Microsoft exec jabs at Apple, tweets drawing of 'converged' toaster and refrigerator

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why do they have to? Is a product that doesn't take the world by storm automatically a failure?

Why shouldn’t Microsoft be held to the same standard as Apple? When an Apple product doesn’t ‘take the world by storm’ it is indeed labeled as an immediate failure. See Apple Music, Apple Pay, Apple Watch, Apple TV all declared failures because they didn’t immediately dominate their respective markets.

• Reply 22 of 99
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    TIP: Don't make cartoons reminding people of the weaknesses of your own products. Focus on the strengths and less the weaknesses be forgotten.

P.S. Here's the iPad keyboard lineage as I understand it:

1. iOS is a touch OS which in which Apple included support for external keyboards for ages, even pre-iPad.

2. iPad 1--which had an Apple-brand keyboard accessory (also a charger) from day one.

3. Third-party iPad folios etc. that gave the iPad a keyboard cover.

4. Apple sold and promoted these 3rd-party keyboards, while also selling their first-party Bluetooth keyboard, specifically stating iPad support. (Apple has never NOT been in the iPad keyboard business.)

5. iPad 2 Smart Cover: snaps on by magnet, folds, wakes the iPad.

6. Logitech took Apple's Smart Cover further, crossing it with the folio concept, to make their snap-on Keyboard Covers that would wake the iPad. (But did not fold.)

7. Other accessory makers did the same. Apple keeps on selling keyboards.

8. Microsoft copied Logitech%u2014still no folding%u2014except with worse keys, and the addition of a trackpad because they have a different plan: make old-style desktop stuff run on mobile. (A short-sighted tactic, but yes, it does have its uses.)

9. iPad Pro adds a keyboard to the Smart Cover in a NEW way: one which retains the folding Apple created long ago, to double as a stand.

10. Everyone says that #9 is Apple copying of #8, ignoring #1 through #7 including the whole Smart Cover concept itself, an Apple invention, and the fact that Apple has made and sold iPad keyboards from the start.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    What's telling is that they still don't get it: it's the software, stupid. Apple's iPad Pro is a tablet, with software built for a tablet. The Slate is a desktop OS grafted to a mobile OS. Frankenputer.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The entire Android OS is spyware/adware.  

NEXT.

You do realize that even Apple in their TOS reserves the right to track you and advertise to you accordingly. Just like Google does.

Of course you can opt out on either platform.

Also for what its worth I have found the ability to use Ghostery and Adblock on Android for many years now to be pretty powerful and granular as far as white listing.

Thankfully with iOS9 I finally have some options to do the same thing and browsing the web in Safari on my iPad has once again become a joy. Before iOS9 with ad blockers, surfing on the iPad felt like an adware delivery system.

• Reply 25 of 99
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Surface 4. The worst of both worlds.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Why do they have to? Is a product that doesn't take the world by storm automatically a failure?

That is the performance standard trolls measure Apple by, yes. See Benjamin Frost.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wigby wrote: »

I don't know. Ask their shareholders. Ask their developers. Ask their Windows Phone (or whatever it's called this week) users. Ask anyone who's complaining about Windows 10.

The funny thing is Apple did copy some aspects of the Surface but that doesn't mean Apple was wrong. They were more right than MS. Microsoft could've sat out of this race for a few years and wouldn't have suffered terrible Surface sales but they didn't. They never do. They jump on a technology without thinking and suffer for it. That's why they will never take the world by storm for anything which is the definition of failure in the tech world.

Why would they sit out of a race that they've been in since the beginning? They had the right ideas, but the implementation was way off.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

What's telling is that they still don't get it: it's the software, stupid. Apple's iPad Pro is a tablet, with software built for a tablet. The Slate is a desktop OS grafted to a mobile OS. Frankenputer.

Exactly!!

• Reply 29 of 99
    sog35 wrote: »
    In 2012 the tech was not ready for a tablet with PC power.  Microsoft tried with the Surface but it was way to heavy, bulky, and battery life to short.

Now in 2015 having a Tablet with desktop power is possible as seen with the iPad Pro.  The Pro is light enough and has a battery life long enough to qualify as a true tablet without compromises.  IMO, the Surface Pro is still too heavy and bulky to be considered a tablet.  

The Surface Pro is Windows Tablet PC version 4.0. They keep trying to achieve Bill Gates' turn of the century dream of tablets everywhere. iPad ate their lunch.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    techlover wrote: »
    The pot shots that these guys take at each other is getting a little old.

It's sort of entertaining, but mostly makes for great troll food.

Anyone want a hot cup of "Toxic Hellstew"? Check out some of our recent security issues like with Xcode.

My recommendation is that non of these guys should throw stones when their own products have issues as well.

Lame attempt to smear Apple with the China-only Xcode hack.

So roughly 1/3 of the world's population don't count for anything? It's fine if they get hacked? That's an appeaser's "eat me last" mindset.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why give anyone credit for a half-assed design and implementation?

The vision...not the implementation as I noted.

Quote:

Give them credit for what?

All they did was copy the iPad and stick a keyboard.  That's not innovation.  In fact iPads had keyboards WAY before the Surface came out.  Their claim to fame was having an OS that would 'work' for both desktop and mobile platforms. Unfortuantly they totally messed that up with Windows8.  They did such a horrible job that they skipped to Windows 10 to get away from the stench.

