Comparison: Subscribing to Apple Music vs. Google Play Music

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Instagram would need to be 8 times bigger I think to be FB... And by that time, people would be bored with it and moved on to the new new FB... That's the circle of life.  FB's doing pretty good actually this year; it's prospects are better than 2 years ago (when many were predicting doom and gloom).;

I'm curious how their assistant will take off.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Let's see..... AM gave me nothing but headaches on my iPhone to the point I killed it and was glad I had backups. GM has done very well and works on both my Android and iOS devices.

btw: your "who has what albums" is comical. Wonder how much searching that took. While both will play my Japan and EU albums, AM butchered them even though I ad them in iTunes.

For now, I'm using Prime Music (Amazon) since I am a long time member - less hassle than either GM or AM.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

What happens the day my Apple Music subscription lapses? What am I left with if Apple Music in the cloud "matches"/overwrites my purchased music with DRM'ed tracks? I could theoretically re-download from the iTunes Store (and manually fix hundreds of playlists) but many tracks are no longer available to download. As just one example, any Zeppelin tracks bought before the recent 2014/2015 remasters are unavailable to download.

Again, not a big deal to transient listeners of subscription music, but a huge deal to those of us who have cultivated our music collections over literally decades. (And, yes, Steve was widely known to have been the latter.)

well IMHO its the use case I face every few minutes I want optimized (using the music selection app) as opposed to the once a year or never.  Sure you should be able to identify your tracks vs music (which you can do on the pc/mac). 

• Reply 64 of 81
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gemini521 View Post

I agree with you, I think Google just hasn't done a great job of advertising all of their features. Definitely better value. I subscribe cause I figure I can l can listen to anything I want for the cost of one album a month. I cancelled my iTunes Match subscription, can't believe I paid when Google does it for free.

Google does nothing for free. You just don't see the cost up front.

• Reply 65 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tryd wrote: »

Google does nothing for free. You just don't see the cost up front.
    I dunno, I have to pay real dollars every month for Google Music.
  • Reply 66 of 81
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I don't trust Screwggle period

They are doomed especially with the the new logo
    BUT WAIT THERE"S MORE
    I can't wait for OS9 so I can install ghostery and adblock on my mobile devices safaroi web browser . Go for it apple reduce screwggles ad revenue to a trickle on iOS devices. YEAH and less bandwidth on my phone when surfing! FINALLY
  • Reply 67 of 81

Spotify is so good, in comparison. Very easy to use. Looks good. Very flexible. Works on 3G and 4G networks with high quality streaming. Very similar on different Apple devices. Playlists created are just available on all devices. With this perspective Apple Music misses a lot, even though it is so feature filled.

(Mac users since 1986.)

• Reply 68 of 81
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    It's probably pointless to mention that Google, unlike Apple, goes far FAR deeper in collecting personal information on you than Apple does, and connects data gathered from both its own sites and by tracking you on the web extensively to create a much more detailed profile of your online life that it then sells to advertisers, but for me this is a big difference.

Apple notes what I voluntarily provide in terms of "hearts" and listening to make music recommendations; Google uses its Music and every other service to create a far more invasive, undisclosed and detailed profile of me across its services to sell to advertisers and potentially malicious third parties, but hey there's no difference it's all the same whatever dudes.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm View Post

It's probably pointless to mention that Google, unlike Apple, goes far FAR deeper in collecting personal information on you than Apple does, and connects data gathered from both its own sites and by tracking you on the web extensively to create a much more detailed profile of your online life that it then sells to advertisers, but for me this is a big difference.

Google is indeed an expert in collecting personal data, but it does not sell this data to advertisers. There is a fundamental difference between using the data for your internal advertisement business and selling the personal data you have collected.

The latter is illegal in a lot of countries (e.g. the European Union) and Google would face prosecution if it sold personal data.

• Reply 70 of 81
    cropr wrote: »
    Google is indeed an expert in collecting personal data, but it does not sell this data to advertisers. There is a fundamental difference between using the data for your internal advertisement business and selling the personal data you have collected.
    The latter is illegal in a lot of countries (e.g. the European Union) and Google would face prosecution if it sold personal data.

So how is Google making a living in such countries? I'd say that selling personal information is much more sought after and hence expensive than placing ads.

Edit: I found this on statista

Which appears to underline that selling is much more profitable.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

So how is Google making a living in such countries? I'd say that selling personal information is much more sought after and hence expensive than placing ads.

Google sells targeted ads based on the collected personal data, but Google does not sell the personal data.  As an advertiser I can ask Google that my ads are displayed to e.g. unmarried males between 40  and 45 years, who own a house, living in a big city in Germany, looking for a BMW.  But Google won't give me the names of the people who have seen the ad.

