Do you do DV?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, do you? I'm wondering if anyone out there does DV video editing and if so, what kind of DV camcorder do you have? Do you like it? How much did it cost? What editing software do you use? What kind of mac do you edit on?

I'm hoping to get a DV camera and do some editing on my Lime iMac DV that is in the mail

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Sony DCR-TRV25

Final Cut Pro

Got the camcorder 1/2 off cause of a friend I have at Sony.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Canon ZR10 - shoots good video but lousy stills

$699

Final Cut Pro on a Dual GHz
  • Reply 3 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Canon ZR 50 (Got it from Future Shop during the Scan n' Save event. Got $250 OFF from it )

Final Cut Pro on a Dual GHz SlowSilver(tm)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Canon ZR40. Good picture, short battery life. Works great with the iBook via firewire. pretty cheap.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I've shot with Sony's DSR-200, DSR-300, VX1000, and VX2000... as well as canon's XL-1s, which is a nice camera.

The DSR cameras aren't really camcorders in the sense you may think. They are shoulder mounted cameras, and they take full size DV tapes, not mini-DV. Good cameras, but they will run you multiple thousands of dollars. I think the ones I was using were $3-5k new? *shrugs*

The VX series I shot with had an XLR box under them for better audio. Personally, I'm a Sony fan, but the XL-1s is a fine camera...

I cut on an Avid, just ordered a copy of Xpress DV for my non MC system, and looking forward to it. I've cut on Final Cut and Media 100's, but I simply prefer the Avid when I can My MC system is on an upgraded 9500, my Media 100 is in a G4/450 dual, and I'll probably setup XPress DV on that machine as well.

If you're a student, you can get Avid XPress DV 3.5 for OS X for about $500. Final Cut Pro is $250 for students. If you can, go for XPress DV. It's worth it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    m3djack:::

is there any instances where FCP has the advantage over Avid?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    First of all, Hi forum, I'm new and this should be about my second post.

I recently purchased a Canon XL1s for a business i'm starting and can't wait to see what Apple has to offer with the new PM. It will be my first Mac and can't wait to use FCP to do my editing.

So as you can see, I will be a switcher and I also switched my brother, he should be getting an iMac really soon.

Later
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

<strong>m3djack:::

is there any instances where FCP has the advantage over Avid?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Price. Its always price. But note this is my opinion. There are editors out there whom simply prefer Final Cut over anything else.

Avids are pretty much industry standard, so if you cut your project on an XPress DV, and for any reason you want to take that to a Media Composer system... well, your project was already started in an Avid, it will transition to the MC without flaw.

But to build a 24fps Final Cut Pro system is going to be cheaper than building a 24fps capable Avid system. Final Cut Pro can support 24fps film and hdtv with the CineTools upgrade... your only option for getting film options on an avid are going to cost you, and you don't see those options until you hit the Xpress systems, a step up from XPress DV.

But getting back on topic, since this is about DV and not really about film, the only advantage I see to Final Cut Pro is price. Xpress DV runs on Windows and Mac, it uses Avid's standard interface, it works just like a Media Composer system, sans a few feattures (DV only res, no slip n slide editing, no film options). Why drive a Honda if you could drive a Porsche? ;-) Better question is why not, and it comes back down to what you can afford.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Canon GL1 - Awesome camera, but I have had problems with ALMOST ALL smaller and cheaper models that I used from Canon ans Sony.

Final Cut Pro on Beige G3

*Final Cut Pro has nevercrashed on my machine!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ebby:

<strong>

Final Cut Pro on Beige G3

</strong><hr></blockquote>

^

|

|

• Reply 11 of 11
    i know a few people who like to shoot a lot of video and the only camera they own is the sony VX-2000.

sometimes i get some of their footage and i use iMOvie and have a 550 powerbook with 768MB RAM.

i movie is good for putting a little thing together but if you want to make a good film and edit to music you got to get final cut.