Microsoft exec jabs at Apple, tweets drawing of 'converged' toaster and refrigerator

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Not gonna lie, that Surface Book looks pretty sweet. Arguably the best thing in the keynote today.

Curious, does it's 2x faster speed have to do with it using the latest Intel chips and the MBP simply not being updated yet?

Not sure why you are asking me that question. It does look sweet IMO and IMO it was arguably the best thing in their keynote today.

That being said all of these companies leapfrog each other repeatedly with their release cycles, whether its in the chips, screens, keyboards, pens, battery life, thin and light, etc. This is nothing new in the world of tech.

Will Apple release new MBP's with the latest Intel chips at some point? Likely. Will they leapfrog what is on the market at the time, probably also likely. At the very least there will be some sort of metric where Apple can toss up a slide or two where something or other is 2x faster, 2x better, 2x more amazing and magical or whatever.

• Reply 62 of 99
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    These comments. SMH.

WHEN did Apple release a desktop iPad hybrid???????
    bdkennedy wrote: »
    xbox

Huh? How the f*** is the Xbox innovative?

It's a freaking Nintendo design. They even tried copying the Wii and Nintendo games (Kinect Sports, pets) and failed.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So basically Microsoft is once again turning their OEM partners into the providers of cheap junk. These aren't 'reference' devices. This is a real business for Microsoft that they intend to make money off of. So Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. are left fighting for scraps. And OEMs that aren't in the enterprise space are really screwed.

Each and every one of those companies has the opportunity to build something better than MS has. They don't have to fight for scraps when they can fight for the full meal.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

These comments. SMH.

WHEN did Apple release a desktop iPad hybrid???????
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

xbox

Huh? How the f*** is the Xbox innovative?

It's a freaking Nintendo design. They even tried copying the Wii and Nintendo games (Kinect Sports, pets) and failed.

Woah, hold on a second.

The Xbox is a Nintendo design?

I don't even know where to begin with how absurd that statement is. Having played with nearly every generation of all of the consoles I have to respectfully disagree with you 100%. I love them all in their own ways and in general, Nintendo could not be further from Microsoft as far as gaming goes. Or vice versa. 

I will concede that over the years they have all borrowed from each other. Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft have all taken ideas from each other. As far as Kinect goes, seems Apple liked the tech enough to buy the company behind Microsofts first version of Kinect, Primesense.

Most recently the worst offenders are many of the MFI controllers on the market, like the Mad Catz and SteelSeries controllers which are a near photo copy of the Xbox controller. So many designs are nearly complete copies of Microsofts design: https://mficontrollers.afterpad.com/

One example where Microsoft was innovative was with being the first to put an ethernet port on the original Xbox and Xbox Live was revolutionary. The Dreamcast had a telephone line jack, online play was laggy. The PS2 needed an adapter sold separately for ethernet until the slim redesign, and their online experience was (and still is IMO) lacking compared to Xbox at the time. Nintendo and online? Don't even go there since it is such a world of hurt.

Also speaking of failing, how is Nintendo doing these days compared to Sony and Microsoft? Keep in mind Microsoft also does a little teeny little thing called PC gaming as well, which is as big as all consoles combined. DirectX has pushed technology in gaming as much as anything else in the space. Without PC gaming we would not have all the kick-ass GPU's available today.

I will finish my rant with that I love Nintendo and it makes me sad they are not doing as well as the others in the gaming space. But come on, Microsoft has arguably done as much for gaming than the others in the space.

• Reply 65 of 99
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Only 3.5 years for a "witty" retort, well done MS, I'm sure these will sell like hot cakes cooked in a toaster/fridge combo.

• Reply 66 of 99
    Not sure who is right or wrong or if it matters. I think Apple has a better handle on when certain technology is relevant and when it is ready to be released to prime time. I feel Tim Cook's comments at the time they where made held some water. I also like the fact when things have shifted Apple made adjustments even if it meant going back on previous beliefs. It is when these companies get stubborn on their personal agendas and pet projects that spell doom for innovation and growing companies. I think certain technologies will continue to converge from time to time and we will see good things and bad things from these. It is certainly an exciting time to be alive. Can't wait to see what is next.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nothing innovative about the Xbox.  It was simply a Playstation + PC gaming rig frankenstien.  Similiar to the Surface being an iPad + MacBook frankenstein.  Combining two established products into one is not innovative.

