Porsche selects Apple CarPlay for new 911 models, nixes Google's data-hoarding Android Auto

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
The latest iterations of Porsche's storied 911 Carrera and Carrera S support Apple CarPlay and CarPlay only, because Android Auto siphons off too much critical vehicle information for Stuttgart's liking.

As with any other carmaker, Porsche had the option to include Android Auto as a user-selectable connected infotainment option, but ultimately decided against it, citing Google's data gathering proclivities, reports Motor Trend.

While not mentioned in the official PR line, Porsche was not too keen on handing over raw data gleaned from the 991/992's onboard diagnostics unit, known as the OBD2 in automotive parlance, to Google as per Android Auto's user agreement. For reasons unknown, the Internet search giant demands manufacturers allow access to metrics relating to vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs and other system specifics.

By comparison, Apple's CarPlay requirements are much less needy. Cupertino only queries a vehicle's PCM to check whether it's in motion, a simply safety consideration adopted by decades ago when OEMs got serious about in-car audio/video integration.

It's understandable that Porsche, a company which spent untold capital massaging performance out of -- some say correcting -- a half-century-old, tail-happy rear-engine 2+2 design, is reluctant to trade it all for Google Maps and Pandora.

Motor Trend alludes to Google's own electric car project, a massive undertaking for a tech company with no previous background in heavy industry. It would be an incredibly brazen act if Google used Android Auto as a Trojan Horse of sorts to gather intel from established car makers, then ply that data for its own competing project, but perhaps not out of the realm of possibility. Many view Android itself as somewhat of a copycat operating system built on the shoulders of giants.

In any case, Apple is in and Google is out for Stuttgart's legendary performance car. Whether or not other carmakers travel down Porsche's newly beaten path remains to be seen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    Forget CarPlay and Android Auto, i'm waiting for Microsoft's version of a car info system.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Porsche's chooses? What's that means?
  • Reply 3 of 62
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    staticx57 wrote: »
    Forget CarPlay and Android Auto, i'm waiting for Microsoft's version of a car info system.
    keep waiting. MS will have it when their mobile market share reach 10% in 10 years or so.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Porsche's chooses? What's that means?

It mean what you thinks it mean.

• Reply 5 of 62

fallenjt wrote: »
    keep waiting. MS will have it when their mobile market share reach 10% in 10 years or so.

They had it, it's called Sync. 1.0 worked, 2.0 was buggy so Ford dumped them and went with Blackberry's QNX for version 3.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Given that the Piech/Porsche family is now taking over control of Volkswagen (parent company) it will be interesting to see if all of Volkswagen and its subsidiaries adopt CarPlay exclusively?
  • Reply 7 of 62
    emoeller wrote: »
    Given that the Piech/Porsche family is now taking over control of Volkswagen (parent company) it will be interesting to see if all of Volkswagen and its subsidiaries adopt CarPlay exclusively?

That would be a nice change, considering the sluggishness VW has demonstrated thus far regarding CarPlay implementation.
  • Reply 8 of 62

That's really strange. Usually it's Apple making all kinds of demands of its partners.

• Reply 9 of 62
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    This is bs. The real reason of the switch is likely to be exactly 0 customers (outside of googleplex) having android phones.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... a massive undertaking for a tech company with no previous background in heavy industry. ...

And precious little experience in any consumer hardware for that matter.

Real consumers.  Not alpha-geek wannabes.

• Reply 11 of 62

@staticx57

What? You've already forgotten about Microsoft Sync? It's okay, so has Ford.

Or maybe you remember their earlier smash success, car.net.

Which built upon the strong foundation laid down by Auto PC.

• Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

Microsoft has solved all of Sync's problems: they renamed it.

Microsoft's strategy is like playing slot machines: try, try again.

• Reply 13 of 62

Hahaha
  • Reply 14 of 62
    emoeller wrote: »

It hat would be nice. Although, i imagine that many VW, Seat and Skoda buyers have an android.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Good job, Google. Good job.
  • Reply 16 of 62

Lol. Thanks man. I needed the comedy to lighten today's stress.

Microsoft launched Sync a while back. It's not very good.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Wow. Can't wait until police/insurance companies catch on this. google will be an excellent source of information about accidents...

I wonder if Google inform their users that they are receiving this specific information whenever they have their phones connected in their cars? Not a vague "we collect some information from your vehicle", but exactly what they are tracking in exchange for just permitting you to connect your phone to your car.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

Let's not forget that time Windows NT took down a Navy ship.  It had to be towed by to port.

• Reply 19 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple CarPlay: There Is No Substitute.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Lol. Thanks man. I needed the comedy to lighten today's stress.

Microsoft launched Sync a while back. It's not very good.

I hoped you actually realized this was a joke, I guess I made it too serious for some here :)