Apple enhances Siri team with purchase of VocalIQ, a car-focused British speech tech firm

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    I'm kinda disappointed with Siri. When I used it in English it worked kinda ok. Not good every time but it might be my accent. When I use it in Swedish it is worse! And it get especially annoying when I ask her to play music from a band with a English name, then she don't understand the English words and it gets impossible to get it right! But I'm longing for the future when Siri is great because I really like the potential!:)
  • Reply 22 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Another thing under Eddy Cue's leadership that is far from perfect. Siri should be so much better than it is right now. And once again I was using Apple Music and having issues playing songs getting error messages that the song couldn't be downloaded (I was trying to play it not download it) or it would play a few seconds of the song and then go silent. I think Apple needs a new role for Eddy that doesn't involve internet services.

Bummer - who's responsible for iCloud sucking in dealing with ATV in Photos or Music, or iTunes anywhere?

• Reply 23 of 35

I don't know how well VocalIQ can be trained but this could be big, as it could turns SIRI into a portable/wearable Watson.

• Reply 24 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    You have to know *how* to ask.

There is no "kitty." That's too colloquial. However, there is "kitten." Better to go for variety and say "kittens."

"Show me kittens." But "show" how? Show WHAT of kittens?

"Show me PHOTOS of kittens."

Meowch better. ;)

Asking 'show me pictures of kitty' worked for me, pictures of cats.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Well, by now she's wise to the game, with all the weird requests she's been getting the last few hours. ????
  • Reply 26 of 35
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    inkling wrote: »
    Sadly, still no Siri, age-tailored for kids. When I ask, "Show me a kitty," it shows me a news story about a Scandinavia band. Weird!

I don't think grown ups use the word "kitty". Try using grown up speak.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    ascii wrote: »
    I've never had any problem with Siri's recognition, in fact I've been quite impressed with how it understands words from the context, even if I'm mumbling.

Recognition is not Siri's issue, it's understanding. Understanding what a sentence means, whether it's speech or text or braille or something else.
    I'm Apple fan 100% but honestly, Siri sucks compared to Google Now. Unless you are native English speaker, Siri continues to recognize your commands wrong while Google Now got right most of the times. Also, Google Now has more languages than Siri.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Sadly, still no Siri, age-tailored for kids. When I ask, "Show me a kitty," it shows me a news story about a Scandinavia band. Weird!

I got that too.  But hey, being from the south, try "show me a kitty cat"... still age-appropriate, and it works just fine.  8-)

• Reply 29 of 35
    flaneur wrote: »
    Well, by now she's wise to the game, with all the weird requests she's been getting the last few hours. ????

Good to know she learns ... Could everyone start asking for directions to Bee Ridge Road please? ;) (see up the thread for why lol)
  • Reply 30 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    evilution wrote: »
    I don't think grown ups use the word "kitty". Try using grown up speak.
    FWIW using the same request for a "kitty" on Google Now does offer a kitten video as the first result
  • Reply 31 of 35
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    FWIW using the same request for a "kitty" on Google Now does offer a kitten video as the first result

thanks for clarifying that. perhaps you can include a few links.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    thanks for clarifying that. perhaps you can include a few links.
    Just do the search from Google Now for yourself. Use any Android phone (every town has it's low-income housing district so Android phones aren't hard to find. ;) ) or the Google Search app on your iPhone.
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/google-search/id284815942

Perhaps you know the answer to this one. If you use a voice search thru Google on your iPhone does the search route thru Apple first as Siri does or go direct thru Google? I know some other Google services are handicapped since they rely on whatever Apple will allow.

[@]NolaMacGuy[/@] since you read the question and didn't respond I'll assume you don't know either. Perhaps someone else does? It's an honest question.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Just do the search from Google Now for yourself. Use any Android phone (every town has it's low-income housing district so Android phones aren't hard to find. ;) ) or the Google Search app on your iPhone.
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/google-search/id284815942

Perhaps you know the answer to this one. If you use a voice search thru Google on your iPhone does the search route thru Apple first as Siri does or go direct thru Google? I know some other Google services are handicapped since they rely on whatever Apple will allow.

I hate to say this but I think he was pulling your leg ... I could be wrong ... ;)
  • Reply 34 of 35
    I hate to say this but I think he was pulling your leg ... I could be wrong ... ;)

Woah dude, big no no. If someone is getting their leg pulled, just walk away. Just walk away.
    ????
  • Reply 35 of 35
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good.  :)

(You were also specific in your request.)