Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 9.1, third tvOS beta for new Apple TV

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple on Tuesday issued a trio of new beta software releases to developers for testing: iOS 9.1 beta 4, tvOS beta 3, and Xcode 7.1 beta 3.

The fourth beta of iOS 9.1 can be downloaded as an over the air update through the iOS Settings application, or it can be accessed from Apple's developer website. As with all pre-release updates, Apple has warned that it should only be deployed in devices dedicated for beta software development.

A handful of developers now have their hands on the new Apple TV and its new tvOS platform. The device is set to make its way into consumers' living rooms, with support for third-party apps, later this month.

Tying them all together is a new Xcode 7.1 beta 3 with support for the latest test builds of iOS and tvOS.

The latest beta of iOS 9.1 arrives less than a week after the third test build. The upcoming software update includes a range of new emoji based on Unicode 8, including a taco, burrito unicorn, middle finger, and a mysterious "eye in speech bubble" character.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    "eye in speech bubble" is no mystery - use the speak feature to read the emoji, it represents 'anti-bullying campaign'
  • Reply 2 of 20
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    The update size is 1.4 GB for both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. The last few 9.1 beta updates have been in the 200 MB or less range. Could that mean that this is a GM release candidate, perhaps?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Too many emoji. They look overly designed too.

I don't like it.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    damonf wrote: »
    The update size is 1.4 GB for both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. The last few 9.1 beta updates have been in the 200 MB or less range. Could that mean that this is a GM release candidate, perhaps?

I can't understand that. My update for my iPad Air 2 was a bit over 66MB, about the size of the previous update.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    cali wrote: »
    Too many emoji. They look overly designed too.

I don't like it.

So, does that mean you have to use them? They look fine to me.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Finally a motorcycle emoji.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

"My phone has more emoji than yours." Is that what we've come to?

• Reply 8 of 20
    zroger73 wrote: »
    "My phone has more emoji than yours." Is that what we've come to?

These are the new standard emojis. Once Google updates, they will have it too. Perhaps Marshmello does already. I'm not sure I understand the problem though. Is something wrong with more, rather than less? In some countries, such as Japan, people use emojis constantly.
  • Reply 9 of 20

come on apple, release it publicly soon so we can get the jailbreak

• Reply 10 of 20
    Does it strike anyone else as odd and frustrating how little info Apple is providing on these builds?
    I figure they are making the technical changes needed to support Apple TV and iPad Pro, but there must be something substantive beyond emoji.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Out of curiosity, does anyone still receive Siri traffic condition alerts on their phone since the iOS 9.01 update? It's driving me nuts my phone no longer gives me the alerts when I start driving. It's been that way since the 9.01/02 updates. I've turned off/on the traffic alerts, turned off/on frequent locations in system services and still nothing. 

• Reply 12 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    paxman wrote: »
    Finally a motorcycle emoji.

I feel more like a ????????.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, does anyone still receive Siri traffic condition alerts on their phone since the iOS 9.01 update? It's driving me nuts my phone no longer gives me the alerts when I start driving. It's been that way since the 9.01/02 updates. I've turned off/on the traffic alerts, turned off/on frequent locations in system services and still nothing. 

Still works fine for me.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Still works fine for me.

Odd. I guess I'll have to play around with the settings more and see. I guess I'll start with clearing the history of frequent places I've visited and delete and re-enter addresses I have saved. 

• Reply 15 of 20
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    melgross wrote: »
    I can't understand that. My update for my iPad Air 2 was a bit over 66MB, about the size of the previous update.

My iPhone 6+ 9.1 update was 1.6 GB. It looks like the iPhone update was a much bigger overhaul than the iPad. I know that after the 3rd beta my iPhone was sluggish and battery performance was significantly impacted from the 2nd beta. For instance I always start each day at 100%. It's now 4:30 pm and under beta 3 I would be at about 45%. After upgrading this morning I'm at 88% right now.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    Odd. I guess I'll have to play around with the settings more and see. I guess I'll start with clearing the history of frequent places I've visited and delete and re-enter addresses I have saved. 

When in doubt do a hard restart. It pretty much cures most system anomalies.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post

When in doubt do a hard restart. It pretty much cures most system anomalies.

I just did that so I'll have to see if it works later when I head home. 

• Reply 18 of 20

iOS 9.1 Beta 4 has dramatically increased the battery life on my iPhone 6. I am loving it. I usually finish my day with around 30%. Today it has finished on 55%

• Reply 19 of 20
    Managed to add more apps to my Apple TV thanks to these instructions https://goo.gl/jiLZtR