Microsoft unveils Surface Book laptop & Surface Pro 4 tablet with new Surface Pen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 251
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Are those air vents on the top edge?

Possibly.  Either that or for sound.  But I was trying to wrap my head around that gap...

• Reply 22 of 251

Pretty sure the vents on the display are there because they put fans in there. According to the good commenters on the Verge anyway. They're all losing their minds over there over these things. Like it's the best thing ever created. In fact, I think I saw someone actually post that.

• Reply 23 of 251
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oh God they pulled a Sammy.

I hate how all these companies are trying to trick you into thinking you're using a MacBook.
    coolfactor wrote: »
    I'm impressed. Apple is losing its edge to these competitors. Light, thin, elegant.... no longer Apple-defining characteristics.

Copies Apple's characteristics.
    Fans say it's better than Apple.

You're sounding like a fandroid.
  • Reply 24 of 251

I can see that flex-hinge being a piece that breaks when placed in a bag with books or any large pressure is applied. Depends on how attached the top screen part is into it.

• Reply 25 of 251
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Their Surface and Surface Book designs look awful! The Surface looks like a broken chair and what's with the Surface Book ridiculous hinge?! Steve Jobs was right.. MS has no taste.

• Reply 26 of 251
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I don't understand their products. Surface Book Laptop? And its not the same thing as the Surface 4? What?

Make a laptop.

Make a tablet.

For crying out loud make ANYTHING that is good at being ONE THING, Microsoft.

Surface is now a broad brand (maybe for all their own PC hardware, maybe a sub-brand akin to "Air" for Apple, we will see how it develops):

Surface Book - a laptop (where you can detach the screen if you absolutely have to)

Surface 4 - a tablet (where you can attach a keyboard if you absolutely have to)

I don't know how good the products are, but the branding is pretty straight forward.

• Reply 27 of 251
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Their Surface and Surface Book designs look awful! The Surface looks like a broken chair and what's with the Surface Book ridiculous hinge?! Steve Jobs was right.. MS has no taste.

I think that hinge is cool. It's different, eye-catching. I tell you... if Apple came out with that, people here that are calling it ugly would see things in a very different light.

• Reply 28 of 251
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I wouldn't exactly call this elegant...

That is indeed terrible

• Reply 29 of 251
    Meh. Apple may have some people scratching their heads a bit about the iPad Pro, but they're doing a far more respectable job of evolving the hardware and software, and keeping both tightly integrated. While they invest development into software features like App Thinning, Windows remains a clunky beast, and it's almost a certainty that a 128gb Surface [U]still[/U] leaves you with a mere 83gb of storage. And the top end version is $2800?! WOW. So much for the old claim that "PC's are cheaper".
  • Reply 30 of 251
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I think that hinge is cool. It's different, eye-catching. I tell you... if Apple came out with that, people here that are calling it ugly would see things in a very different light.

You mean like how everyone loves the antenna lines on the new iPhones? Know if Apple released a laptop with the hideous hinge like that everyone would be mocking it.

But I see the Microsoft Astroturfers are out in full force today.
  • Reply 31 of 251
    All I can do is LOL...
  • Reply 32 of 251
    Quote:

Not sure what you are referring to... 13" screen is plenty big enough (same as a MacBook, which runs MS Office just fine), and 267dpi would make for a very crisp screen. I'm no Microsoft fan, but your response does not match reality at all.

Oh, yes, the screen is very crisp. In "Metro" mode, it works very nicely as a tablet, the only problem is that nobody writes metro apps. In legacy mode, however, the crisp screen ends up giving you tiny, tiny type and a UI that can't be used unless you have a magnifying glass. At least, that's my experience on the Surface Pro 2. The biggest selling point is the support for legacy apps, but the way it's done they're not exactly very usable. And there are virtually no "new" apps in the app store. Other than that, the hardware is really well done.

• Reply 32 of 251
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

It is ugly and functionally it is a disaster waiting to happen. It creates unsupported gap between the keyboard and screen that could cause damage to both if pressure if applied (like when in a carrying bag with books).

• Reply 34 of 251
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

You're impressed that someone is trying to out-Apple Apple?  Where have you been for the last decade or two?

[Edit: Quadra60 beat me to that turn-of-phrase...]

Well, considering that I registered at AppleInsider forums in 2004, that means that I would've been here, right here, for the last decade. ;) But I guess I haven't established my own reputation around here. I LOVE Apple products, but I'm not blind to the efforts of the competition. Someone here just claimed I'm sounding like a Fandroid, but those types say negative stuff about Apple. I'm not doing that. I think Apple's designs are great. I just think that the competition is also doing a great job at creating good designs. No more clunky, bulky hardware. Software, though, makes all the difference, and nobody can catch Apple there. 

• Reply 35 of 251
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I still find it strange that MS is pushing the touch screen laptop form factor. Having your hands in front of you in the flat plane, resting on the keyboard, is natural, since it takes little to no muscle to type on the keyboard. But once you have to touch the screen, you're then needing to hold not just your hand (unless you have strangely long, alien-like, fingers) and your arm up, which then makes your hand and fingers less stable, in order to touch the screen. It's just really really poor form and a bad idea.

I assume you will use the touchscreen only if you detached the screen.  I don't know if this makes sense, but maybe MS thinks that if you need a laptop, you buy the Surface Pro and when you get on a plane, you can leave the keyboard in your luggage and just take the table on to watch movies?

• Reply 36 of 251
    Using this monstrosity would be quite a juggling act.
  • Reply 37 of 251
    solipsismy wrote: »
    If AnandTech's preliminary iPhone 6S-series benchmarks are anything to go by, the iPad Pro with an A9X ARM chip will be a much better value than this MS Surface Pro* with an Intel chip.

* They call it a Surface Pro but are they even still making the MS Surface with the ARM processor?

The A9x faster then an Intel Skylake based i-Series 5 or 7 chip? Lol. Not a chance. If the A9x was remotely close in speed then Apple would be using it instead of Intel because it is less expensive and further increase profit margins.
  • Reply 38 of 251
    I'm impressed. Apple is losing its edge to these competitors. Light, thin, elegant.... no longer Apple-defining characteristics.

When Apple does thin-and-light it's "an unhealthy obsession"
    When Microsoft does thin-and-light it's "impressive"
  • Reply 39 of 251
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

wait, what? because competitors are getting better, Apple is losing its magic? that doesn't make sense. it's not a zero sum game.
  • Reply 40 of 251
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    All I can do is LOL...

The Microsoft astroturfers are out in full force today. I saw one post on MacRumors that claimed Microsoft was 10 years ahead of Apple. lol

And I'll bet very few in the media will be asking what the point is of SurfacePro and SurfaceBook since they're both touchscreen, both have a detachable screen and both run the same OS. I thought the whole point of Surface was it the perfect compromise; it was a tablet when you wanted it to be and a laptop when you needed it to be. So what are they saying with SurfaceBook, that SurfacePro is a poor laptop? Because I'd argue it's a pretty poor tablet too.