The SurfacePro is just a laptop with a touch screen.  Nothing innovative at all

Never suggested innovation...as I noted, nothing is original. Everyone borrows from everyone.

How is the iPad, not becoming just a laptop with a touch screen? To be accurate, the original iPad had a keyboard dock...nothing like the MS keyboard cover.

You can't argue the iPad has evolved from being primarily a consumption device to a full fledged productive tool. And in order to do so, has come out with their own keyboard cover and stylus. 

What I'm simply suggesting is that MS, while clumsy, took that road earlier and deserve to be noted for doing so. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

wait, what vision? putting full Windows on an iPad-inspired tablet? that's just more Windows-everywhere, not vision.

Sure...as long as we're consistent and balanced in our criticism IF and when Apple merges iOS with Mac OS. 

• Reply 32 of 99
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why would they sit out of a race that they've been in since the beginning? They had the right ideas, but the implementation was way off.

Was Apple sitting out by waiting until now to introduce a hybrid tablet/keyboard? Was Apple sitting out by not introducing the new Apple TV sooner or the Apple Watch? In technology, waiting for technology and vision to merge is much more important than getting there first. MS didn't learn this with tablets the first time and still do not understand it now. I'm sure they've learned a few things over the past few years by putting Surface out there but they've also lost tons of money, marketshare to Apple and Google and most importantly, mindshare with their customers. We all know the latest Surface is a good product but no one trusts them because they've moved too quickly and made too many mistakes in the past. Why buy from a company that cannot be trusted to do anything right except for Xbox and enterprise solutions and services?

• Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why shouldn’t Microsoft be held to the same standard as Apple? When an Apple product doesn’t ‘take the world by storm’ it is indeed labeled as an immediate failure. See Apple Music, Apple Pay, Apple Watch, Apple TV all declared failures because they didn’t immediately dominate their respective markets.

I need a citation where someone with credibility has labeled Apple Music, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch failures.

• Reply 34 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I need a citation where someone with credibility has labeled Apple Music, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch failures.

He didn't say credible people, his point was surely that the majority of the tech media certainly love to slam Apple at every chance as having failed. It is their number one click bait strategy after all. Then you have the Wall Street types deliberately doing the same to manipulate APPL to their own advantage. So all in all I'd say ikrupp's point is very valid.

Of course the reason Microshit isn't held to the same standards is they are failing underdog these days.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    bappobappo Posts: 24member
    Well, the iPad Pro is not a converged device, it is still a tablet, and do not run Mac applications.
    Surface is a a converged device. Personally, i share the Apple view of things.

But the new Microsoft is a lot more culturally agile, i would not be surprised to find something interesting in the new stuff.

And competition is good, both for Microsoft and for Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Quote:

In 2012 the tech was not ready for a tablet with PC power.  Microsoft tried with the Surface but it was way to heavy, bulky, and battery life to short.

Now in 2015 having a Tablet with desktop power is possible as seen with the iPad Pro.  The Pro is light enough and has a battery life long enough to qualify as a true tablet without compromises.  IMO, the Surface Pro is still too heavy and bulky to be considered a tablet.  

I'm not sure Microsoft has succeeded so well with convergence even on my wife's Surface Pro 3 running 8.1.  It reminds me very much of Windows Mobile 6.5 - a thin veil over the old UI, so anything other than web browsing or email requires the stylus, not to mention the fact that some websites require the "desktop" browser instead of the one you use with touch (seems to be silverlight-based).

• Reply 37 of 99
    lkrupp wrote: »

Then why stop at Microsoft? Why isn't every company held to the Apple standard? When you really look at it the only product that really took the world by storm was the iPad. It took the iPhone years before it reached its current status in the realm of smartphones. Anyone that writes an article claiming that Apple Music, Pay, and Watch are failures knows nothing of the subject matter, and can only write something inflammatory to justify their existence.
  • Reply 38 of 99

The thing with the Surface, as others have noted, is that it really isn't a tablet, but rather a laptop has a pull-away keyboard.  With the iPad Pro, Apple seems to be promoting the thing that will undoubtably drive sales of the device - use as a drawing / design / creative tool.  Using a big tablet for normal mobile / computing might make sense for those needing 10 hours of battery life and a thin and light format, but I still say that normal email and web tasks are easier done with a laptop, standard keyboard and trackpad.  Touching the screen while using the keyboard is an almost unusable way to interact with a computer.  Anyone who says it works with either iPad or Surface device or any of the touch screen laptops and convertibles is fooling themselves or wants to constantly be working out their arms by holding them in the air, while trying to maintain a steady hand on a small screen...

• Reply 39 of 99
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

While no link I present will probably satisfy your definition of credible here is...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2015/10/05/apple-music-failure/

I’m certainly not saying Apple Music has failed but there are plenty of pundits of varying ‘credibility’ that say it has. My point was to the post I responded to in that Apple is held to an impossible standard of being expected to launch one home run product after another but other companies are judged by a different standard. 

• Reply 40 of 99
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok I'm confused. I thought the whole point of the Surface was to show you could have your cake and eat it too, that a "tablet" could replace your laptop. Yet today Microsoft announces a Surface laptop. What happened to that whole convergence thing?