Rumor: iPad Pro, Apple Pencil & Smart Keyboard to go on sale first week of November

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
Rumors out of the Far East on Monday claim Apple is preparing to start sales of its massive 12.9-inch iPad Pro in the first week of November, a date thought to coincide with the debut of device-specific accessories like the pressure sensitive Apple Pencil stylus.

The report from Japanese blog Mac Otakara is light on details, but does cite reliable sources with knowledge of Apple's Chinese supply chain as conveying an expected November launch window.

When Apple announced iPad Pro in September, the company did not specify an exact sales date, instead saying the large slate would ship sometime in "November." Apple's official webpages for iPad Pro and its accompanying accessory lineup are still showing "Available November," no change from last month.

With the debut of its largest tablet to date, Apple is introducing an advanced stylus called Apple Pencil that works in conjunction with specialized iPad hardware to determine tilt and pressure. The system allows users to employ natural drawing motions to achieve lifelike onscreen renditions of brush, pen and pencil strokes.

Apple is also marketing a keyboard/cover accessory called Smart Keyboard that attaches to iPad Pro via the new Smart Connector port. The keyboard supports iOS 9 shortcuts for app switching, text entry, app control and more.

Apple's iPad Pro starts at $799 for a 32GB Wi-Fi model, while a $949 version comes packed with 128GB of storage. A top-end 128GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model is priced at $1079. Apple Pencil will carry a retail price of $99, and the addition of a Smart Keyboard will set customers back another $169.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    rsbellrsbell Posts: 11member
    Take my money already!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I'm curious as to what will be happening to the iPad Air this year.

It'd look real cool with one of those Apple Pencils...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

My guess is nothing. And I agree with the Apple Pencil potentially working with the iPad Air but probably not till next Fall.

• Reply 4 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    My guess is nothing. And I agree with the Apple Pencil potentially working with the iPad Air but probably not till next Fall.

Because iPad Air wasn't updated this fall I'm kind of hoping we get a new model next spring. I have a feeling Apple's event in March signaled they're going back to having a spring event instead of two events in the fall

I already know what the Apple is Doomed™ crowd will say about the iPad Pro. They'll complain that the keyboard doesn't have a trackpad and isn't backlit (and is too expensive); they'll complain that the screen only has one position unlike the Surface Pro hinge. And they'll complain that there's no place to store the Pencil even though both it and the keyboard are optional accessories (and if you notice on Apple's website the only time they show the iPad with the keyboard is when they're specifically talking about the keyboard, which is the exact opposite of the Surface that is never shown without the keyboard attached). Oh and I'm sure someone will complain that they can't hook up a mouse and run OS X on it. To which I would say get a damn laptop then.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    gtr wrote: »

Apparently the rumor of iPad Air/ iPad Air 2 getting updates switching each year is true, where the iPad Air 3 will gain pro 1 capability, and maybe a pro 2 update, with the air permanently trailing updating every other year(like the iPod to the iPhone), a terrible thought, but the yearly iPad normal size update is imeduateky dead ended.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

If they didn't announce it I'd bet money it's not happening. I'm hoping the iPad Mini being updated and not the iPad Air means that early-2016 we'll see the digitizer (and/or 3D Touch) make its way into the next iPad Air.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    When is the Apple TV?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Apparently the rumor of iPad Air/ iPad Air 2 getting updates switching each year is true, where the iPad Air 3 will gain pro 1 capability, and maybe a pro 2 update, with the air permanently trailing updating every other year(like the iPod to the iPhone), a terrible thought, but the yearly iPad normal size update is imeduateky dead ended.

Honestly I don't see this as a problem. I'm still using my iPad 3, mainly because I don't see a need to upgrade it based on its current capabilities. Even Touch ID which I want, is not as big a deal as having it on my iPhone which I unlock multiple times throughout the day, unlike the iPad. I'll eventually upgrade for ?Pay, but it's not wide spread enough to make it worthwhile at the moment. 

But I think that sums up the iPad, by about the third generation they'd done just about everything they could to it. Split screen will be a big deal, but given all the things it can already do, I don't see how they could upgrade it every year in any meaningful way. 

• Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

If they didn't announce it I'd bet money it's not happening. I'm hoping the iPad Mini being updated and not the iPad Air means that early-2016 we'll see the digitizer (and/or 3D Touch) make its way into the next iPad Air.

I would love to see that as well but I'd be surprised if they did that soon. If so, then great, but my bet is more likely Fall 2016

• Reply 10 of 27
    I am waiting to get the iPad Pro as a MacBook replacement because I do more work more with iOS apps than desktop apps now. Plus everything can go to the cloud. Let's see if it increases productivity because my 3 year old MacBook doesn't really inspire me anymore.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    CANT WAIT! I want it all.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

I would love to see that as well but I'd be surprised if they did that soon. If so, then great, but my bet is more likely Fall 2016

That's where I'd expect it, too, but I hope we can stagger the releases a little more throughout the year as I'm not a fan of so much being dumped at one time. Besides making it more difficult to focus as much on one device, I'd think it would also make it harder for people on a budget with some disposable income to buy as much from Apple if by the time the "newness" of a new purchase wears off they decide to wait until the next release to buy other stuff released around the same time. But that's just my take on it, and my brain power clearly is far below what Apple has at their disposable in their marketing department, not to mention all the inside-information for which I'm not privy.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

This is the thing I've been waiting for.

• Reply 14 of 27
    Apple could also position the Pencil as a drawing tool for kids, not just professionals. The challenges would be (a) high cost of iPad Pro [as a kids accessory] and (b) damage to Pencil when kids throw it in the table, floor, etc. But someday...
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That's where I'd expect it, too, but I hope we can stagger the releases a little more throughout the year as I'm not a fan of so much being dumped at one time. Besides making it more difficult to focus as much on one device, I'd think it would also make it harder for people on a budget with some disposable income to buy as much from Apple if by the time the "newness" of a new purchase wears off they decide to wait until the next release to buy other stuff released around the same time. But that's just my take on it, and my brain power clearly is far below what Apple has at their disposable in their marketing department, not to mention all the inside-information for which I'm not privy.

Don't forget, there is still Apple Watch, and MB / MBP still need Skylake update. And there's the rumor of an Apple TV service. Those could make for a March event.

• Reply 16 of 27
    solipsismy wrote: »

The current iPads may need a sales bounce back before Apple pours more into them. However, if the 3D Touch really catches fire on the iPhones, then it looks better for the iPads next year at the developer conference.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    would be killer for drawing and photo editing
  • Reply 18 of 27
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

Some don't think it will, but between Notes & Markup I don't see why they wouldn't bring the tech to the whole lineup.

On another note

$1079
    +100
    +100
    _________
    $1279

Damn that's a chunk of change for an iPad. Now I've never ever needed my iPad when not on wifi, and I'll never need the keyboard, so that puts me back down near "only" a grand, but still. I think I'll hold out till next fall. Maybe get a 64GB [Air] without cellular + Pencil.
  • Reply 19 of 27

It's a VERY large chunk of change and I would have liked to have seen a 64G between the 32 and 128.

• Reply 20 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    It's a VERY large chunk of change and I would have liked to have seen a 64G between the 32 and 128.

But for what purpose? You now pay $150 for an extra 96GB. Would you rather pay $75 for 32GB?