipated wearable product - not the widely expected iWatch, but a new smart wedding ring. The iDo ring features integrated Wi-Fi, 3G, tactile sensors and integrated Facebook App. The mere act of inserting a finger into the iDo ring instantly changes the Facebook relationship status of you and your betrothed, while simultaneously performing a rapid DNA gene analysis via Apple's cloud computing centre to accurately predict your time of death which it uses to terminate your Facebook timeline. For the romantically inclined it displays exactly how much time you and your loved one have together and indicates which one will kick the bucket first...

As an added bonus, the iDo monitors your location, proximity to others, resistivity of your skin and tone of voice to alert your partner of any potentially unfaithful thoughts before you even think them. They can then invoke another new feature, dubbed iControl, to subtly modify your behaviour by inducing an electric current via the iDo ring, as appropriate...

On stage Apple CEO, Tim Cook, affectionately known as 'Gollum' to his friends, angrily dismissed the prospect of copy cat rings from Samsung and Sony saying, "This is the one true ring - the ring to rule them all". He also dismissed concerns from privacy campaigners but was heard accidentally referring to his latest Apple gadget as my iPreciousssss...
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63553/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 43 of 49
    mypadmypad Posts: 5member
    Apple have applied for a patent on the unique round shape of their ring to ensure nobody else can make a round ring without paying a license fee. Jony Ive claimed month's of research and thousands of protoypes had been made determining what he claims is the optimum shape for a device worn on a finger.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    rs9 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the TV Series "Search." Around 1972-73 a collection of Super Spies used a ring similar to this Apple patent to keep in touch with HQ via Satellite. In the movie the top of the ring which looked like a jewel with an embedded camera could be removed from the ring and and put on a pendant. On a pendant it became a camera, with telemetry, etc. Brief summary of the Series: ""World Securities", an international high-tech private investigation company, employs field operatives who are aided by implanted audio receivers and who carry tiny cameras and telemetry units which can be attached to tie tacks or rings.

No.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    krawallkrawall Posts: 163member

Well I'm not sure about this. Me personally,  I much prefer a wrist worn device - I just don't wear rings (I feel them uncomfortable, and when gripping things always in the way, pinch skin - depending on what kind of ring it's easy to hurt others esp kids / babies). I don't get it how people can wear rings on most of their fingers. Don't they hurt them.. Anyway, my wife is quite opposed to my non-ring wearing as one might expect... 

Although, I have to admit the idea is great :-) Just not for me.

By the way there are NFC enabled rings out there (for unlocking phones, doors, etc)

• Reply 46 of 49
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    joelsalt wrote: »

You should read The Circle by Dave Eggers! (Or see the movie when it comes out)

Is there some detail or reference that could spark some interest in the book?
  • Reply 47 of 49
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Is there some detail or reference that could spark some interest in the book?

Its about a google-facebook company that slowly makes information about everyone more and more ever-present and the resulting potential dystopia that could ensue  (I'm not arguing he is right, but its very apropos to your vision of the future of electronics and not a bad read, either)

• Reply 48 of 49
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    joelsalt wrote: »

Its about a google-facebook company that slowly makes information about everyone more and more ever-present and the resulting potential dystopia that could ensue  (I'm not arguing he is right, but its very apropos to your vision of the future of electronics and not a bad read, either)

That's for the feedback. Sounds interesting. I'll add it to my list.
  • Reply 49 of 49

OURA was launched in March (http://www.launchfestival.com/oura), Apple came out with this in April, coincidence? ;)

Seems like many others besides Apple believe in OURA too: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oura/oura-ring-improve-sleep-perform-better