In its privacy statement it is written that Google does not disclose your personal data, unless you agree explicitly or it is required (e.g. for legal reasons)  

• Reply 72 of 81
    I gotta say it. Google play music on my iPad is awesome. I love your products Apple but these guys did a great job and they had it long before you could get your act together, so some of us are already on board with Google. It works great, interface is quite good, lots of library, off line capabilities, the Sonza curated playlists are well done (and google didnt overpay for their music streamer / curator acquisition). Uploading my iTunes library for free was my inducement originally, and it is a great option, especially since i can access it on the web at work very easily. (Employers often won't allow you to download iTunes to a work computer). I eventually gave up the credit card number a few months back for the on-demand service, which is excellent. i will likely keep it.

There is just so much to like, i never felt compelled to switch to Apple Music. And frankly, the lousiness of iTunes Radio ( and related criticisms of AM following its release) did not instill a lot of confidence that the streaming on-demand version would be ready and capable. Why take the chance when Google Play works so well, including on iOS versions? Someday, i will try AM. But here is an Apple customer and investor who is really smitten with Google's music application at the moment.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike17055 View Post

(Employers often won't allow you to download iTunes to a work computer). 

Sadly, this is reality.

• Reply 74 of 81

<h2>Pricing</h2>

Both services have the same price: $9.99 per month. However, Apple offers a Family Plan for $14.99 per month, which allows up to 6 people to share the Apple Music account. Google Play Music has no such family option.

Sometime this week Google is reportedly matching Apple's offer with a family plan for up to six at the same $15/mo. My guess is the labels are having to sign off on these plans? Not certain.
  • Reply 75 of 81

But, Google Music does it for free even if you don't subscribe to the service. If you cancel Apple Music, you can no longer upload anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaBlaBla79 View Post

Actually, Apple Music does upload your library without iTunes Match.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204925

• Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

How is that a huge advantage for Apple Music?  With Google's service you use over 50 devices for less if you really wanted to...  I take it Apple's "Family Plan" costs more than the $9.99?

Except, you are using "1" account. So if I were to share that with my 4 kids, I'd have my playlists plus all of their playlists cluttering my player on the main screen. At least with the family plan, we all get separate spaces.

This is the only reason I am on Apple Music, otherwise I'd be jumping ship for All Access as I really like it more than Apple Music.

• Reply 77 of 81

I find it funny the reviewer mentions that some albums are not on All Access but are on Apple Music. I found that true awhile back when I was searching Apple Music for something, it wasn't there but I did find it on my Groove Subscription which I have a few months left. We can just leave it at not every subscription service has "everything."

• Reply 78 of 81
    Google Play Music has a number of "Best of" compilation albums free today. Get 'em while thy're hot! No idea how long it lasts tho some have been available free for awhile now.

Alice Cooper
    Bill Withers
    Billie Holiday
    Blood, Sweat & Tears
    Bob Marley & The Wailers (The Early Years)
    Box Tops
    Brad Paisley
    Britney Spears
    Brooks & Dunn
    Carole King
    Charlie Daniels Band
    Ciara
    Charlie Wilson
    Cyndi Lauper
    Dave Brubeck
    Deborah Cox
    Destiny's Child
    Dorinda Clark-Cole
    Elvis Presley
    Elvis Presley (Movie Music)
    Etta James
    Europe
    Frank Sinatra
    Harry Nilsson
    The Highwaymen
    The Intruders
    The Isley Brothers
    Jagged Edge
    Janis Joplin
    Jeff Buckley
    Jeff Healey Band
    Jessica Simpson
    Joe Satriani
    Johnny Cash (Duets)
    Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash
    Johnny Mathis
    Johnny Winter
    Kellie Pickler
    Lou Reed
    Luther Vandross
    Marty Robbins
    Marvin Gaye
    Mat Kearney
    Meat Loaf
    MercyMe
    Miles Davis
    Mindy McCready
    Mountain
    Nas
    The Partridge Family
    Ray Charles
    Ray Price
    Restless Heart
    The Romantics
    Ronnie Milsap
    Roy Orbison
    Sam Cooke
    Santana
    Sara Evans
    Sarah McLachlan
    Sly & The Family Stone
    Sponge
    Stabbing Westward
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Three 6 Mafia
    Tito Puente & His Orchestra
    Tony Bennett
    Toto
    Warrant
    Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson
    Willie Nelson (Gospel)

And there's a lot more than that. For the full list along with links see http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/15/deal-alert-tons-more-very-best-of-albums-from-classic-artists-available-for-free-on-google-play/#1
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Just need to comment on one glaring mistake in this article. The writer says there is no sharing of the service on Google play music... Flat out wrong, built in to Google's 9.99 plan you can have up to 10 devices with full access. Me, my wife, and three kids iPod touches all have full access to the paid service. And I could still sign on with 5 more devices... No need to pay for a family plan.

I am actually an early adopter of Google's service and only pay 7.99 a month and they haven't upped the price on me. I am a happy customer.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    Actually, I have google play all access and I can have it on up to 10 devices for only the same $9.99 a month. Why would I want to pay Apple $14.99 for 6 devices??