Inside iOS 9: Apple's Maps app gets smarter with automatic directions based on user habits

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    iOS 9 is slower on my 6+. Home screen swipes stutter, icon presses take an extra millisecond to respond, animations are no longer smooth.

I'm sure it has to do with all the background stuff going on (i.e., iCloud), but turning that stuff off as a fix is not a solution.

Apple's 1GB of RAM policy the last few years certainly has its downsides.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Anecdote 1 -- Was in more less rural/suburban area of a state. big mix of paved roads and dirt roads.  Needed to get from one location to next. Apple maps provide shortest route... by 'dirt roads' (which it did not indicate). Fail.

Anecdote 2 -- Said to Siri- "Tell me the traffic conditions to xxx airport" [major airport 5 miles away]

Siri- Sorry, I cannot do that, but here is how to get to xxx airport [5 miles away]

IMO- Apple maps--- long way to go for this advanced stuff. And yes Google Maps can be just as frustrating.

• Reply 63 of 81
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    This is all well and good, but are you able to select different options like "avoid highways," or "avoid tolls," or get detour suggestions when heavy traffic is ahead yet? My 2009 BMW has this capability, if anyone wants to take Apple Maps seriously then these basic functions should be included.

I have been using Apple Maps on iOS 9 public beta and now iOS 9.1. It has always given me suggested routes based on traffic for shortest trip time. While driving it warns me of traffic congestion ahead with the distance. If there is a route available to avoid it I will be asked if I'd like to change routes with directions. When you ask maps for a route to a destination it will give multiple suggestions. Touching any of them will show tolls if they are located on that route.

What is your issue again?
  • Reply 64 of 81
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mike1 wrote: »
    That is correct. I did 'forget' my cable company's wifi service, but I do need to log in again when I do want it. I also hoped IFTT would have helped, but that app offers no hardware functionality. So, I couldn't make a rule that said "If BT connects to something (my car), then turn off wifi.
    You can just toggle the switch Ask to Join Networks, to OFF. That way you won't be bothered again. You'r phone will automatically join known networks. If you get to some place where you want a join a network, say a friend's house, you have to select it from the settings app. Very simple.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Thanks. BTW, I edited my last post so you may have missed my question. I'll repost it:

I do have a question of my own which you might know the answer to. Apple says frequent locations stay on your device and are not shared with Apple without your consent. Do you know of an example where a user would be giving their consent? Could the new functionality discussed in this AI article require any consent to share frequent locations?

If you go to the Settings app, select Privacy, Location Services. Scroll all the way down and select System Services. This is where you select the information you are willing to share with Apple (anonymously). By default they are all selected to on unless you have toggled Location Services to off on the Privacy screen.
  • Reply 66 of 81

This has got trouble written all over it when my wife realizes that every afternoon at 4:30 the phone asks if I'm going to the pub.

• Reply 67 of 81
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    As you suggested your "frequent locations" stays on your device instead of being sent to Apple. That does not mean when traveling to the "frequent location" that your your travel data is not being sent to Apple in an "anonymized" form tho. Two different things, and FWIW it's been shown repeatedly that anonymized data does not necessarily remain anonymous. When combined with 3rd party info it's not hard to figure out exactly who you are. Note tho that when they're combined it's to be treated as personal information meaning it won't be shared except under very specific conditions.

GG you forgot(?) to copy this section (below) from Apple's site about Maps and privacy. I know you like to insinuate that because some data is sent to Apple when using Maps, apps etc that it means they are suddenly just as bad as Google - implying that there is no benefit to users from extricating themselves from The Borg (Google). The bottom line is (as Apple state below) Apple are doing everything they can to provide personalised services but without signing you in to a service where your every text, email and movement is tracked and analyzed for advertising purposes. If Apple don't collect all of this PII then if the Feds come calling for data there is little that Apple can give them - and they are not breaking any laws by doing this.

Seems like Apple are doing the right thing to me.

