Microsoft unveils Surface Book laptop & Surface Pro 4 tablet with new Surface Pen

Comments

• Reply 41 of 251
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I don't understand their products. Surface Book Laptop? And its not the same thing as the Surface 4? What?

Make a laptop.

Make a tablet.

For crying out loud make ANYTHING that is good at being ONE THING, Microsoft.

no kidding. 

we have a couple Surfaces in the office for testing.

Odd little bird.

great build quality

snappy performance. 

but is has a fan and it's really think and heavy.

doesn't know what it's trying to be.

• Reply 42 of 251
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    portcity wrote: »
    The A9x faster then an Intel Skylake based i-Series 5 or 7 chip? Lol. Not a chance. If the A9x was remotely close in speed then Apple would be using it instead of Intel because it is less expensive and further increase profit margins.

Right because apps designed for x86 are easily portable to ARM. Same with running Windows VM.
  • Reply 43 of 251
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I still find it strange that MS is pushing the touch screen laptop form factor. Having your hands in front of you in the flat plane, resting on the keyboard, is natural, since it takes little to no muscle to type on the keyboard. But once you have to touch the screen, you're then needing to hold not just your hand (unless you have strangely long, alien-like, fingers) and your arm up, which then makes your hand and fingers less stable, in order to touch the screen. It's just really really poor form and a bad idea.

Actually I disagree with that.  I now have a windows 10 device from work with a touchscreen and reaching out to touch becomes natural and easier than a mouse for certain things.. scrolling down a web page for example is easier on devices that don't support multi-touch on the mousepad.  

I will say however when I first got the device I thought I'd hardly use the touchscreen but some stuff just makes it easier, it may be individual choice, but I've heard much the same comments from others.

• Reply 44 of 251
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    coolfactor wrote: »

I think that hinge is cool. It's different, eye-catching. I tell you... if Apple came out with that, people here that are calling it ugly would see things in a very different light.

nope. just saying that doesn't make it true.
  • Reply 45 of 251
    When Apple does thin-and-light it's "an unhealthy obsession"
    When Microsoft does thin-and-light it's "impressive"

I must be missing something. What is thin, light and elegant about the SurfaceBook?
  • Reply 46 of 251
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    rogifan wrote: »
    The Microsoft astroturfers are out in full force today. I saw one post on MacRumors that claimed Microsoft was 10 years ahead of Apple. lol

And I'll bet very few in the media will be asking what the point is of SurfacePro and SurfaceBook since they're both touchscreen, both have a detachable screen and both run the same OS. I thought the whole point of Surface was it the perfect compromise; it was a tablet when you wanted it to be and a laptop when you needed it to be. So what are they saying with SurfaceBook, that SurfacePro is a poor laptop? Because I'd argue it's a pretty poor tablet too.
    it would make more sense if they discontinue SP for SB. Releasing both is totally dumb.
  • Reply 47 of 251
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member

Microsoft: "Game on, your move Apple".

While I won't be rushing out to buy any of these products while being very much in the market for a new computing setup, I think this is somewhat a wakeup call for Apple and I am very excited about it, if only to see Apple's response.

I feel Apple are going to have to come out and show us what they can do, where they have been fairly dormant in these areas for awhile and perhaps more interested in other areas.

The iPad pro is interesting, but I feel like it won't be made into something that is completely serious until it's gone through a few revisions,  apple has always had a very different strategy than Microsoft and I believe most people have seen it as Apple already having the right one has Microsoft's attempts have been somewhat messy, but as Microsoft start to align there pieces and refine there offerings Apple must do so too.

Microsoft directly comparing the surface to being 30 percent more powerful than the macbook air and the surface book 50% more powerful than the macbook pro, highlights Apple's need to start upgrading these models, and while we at at it the wait for an update on the iMac, come on Apple!!

The problem with the iPad pro is it is essentially running a mobile phone OS, while at least according to Apple running desktop class hardware, Apple need to scale it up or reinvent mac os x for such devices (which of course they won't do as that is the streergy Microsoft is doing that they have argued against).

With limited updates and innovation in this area for the past few years... Apple need to start upgrading there game or else the once dormant beast of Microsoft will be back on there tail. 

