Tim Cook to receive Human Rights Campaign's Visibility Award for LGBT efforts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
The Human Rights Campaign announced Thursday that it will present Apple CEO Tim Cook with the Visibility Award at its 19th annual National Dinner next month, an event honoring high-profile public figures who fight for LGBT equality.

In an official statement published to HRC's website, the organization's president Chad Griffin called Cook a visionary, citing the Apple chief's personal and professional contributions to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

"His willingness to bravely and directly speak his truth has not only given hope to countless people around the world, it has saved lives," Griffin said of Cook. "Through his example and Apple's commitment to equality, LGBT young people in particular can look to Tim Cook's incredible career and know that there is nothing holding them back. They can dream as big as their minds allow them to, even if they want to be the CEO of one of the world's largest companies."

Cook, who came out publicly last October, has actively promoted pro-equality legislation in the U.S., including in his home state of Alabama.

Under Cook, Apple has become a leading corporate supporter of LGBT issues, throwing its substantial clout behind non-discriminatory public policy like the Equality Act. The push is part of a wider initiative to achieve gender and racial parity within Apple, which some hope will have a cascading effect on tech sector at large. Last November, HRC gave Apple a perfect score in its Corporate Equality Index for the 13th time in a row.

Cook has direct ties to HRC as a notable financial contributor to the organization's Project One America campaign, an initiative focused on LGBT non-discrimination policies in Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas.

The 19th annual HRC National Dinner is scheduled to take place on Oct. 3, 2015, in Washington, D.C., where Vice President Joe Biden will deliver the keynote address.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Oh boy. I don't have a good feeling about this thread.

I expect it will disappoint.
  • Reply 2 of 38

Congrats to Tim Cook. Well deserved for a great leader in many facets.

• Reply 3 of 38
    Because coming out in 2015 is so hard. You totally don't get calls from the president and media fawning everywhere.

I mean, their organization, do what they want, but sheesh is it not "hard".
  • Reply 4 of 38
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    OMG! He should be making sure my iPhone gets to my house soon rather than using his personal time to deal with human liberty issues¡ (Something like that, [@]anantksundaram[/@]? :))
  • Reply 5 of 38
    eborebor Posts: 5member
    I am confused. Being gay is not a human right, it is a sexual orientation, as much as being hetero is. Unless this organisation wants to honour him for being outspoken about a perceived taboo, for which he does deserve accolades, this is non-sense, but then it should be clarified that he is being honoured for exercising his right to freedom of speech. Although I was not aware that uttering the words "I am gay" has been prohibited in the USA. So what is the point?
  • Reply 6 of 38
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Good for Tim!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Because coming out in 2015 is so hard. You totally don't get calls from the president and media fawning everywhere.

Is 2015 when you came out, too?

• Reply 8 of 38
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Not really. Until coming out ceases to be met with sarcasm, hate & anger from bigots, it will still be a struggle.

Oh yeah, and congrats, Tim!
  • Reply 9 of 38
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Nice work, Cookie!
    We need more people like you, standing up and using power for good!
  • Reply 10 of 38
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mac_dog wrote: »
    Not really. Until coming out ceases to be met with sarcasm, hate & anger from bigots, it will still be a struggle.

Even after that, we have to wait until one's natural sexual orientation isn't anymore news worry than one saying they like Hawaiian pizza.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    mac_dog wrote: »

I'm 100% for gay rights but it really isn't that risky anymore for celebrities to come out. More likely than not they are praised for it. The people that really deserved praise were the ones who came out when there was a real stigma associated with it like Leonard P. Matlovich. Those are the people who paid the price. Not Tim Cook.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikethemartian View Post

I'm 100% for gay rights but it really isn't that risky anymore for celebrities to come out. More likely than not they are praised for it. The people that really deserved praise were the ones who came out when there was a real stigma associated with it like Leonard P. Matlovich. Those are the people who paid the price. Not Tim Cook.

Considering he's the CEO of a massively large company, and there's very few CEO's at any level that are out, just like there very few top Pro Athletes that are out, I think it's a hell of a lot harder than you make it seem.

He doesn't risk that much personally by doing this; especially because lets face it, everyone around him at Apple probably knew, including Jobs who hand picked him as his successor; but, he still helps EVERYONE that's not out now.

The morons and bigots who attack my LBGT friends, and I've got many, EVERY DAY are thankful for this even if your not.

There's still a hell of a price too pay : NOW. Not, in a distant past.

Showing that LBGT are present at all levels of society helps in normalising it; eventually it will get to where it's a non issue, like interacial marriages and a black president (which some people BTW still haven't gotten over...).

• Reply 13 of 38
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member

Your ability to telepathically know every gay person's life experience is truly remarkable. Please, tell us how you achieved such omnipotence!
  • Reply 14 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Steve wouldn't!!!!!1
  • Reply 15 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Congrats, Tim! Record iPhone sales and recognition of your social justice work.

• Reply 16 of 38
    I get the award, but has his decision to "speak his truth" really "saved lives?" Do we have any concrete examples? I certainly could be wrong in this case, but sometimes I think we go a little over the top in this society in assigning descriptions.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

I rather he be up for the "Revamped iTunes so it doesn't suck so bad" award or maybe "Making iCloud work reliably" award...I know, those are pipe dreams. Oh well, I suppose this award is nice too. ;)

-kpluck

• Reply 18 of 38
    ttollerton wrote: »
    I get the award, but has his decision to "speak his truth" really "saved lives?" Do we have any concrete examples? I certainly could be wrong in this case, but sometimes I think we go a little over the top in this society in assigning descriptions.

Yeah, this is on the same level (well, perhaps not as bad) as giving the Arthur Ashe award to Jenner. Because having a reality TV ahow is really courageous.
    kpluck wrote: »
    I rather he be up for the "Revamped iTunes so it doesn't suck so bad" award or maybe "Making iCloud work reliably" award...I know, those are pipe dreams. Oh well, I suppose this award is nice too. ;)

-kpluck

I got a good chuckle out of this one.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Congrats Tim. Keep up the excellent work on all fronts.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

Suicide is a problem among gay youths, in part because they lack role models.