Maps
    Other companies try to build a profile about you using a complete history of everywhere you’ve been, usually because they’re targeting you for advertisers. Since our business doesn’t depend on advertising, we have no interest in doing this — and we couldn’t even if we wanted to. We’re more interested in letting you know when it’s time to leave for your next appointment. You don’t have to sign in to use Maps, and it only knows you by a random identifier that resets itself frequently as you use the app. Maps is also engineered to separate the data about your trips — including public transit directions — into segments, to keep Apple or anyone else from putting together a complete picture of your travels. Helping you get from Point A to Point B matters a great deal to us, but knowing the history of all your Point A’s and Point B’s doesn’t.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    lostkiwi wrote: »
    As you suggested your "frequent locations" stays on your device instead of being sent to Apple. That does not mean when traveling to the "frequent location" that your your travel data is not being sent to Apple in an "anonymized" form tho. Two different things, and FWIW it's been shown repeatedly that anonymized data does not necessarily remain anonymous. When combined with 3rd party info it's not hard to figure out exactly who you are. Note tho that when they're combined it's to be treated as personal information meaning it won't be shared except under very specific conditions.

GG you forgot(?) to copy this section (below) from Apple's site about Maps and privacy. I know you like to insinuate that because some data is sent to Apple when using Maps, apps etc that it means they are suddenly just as bad as Google - implying that there is no benefit to users from extricating themselves from The Borg (Google). The bottom line is (as Apple state below) Apple are doing everything they can to provide personalised services but without signing you in to a service where your every text, email and movement is tracked and analyzed for advertising purposes. If Apple don't collect all of this PII then if the Feds come calling for data there is little that Apple can give them - and they are not breaking any laws by doing this.

Seems like Apple are doing the right thing to me.

Maps
    Other companies try to build a profile about you using a complete history of everywhere you’ve been, usually because they’re targeting you for advertisers. Since our business doesn’t depend on advertising, we have no interest in doing this — and we couldn’t even if we wanted to. We’re more interested in letting you know when it’s time to leave for your next appointment. You don’t have to sign in to use Maps, and it only knows you by a random identifier that resets itself frequently as you use the app. Maps is also engineered to separate the data about your trips — including public transit directions — into segments, to keep Apple or anyone else from putting together a complete picture of your travels. Helping you get from Point A to Point B matters a great deal to us, but knowing the history of all your Point A’s and Point B’s doesn’t.

GG is a troll -- mostly supporting anything Google and trying to equate Apple activities to some of Google's more nefarious activities.

GG appears to be intelligent -- but after a while, his posting agenda gets transparent and tedious, so he's been on my block list for quite some time.

Often he provides links that give the impression of weighty knowledge and research to his post -- but, when examined (followed), don't really support his post.

He frequently provides partial quotes, as you detected above, that give his post the appearance of impartially comparing Apple and Google activities.

Other times he gives the appearance of supporting Apple where the reader of his post will infer that Apple's activity is similar to Googles activity -- i.e. "Damning with faint praise".
  • Reply 69 of 81
    This has got trouble written all over it when my wife realizes that every afternoon at 4:30 the phone asks if I'm going to the pub.

SWMBO knows ...
  • Reply 70 of 81
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I can verify this doesn't happen. Otherwise the v9 betas would have gotten me in trouble months ago.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    mike1 wrote: »
    Automatically getting directions seems like a waste of battery and data usage. I certainly know how to get to and from work and 99% of the other places I travel. I presume it will be able to be switched off. However, I would appreciate a bit of traffic data if my normal route has abnormal traffic conditions.

One thing I would like is the ability for the phone to automatically turn off wifi when I get in the car. I hate when the phone latches on to a weak wifi connection when I'm stopped at a light and switches off my LTE data. This wreaks havoc with Siri, Radio, Maps and everything else that uses data.

Maybe I am not understanding the issue... Have you tried turning on "Wi-Fi Assist"?...under Settings / Cellular.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Automatically getting directions seems like a waste of battery and data usage. I certainly know how to get to and from work and 99% of the other places I travel. I presume it will be able to be switched off. However, I would appreciate a bit of traffic data if my normal route has abnormal traffic conditions.

One thing I would like is the ability for the phone to automatically turn off wifi when I get in the car. I hate when the phone latches on to a weak wifi connection when I'm stopped at a light and switches off my LTE data. This wreaks havoc with Siri, Radio, Maps and everything else that uses data.