• Reply 48 of 251
    Good job MSFT, truly didn't expect Apple to lag so much behind.
    Next to surface book, macbook retina looks so last year! I've been upgrading my macbook every 2 years for 10 years now, and this is the first time I'm actually considering switching. The only reason I'm not buying, is I don't trust Microsoft, so have to wait and see for reviews to trickle in.
    And $1900(for 256gb Nvidia model) is a lot of money, so have to wait for a sale!
  • Reply 49 of 251

There's no point in making a detachable screen for the Surface Book if it only gets 3 hours of battery life in that mode.

• Reply 50 of 251
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    smarky wrote: »
    Microsoft: "Game on, your move Apple".

While I won't be rushing out to buy any of these products while being very much in the market for a new computing setup, I think this is somewhat a wakeup call for Apple and I am very excited about it, if only to see Apple's response.

I feel Apple are going to have to come out and show us what they can do, where they have been fairly dormant in these areas for awhile and perhaps more interested in other areas.

In true MS fashion, these products will fail to sell in any meaningful numbers at any meaningful prices.

What exactly is Apple's "wakeup call"?

Microsoft's best effort thus far has been the Surface paradigm. The devices based on that paradigm barely have any traction in the market. No one cares about them. That is their BEST effort. Yet they are continuing with it.

Microsoft: Still Zuning it!
  • Reply 51 of 251
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

When Apple does thin-and-light it's "an unhealthy obsession"

When Microsoft does thin-and-light it's "impressive"

How many ports did Microsoft provide?  One USB-C?  That's the difference - when form is prioritized over function.

• Reply 52 of 251
    larrya wrote: »

How many ports did Microsoft provide?  One USB-C?  That's the difference - when form is prioritized over function.

I wasn't aware the rMBP only had one port.
  • Reply 53 of 251
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    In true MS fashion, these products will fail to sell in any meaningful numbers at any meaningful prices.

What exactly is Apple's "wakeup call"?

Microsoft's best effort thus far has been the Surface paradigm. The devices based on that paradigm barely have any traction in the market. No one cares about them. That is their BEST effort. Yet they are continuing with it.

Microsoft: Still Zuning it!

Like I said the astroturfing is strong. Of course that's the case every time an Apple competitor releases a shiny new object. I'm sure the media has already heralded the SurfaceBook an [insert Apple product name here] killer.
  • Reply 54 of 251
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    romanmar wrote: »
    Good job MSFT, truly didn't expect Apple to lag so much behind.
    Next to surface book, macbook retina looks so last year! I've been upgrading my macbook every 2 years for 10 years now, and this is the first time I'm actually considering switching. The only reason I'm not buying, is I don't trust Microsoft, so have to wait and see for reviews to trickle in.
    And $1900(for 256gb Nvidia model) is a lot of money, so have to wait for a sale!

you'd switch from OS X to Windows over the hardware? hmm. yeah I call BS.
  • Reply 55 of 251

Wow it turns out this thing is 3.4lbs, not 1.6lbs.  Ok, now I don't want it as much anymore!  

• Reply 56 of 251
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    romanmar wrote: »
    Wow it turns out this thing is 3.4lbs, not 1.6lbs.  Ok, now I don't want it as much anymore!  

You're admitting you wanted one?
  • Reply 57 of 251
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Battery life estimates are conspicuously absent.

• Reply 58 of 251
    Does anyone else feel like Microsoft is confused? I thought the products looked pretty good but not sure what they are trying to do as both devices do pretty much the same functions. I also do not see anything here that will stop the iPad Pro and Macbook Pro/Air from continuing into Enterprise. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
  • Reply 59 of 251
    wiselywisely Posts: 94member

There will be sales for Surface series.  Same people that would buy a laptop PC now turning to Surface thinking they can get the  best of both worlds. 

Problem is that it's a zero sum game.  Microsoft is not creating a new market like iPad initially, it is trying to copy a tablet characteristics to lure PC users.

Whatever the sales of Surface, it has little to do with iPad.  It's not even a Surface versus iPad race...it is just Windows camp cannibalizing each other. 

• Reply 60 of 251
    fallenjt wrote: »
    it would make more sense if they discontinue SP for SB. Releasing both is totally dumb.

People claim Apple is confused and yet are drooling all over this MS announcement. To me the SurfaceBook is Microsoft admitting a laptop is preferable to the tablet hybrid. But they had to make it a 2-in-1 because that's Intel's big thing,