Nothing innovative? Not one thing?

What you describe as a "Playstation + PC gaming rig frankenstien" is precisely the design of both Sony's and Microsoft's current generation of console.

Did you ever own the original Xbox? It was absolutely, without a doubt revolutionary and innovative. Its influence on consoles, online gaming, as well as third party gaming controllers are all a signal that they were innovative. Let alone the games. Halo for example was amazing when it came out. Racing against your friends and strangers (who then became friends) while talking with them playing Project Gotham was fantastic.

This was a whole new world for lots of people, ushered in by Microsoft. Before that it was a relatively small community of online gamers on PC's with headsets. PC's running Windows mind you. So still within Microsofts wheel house. The difference was you didn't need to spend all that money on a computer.

When you are innovative others follow and copy. Just ask Apple.

Of course things change and now you can build a computer that will go toe to toe with the current gen of consoles for about the same money. But back in 2001 the Xbox was a steal for what it packed in terms of hardware, games, controller, headset, online a year later with Live.

No one has come close to the innovation that was Xbox live when it launched in 2002. Sony is trying with their PSN that launched in 2006. Nintendo is a complete joke with online gaming.

• Reply 68 of 99
    Quote:

In 2012 the tech was not ready for a tablet with PC power.  Microsoft tried with the Surface but it was way to heavy, bulky, and battery life to short.

Now in 2015 having a Tablet with desktop power is possible as seen with the iPad Pro.  The Pro is light enough and has a battery life long enough to qualify as a true tablet without compromises.  IMO, the Surface Pro is still too heavy and bulky to be considered a tablet.  

You do realise that the iPad Pro weighs the same as the Surface Pro 4 ? And you do realise that the Surface Pro 4 also includes a kickstand?

• Reply 69 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WP7Mango View Post

You do realise that the iPad Pro weighs the same as the Surface Pro 4 ? And you do realise that the Surface Pro 4 also includes a kickstand?

Simple...

Surface Book = Laptop which can also be your tablet.

Surface Pro = Tablet which can also be your laptop.

The differentiator is you, the user, because the device you would choose is the one which best suits your primary computing requirements. For example, if you don't spend all your time writing on your lap, you probably don't need a laptop.

• Reply 70 of 99
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    sog35 wrote: »
    In 2012 the tech was not ready for a tablet with PC power.  Microsoft tried with the Surface but it was way to heavy, bulky, and battery life to short.

Now in 2015 having a Tablet with desktop power is possible as seen with the iPad Pro.  The Pro is light enough and has a battery life long enough to qualify as a true tablet without compromises.  IMO, the Surface Pro is still too heavy and bulky to be considered a tablet.  
    As others have (kind of) pointed out, it's not just about power. The iPad Pro may approach a standard laptop in terms of raw power, but iOS isn't really designed to replace desktop computing. You're not meant to do your 3-D animation workflow on an iPad. It's nice that you might be able to, but it's not built with that in mind.
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    wait, what vision? putting full Windows on an iPad-inspired tablet? that's just more Windows-everywhere, not vision.
    It still counts as a vision. Just not a particularly interesting or innovative one.
    What's telling is that they still don't get it: it's the software, stupid. Apple's iPad Pro is a tablet, with software built for a tablet. The Slate is a desktop OS grafted to a mobile OS. Frankenputer.
    This is pretty much it. Microsoft are still trying to sell Windows, because they know everyone likes Windows. Even in situations where Windows is not a good option, Microsoft still wants you to buy Windows.

If only they'd look at it, and realise that tablet computing needs something else. Hell, I'd be impressed if they just stopped calling it "Windows", since tablets don't really do traditional windowing, even when doing split screen multitasking. (Although, with their track record they'd call it WinOS, and hope no-one noticed.)
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok I'm confused. I thought the whole point of the Surface was to show you could have your cake and eat it too, that a "tablet" could replace your laptop. Yet today Microsoft announces a Surface laptop. What happened to that whole convergence thing?
    It's still convergence. They're just converging in the wrong direction. Instead of moving forward from the Surface Pro 3, they're trying to move backwards towards traditional Windows computers. This is because they really don't know any better.
    wp7mango wrote: »
    Kickstand? Then I'm in!
  • Reply 71 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

Kickstand? Then I'm in!