If they ever come up with anything like Tasker for IOS, that would solve the problem. Mine turns off wifi unless it detects the SSIDs of routers to which I usually connect. So if I leave my house, wifi turns off. It does bring it back up every minute or so to query SSIDs in the area, but the battery savings of having wifi off all that time more than make up for it.

• Reply 73 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    inkling wrote: »
    How irritating. Apple seems to be creating a nanny operating system that treats users like children who need to have their every step guided by someone wiser.

what a load of nonsense.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    focher wrote: »
    I can verify this doesn't happen. Otherwise the v9 betas would have gotten me in trouble months ago.
    So you can verify that IOS 9 does not get you in trouble with Paul's wife?
    ????
  • Reply 75 of 81
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

That is correct. I did 'forget' my cable company's wifi service, but I do need to log in again when I do want it. I also hoped IFTT would have helped, but that app offers no hardware functionality. So, I couldn't make a rule that said "If BT connects to something (my car), then turn off wifi.

Quote:

I totally agree with you on the first part.  As for the WiFi latching onto weak networks, do you mean open networks that happen to be near you or networks known to you, that you have previously joined? The former would require you to join with a prompt, no? The later would only require forgetting it. And in both cases you turn off "Ask to Join Networks."

What am I missing?

• Reply 76 of 81
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I would rather see them add features like 'avoid highways' and also letting us rate directions and even add our own. I have several drives that I do where for fun I ran directions and they were hideous. Local drivers would never go those ways cause we know they are traffic nightmares. So why can't we tell folks that and advise them of better ways.

And how about planned traffic issues and reporting accidents etc. wouldn't it be great if I could report that there'a an accident on the freeway and everyone getting directions that would take them right into that chaos would be alerted and rerouted around it. Both avoiding getting trapped like I am and not adding to the chaos
  • Reply 77 of 81
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I would rather see them add features like 'avoid highways' and also letting us rate directions and even add our own. I have several drives that I do where for fun I ran directions and they were hideous. Local drivers would never go those ways cause we know they are traffic nightmares. So why can't we tell folks that and advise them of better ways.

And how about planned traffic issues and reporting accidents etc. wouldn't it be great if I could report that there'a an accident on the freeway and everyone getting directions that would take them right into that chaos would be alerted and rerouted around it. Both avoiding getting trapped like I am and not adding to the chaos

You're talking about a combination of things that are already there in the Maps app or at least in other apps like Waze. Waze is neat but requires too much attention for all of the user signals, messages and reports. I find myself looking at the phone too much while I'm driving which is not safe and defeats the purpose of the app too. If Siri was integrated into Waze, it would help a lot.

As far as Apple Maps, I have never found it to be bad at all for turn by turn and it keeps getting better. The other day, I was driving home but from an unusual starting point so I had turn by turn directions on. In the middle of the trip, Siri asked me if I would like to try an alternate route to avoid traffic in the city and save me 4 minutes. I agreed and it seemed to work. The problem is that Siri wouldn't have informed me of any of that unless I was actively using turn by turn directions so the phone always needs to know I'm driving and want to be informed of faster routes than the ones I am taking but that requires GPS to be on always and that sucks up battery life. I enjoy getting into my car and not having to plug the phone in every time but until battery life improves, some days I don't think I have a choice.

• Reply 78 of 81
    aricbaricb Posts: 27member
    If you need a map program to find your way back home from work on your 3rd day working there, you have some serious issues.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AricB View Post

If you need a map program to find your way back home from work on your 3rd day working there, you have some serious issues.

Or you have traffic, some options, and enough intelligence to use the technology you carry in your pocket.

• Reply 80 of 81
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I noticed this when I jump in my car, you are twenty minutes from work, traffic is normal...

...but it's not, it's my day off, isn't it?

I should be compensated, I've a good mind to start a class action suit.

Apple has failed, Apple is doomed™!

It's fun to hear Siri freaking out, telling me to U-turn etc when I drive through here, a good short cut, doesn't take long to reroute once I reach the other side:-

I've reported it.