Microsoft's retail store chain flounders in stark contrast to busy Apple Stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Microsoft stores were such a shameless copy of Apple's concept that it gladdens my heart every time I walk by the empty one at South Coast Plaza on my way home after visiting the packed Apple Store there. Such unconscionable rip-offs cry out for karmic retribution.

Nearly opposite the M/S store is a Sony store that actually predates the Apple one. It always has people in it, not crowded, but active. Sony has a good variety of products to showcase. Microsoft will keep their loser stores open just to avoid the shame of closing them. I suspect that eventually they will slowly pare down the number, starting with the least noticed ones first. Their new CEO may not have the same ego involvement with them that Ballmer did. The ones that are left will function as showcase/advertising, the same as the few Sony stores do.

Was so glad to see Ballmer go, then he ended up being in L.A. Where I am subjected to his witless antics during the Clippers' season.
  • Reply 22 of 108

We have a Apple and a Microsoft store in the same mall near my house and the Apple store is always busy. Not necessarily packed to the walls with people, but definitely busy. The Microsoft store never looks busy. Sure there are people inside looking at the various offerings.  But there is always an employee around to offer assistance, usually a few. Most of the people visiting the stores are either playing with the Xbox display outside the front entrance or one of the many Xbox setups along the side wall.

I've also seen some tactics used at the Microsoft stores that are rarely, if ever, used at the Apple stores. For example, my kids (aged 18, 15 and 13) have all told me that if they are at the mall with their friends and want something to drink, they'll just go hang around at the Microsoft store playing on the Xbox until an employee offers them a soda.  I've seen people line up for free concert tickets as well.  The only times I've gotten something free at the Apple store has been while waiting in line to purchase an Apple product, and then it's usually limited to something like a bottle of water or a maybe a muffin.

The difference in their approach is pretty obvious to me -- one company is trying everything it can to drag people into their store and the other is taking care of the people that are lining up for hours just to get into their store to make a purchase.

I get what Microsoft is trying to do, but I think those stores have more of a negative impact than a positive impact. I'm actually quite surprised Microsoft shareholders haven't questioned if these stores are really needed and what the impact is on Microsoft's bottom line.

• Reply 23 of 108
    Quote:

The San Francisco Microsoft Store is located in a high traffic mall near Apple's own flagship Union Square store just across Market Street, but while the Apple Store is usually always packed with shoppers and customers seeking assistance with their products, Microsoft's store typically has only a few shoppers at a time, and a significant proportion seem to only be there to play on a display Xbox.

Just for the humor of it...

Maybe people don't need assistance with MS products because, you know, they just work.

/joke

• Reply 24 of 108

You are correct, this is exactly the point author also trying to bring in, When there are all over retail, online ... selling Microsoft product(s), why the hell you need your company store. To showcase what???  

• Reply 25 of 108
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I have actually gone into Microsoft stores a few times-- generally to look at server offerings and gain some knowledge there. Needless to say, they don't actually have any of those products available or hilighted in the stores.

If you are going to have a retail presence, at least highlight your range of offerings, especially the things that keep you in business!!
  • Reply 26 of 108
    freediverx wrote: »
    I can always guess the author just from the story titles...

If I see "overclocked A8" in the title, I know the author. :lol:
  • Reply 27 of 108
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Just for the humor of it...

Maybe people don't need assistance with MS products because, you know, they just work.

/joke

I was wondering when that joke was going to pop up ;)

• Reply 28 of 108

The Microsoft Store in the mall near me is usually somewhat busy. Not as busy as the Apple Store in the same mall. But far better than the Samsung Store, which is almost always dead.

Having 2 large screen TV's out in the mall where kids can play games along with a giant Xbox wall beside the store doesn't hurt, I'm sure. Or the fact it's right across from Victoria's Secret and their video walls of scantily clad woman that the MS staff seem to always be watching.

• Reply 29 of 108

I never understood why Microsoft got into retail. The early-2000s era Apple Stores were originally created to solve a problem: to showcase Apple products in a pro-Apple way, without having blue-shirted idiots bad-mouth iMacs and iPods. Since then they've become the most visible and locally accessible physical extensions of the company in major population centers. You don't just go there to buy an Apple product, you can also get service.

What problem is the Microsoft retail stores trying to solve? What is their purpose? It's not like the PC world doesn't know what Microsoft is. Or what Windows or Xbox or Office is. Microsoft has enjoyed majority market & mind share long before they opened their first Microsoft Store. Is it just copying for copying sake?