That kickstand is precisely why the Surface Pro 3/4 will be a better tablet for longer periods of use than the iPad Pro. To get the same capability with the iPad Pro, you'll need to buy a cover or the smart keyboard, adding even more weight.

• Reply 72 of 99
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Wake me up when a hybrid car can perform as well as Tesla in EV and BMW in Gas Vehicle field. The same goes for laptop-tablet devices.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Wake me up when a hybrid car can perform as well as Tesla in EV and BMW in Gas Vehicle field. The same goes for laptop-tablet devices.

And of course you do realise that BMW makes something called an SUV which happens to be hugely popular because it performs many roles very well? Same for Volvo, Land Rover, Audi, Kia etc. SUVs are the car equivalent of hybrid laptop / tablet devices. Your analogy only looks at fuel type - that's like comparing battery vs solar power for your electronics.

• Reply 74 of 99
    Quote:

Surface Pro 4 has a signficantly smaller screen area and less battery life than the iPad Pro.

Surface Pro 4 has a slightly smaller screen, but it does include 8-16GB RAM, up to 1TB PCIe SSD, and more connectivity options. Don't know about battery life.

Given that many people here were calling the Surface Pro 3 unwieldy for a tablet, I don't see how the iPad Pro can be any less so, especially without a kickstand. 

• Reply 75 of 99
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    techlover wrote: »
    Halo for example was amazing when it came out.
    Halo? You mean Marathon Infinity+1?
    That kickstand is precisely why the Surface Pro 3/4 will be a better tablet for longer periods of use than the iPad Pro. To get the same capability with the iPad Pro, you'll need to buy a cover or the smart keyboard, adding even more weight.
    Molly? Is that you?
    And of course you do realise that BMW makes something called an SUV which happens to be hugely popular because it performs many roles very well? Same for Volvo, Land Rover, Audi, Kia etc. SUVs are the car equivalent of hybrid laptop / tablet devices. Your analogy only looks at fuel type - that's like comparing battery vs solar power for your electronics.
    SUVs? You mean those ridiculous vehicles people buy because they need 7 seats in case Tarquin gets involved in some kind of social activity? Or because they have a gravel drive? And that they then try to squeeze into the small vehicle parking spaces at the shopping centre? I've never seen anything that is so unfit for purpose, whether the purpose they are supposedly built for, or the purpose 98.7% of them are put to.

So I guess they are a good analogy for tablet/PC hybrids.
  • Reply 76 of 99
    Quote:

I would not call 15% slightly smaller.  Plus the iPad Pro has a much higher resolution screen.

The difference in diagonal is only 5% - 12.3" vs 12.9"

The resolution is about the same. iPad Pro = 264 PPI and Surface Pro 4 = 267 PPI.

• Reply 77 of 99
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

THe bigger fact about this is who knew about it before it happened?  This is the first I heard of it.

• Reply 78 of 99
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    techlover wrote: »

Did you ever own the original Xbox? It was absolutely, without a doubt revolutionary and innovative. Its influence on consoles, online gaming, as well as third party gaming controllers are all a signal that they were innovative. Let alone the games. Halo for example was amazing when it came out. Racing against your friends and strangers (who then became friends) while talking with them playing Project Gotham was fantastic.

People have been doing that for years on PC before the Xbox.

At what price? The PC systems were really expensive and they were playing crappy games like DOOM, Half-Life, and Duke Nukem meanwhile the console gamers were playing Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and Metal Gear Solid.
  • Reply 79 of 99
    basjhjbasjhj Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WP7Mango View Post

Surface Book = Laptop which can also be your tablet.

Surface Pro = Tablet which can also be your laptop.

This pretty much epitomises what is wrong with MS. They haven't made up their minds either, it seems.

• Reply 80 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basjhj View Post

This pretty much epitomises what is wrong with MS. They haven't made up their minds either, it seems.

On the contrary, they realise that people have different requirements. Sometimes those differences in requirements are subtle. I'd rather have the choice.