• Reply 30 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The Microsoft Store in the mall near me is usually somewhat busy. Not as busy as the Apple Store in the same mall. But far better than the Samsung Store, which is almost always dead.

Having 2 large screen TV's out in the mall where kids can play games along with a giant Xbox wall beside the store doesn't hurt, I'm sure. Or the fact it's right across from Victoria's Secret and their video walls of scantily clad woman that the MS staff seem to always be watching.

You know what's funny is that my local Apple Store and Microsoft store are pretty close to each other, about 200 meters. And between them is a Victoria's Secret store. The only time people stand outside the Microsoft Store is when the line for new iPhones gets really long.

• Reply 31 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

"...instead releasing a series of duds including the Zune, Windows Phone and Windows 7 and 8."

Zune predated Windows store by several years. Calling Windows 7 and 8 as duds makes OSX really sux.

I have no doubt Apple stores are much busier than most Microsoft stores. But, for the author to behave as a prevaricator is not necessary to make a point. It only devalues the articles overall credibility.

No, that's not going to save the Microsoft Stores. But thanks for caring about the article's overall credibility. DED would be touched.

• Reply 32 of 108
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple still doomed.

Microsoft stores have much more 'potential' to grow. Apple stores are so crowed that they can't grow much anymore, saturation.

Plus KFC sales in China are down so must mean China won't buy iPhones. Since you know fried chicken and iPhones go so well together.

Either you are joking

or

if you really stand by that stupidity it reminds me of these crazy car-a-thons, you know the ones where they blast ads on the Radio at you which say we just received hundreds of cars from the factory that must be sold, 100's to choose from. Yes there's a reason why they have them because very few are selling but they push  positive spin on it. its so amusing

• Reply 33 of 108

I was at a Buckhead Atlanta mall last week, and it was the first time I have seen the two stores side by side. Was quite funny, Apple was rammed, MS store was empty. 

• Reply 34 of 108
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplesWay View Post

Same thing at the mall near where I live -- there's an Apple store and a Microsoft store. I always make a point to walk past the Microsoft store to see if there is any real traffic in there. Never more than maybe 5 customers in there and they're outnumbered by the employees. I don't even know how they break even on the retail space in this mall, as it's very expensive in that mall. OTOH, the Apple store is always packed -- weekdays or weekends, doesn't matter.

Same at the local high-end mall my wife and I used walk through on the way to work. Other than kids playing with the Xbox display, the Microsoft store was almost nearly empty everyday. I once walked in to buy something (can't remember if it was software or hardware), and it took about fifteen minutes for the poor salesman to ring up the sale as he had to reboot his tablet, log in, painfully enter information, and then walk to the back of the store for a printout of the receipt. The Apple Store was always packed, and I think it has gotten worse to the point I rarely go in other than to kill time browsing or quickly check a new product. 

• Reply 35 of 108
    I was at a Buckhead Atlanta mall last week, and it was the first time I have seen the two stores side by side. Was quite funny, Apple was rammed, MS store was empty. 

They aren't side by side. The Apple Store is on the upper level and the Microsoft on the lower level, and about 100 yards apart. Just being a stickler. Apple Store there always busy, Microsoft not, except for kids outside the store playing Just Dance 2015 on the XBox wall.
  • Reply 36 of 108

Talk about a waste of money, they are opening this behemoth of a store on 5th Ave in NYC just a couple blocks away from APPLE's iconic cube. This used to be a FENDI store I think and being on 5th Ave I can not even imagine what the rent must be. I mean it has to be at least 150,000 a month...whats the point? Sad really. 

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/30/microsoft-flagship-store-nyc-grand-opening/

• Reply 37 of 108
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

This would never have happened if Steve (Ballmer) was still alive.

• Reply 38 of 108
    gtr wrote: »
    This would never have happened if Steve (Ballmer) was still alive.

Ha!
  • Reply 39 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pistis View Post

Either you are joking

or

if you really stand by that stupidity it reminds me of these crazy car-a-thons, you know the ones where they blast ads on the Radio at you which say we just received hundreds of cars from the factory that must be sold, 100's to choose from. Yes there's a reason why they have them because very few are selling but they push  positive spin on it. its so amusing

This is @sog35. He's most definitely joking.

• Reply 40 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

If you want to buy Apple stuff there are relatively few places ago. The stuff Microsoft sells in its store are available everywhere. There simply isn't a need for them to have stores like there is for Apple.

-kpluck

Too true. If only Microsoft could understand this.