Microsoft debuts Lumia 950 & 950XL phones, Display Dock, Band 2 fitness tracker

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    It is time for that iPad Pro to get out in the wild and show
    What it's made of. MS is not a company to be taken lightly.
    And Apple needs to keep strengthening those corporate ties.
    Apple needs to works as if they are still the under dog and
    Keep on giving its best. Too much confidence will kill any
    Company. Just ask Blackberry.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scapal View Post

I wrote "relational database", they meant to have a SQL Server as the base of the filesystem.

But yes a filesystem is a database.

It's a DB, but a very simple very robust one that's tuned to a few thing, because you seldom need to do joins between filesystems ;-).

I think microsoft simply lost track of what was important. In engineering balancing one factor against the other is primordial.

• Reply 23 of 34
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

DOA.

Since 2010.

Taking bets on when this disaster of a program will get the axe...

• Reply 24 of 34
    After reading all these comments I can't help but think that Apple & Microsoft have reversed rolls. Microsoft use to dominate the market & Apple was the one who was scratching & clawing its way spending a Million dollars for the Apple II commercial, which now makes it seem as if it's now Apple has become the drones sitting in the seats with everyone carrying Apple devices, to finally breakthrough to the mainstream & dethrone Microsoft to become the most dominant company in the market.

Microsoft is now the company that is actually who has been using something that Apple has always said & that is "Think Different". And the fact that so many people are commenting on everything Microsoft does in the way they do it only means 1 thing, they are becoming innovative & designing products that are catching people's attention in a way that makes the Apple faithful take the time to comment on it. If Microsoft wasn't doing something right no one would be commenting on their products.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scapal View Post

Now they make it again, how useless and powerless is it to use your smartphone as a desktop, hey look I can make Windows run on my phone, with a big screen.

Why would one run anything but desktop Windows when connected to desktop screens? Tablet Windows on desktop screens has already been rejected by consumers. That was called Windows 8.

• Reply 26 of 34
    sog35 wrote: »
    so damb expensive for a lumina.  LOL. they may sell 100,000 of these if lucky

I think MS is just damn happy to finally birthed a finished phone HW & SW after being in beta-limbo since 2007. Even if it doesn't sell, at least now it's shippable...
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Liquid cooling for a phone? are you kidding me? How do they do that? is that a bug? or a typo?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pakitt View Post

Liquid cooling for a phone? are you kidding me? How do they do that? is that a bug? or a typo?

Just Google it and you'd find your answer!  I even saw a Rumor saying Apple was going to do it with the iPhone from a few years ago.   It's a flat heat pipe in a loop with a Evaporator and a condenser.  Thing of it as a tiny AC unit.   No need for a pump.   I was watching This old house a week or so ago and they were showing in the basement of this 2 story house the old systems of the past.  From using Coal to heat the place.  How the house has the radiant heaters up stairs where the Heated water flows through and heats the room.    That hot Water, heated in the basement would travel up, give off it's heat and then return back in a loop to heat the house.  There was no Electricity back then.  No Electric Pump to pump that water through the system.  The Hot water would rise, and the cool water would return.  Thermal Dynamics.  

So you're doing the same thing basically, but instead of heating a room, you're removing the heat.  That's how AC works.  it's taking the heat out of the room and transferring it outside.   

http://gizmodo.com/liquid-cooling-for-seriously-overkill-smartphones-1691670989

• Reply 29 of 34
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    History so far suggests that it will be a tough slog for Microsoft. Probability is high that these things perform poorly in the wild and may not sell all that well, at least not initially (although the Surface is gaining some traction -- I am seeing a lot more at work).

However, Apple should glance over its shoulder. In the longer run, Microsoft could be a bigger threat to Apple than Samsung or Google. They have a lot of resources, and they have a lot of smart people. Their primary problem recently was an utterly stupid senior management imprisoned in, and unable to look beyond legacy offerings, throwing money at pointless acquisitions. Today's senior management is vastly different than the Ballmer clown crowd, more disciplined.

Moreover, they have hundreds of millions of users, with a massive proportion of them being Apple-haters (who also distrust or dislike Chinese and Korean companies, and are yearning to get back to owning a US brand). I am actually impressed by the media buzz they've generated today. Certainly not anywhere in Apple's league, but not bad at all.

Apple should not -- and will not -- take this lightly. Nor should we.

No I respectfully disagree. These products are busy & confused. Microsoft will not pull off "an Apple" on Apple. Simply put, their culture is off. These products are cowardly because they fear simplicity.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Just Google it and you'd find your answer!  I even saw a Rumor saying Apple was going to do it with the iPhone from a few years ago.   It's a flat heat pipe in a loop with a Evaporator and a condenser.  Thing of it as a tiny AC unit.   No need for a pump.   I was watching This old house a week or so ago and they were showing in the basement of this 2 story house the old systems of the past.  From using Coal to heat the place.  How the house has the radiant heaters up stairs where the Heated water flows through and heats the room.    That hot Water, heated in the basement would travel up, give off it's heat and then return back in a loop to heat the house.  There was no Electricity back then.  No Electric Pump to pump that water through the system.  The Hot water would rise, and the cool water would return.  Thermal Dynamics.  

So you're doing the same thing basically, but instead of heating a room, you're removing the heat.  That's how AC works.  it's taking the heat out of the room and transferring it outside.   

http://gizmodo.com/liquid-cooling-for-seriously-overkill-smartphones-1691670989

JBDragon - thanks for the information - my post was more ironical, meaning how can it be you need to cool so much, as to need a liquid cooling process, for something like a phone. It seems an overkill.

What does this phone do so special than any other phone with passive cooling does, requiring such a powerful cooling technique?

Common PCs do not have mainstream liquid cooling. I wonder - how efficient is this platform? how much of the battery goes into heating up the liquid instead of moving electrons efficiently around?

• Reply 31 of 34
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

JBDragon - thanks for the information - my post was more ironical, meaning how can it be you need to cool so much, as to need a liquid cooling process, for something like a phone. It seems an overkill.

A chip with shit thermals?

• Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

History so far suggests that it will be a tough slog for Microsoft. Probability is high that these things perform poorly in the wild and may not sell all that well, at least not initially (although the Surface is gaining some traction -- I am seeing a lot more at work).

However, Apple should glance over its shoulder. In the longer run, Microsoft could be a bigger threat to Apple than Samsung or Google. They have a lot of resources, and they have a lot of smart people. Their primary problem recently was an utterly stupid senior management imprisoned in, and unable to look beyond legacy offerings, throwing money at pointless acquisitions. Today's senior management is vastly different than the Ballmer clown crowd, more disciplined.

Moreover, they have hundreds of millions of users, with a massive proportion of them being Apple-haters (who also distrust or dislike Chinese and Korean companies, and are yearning to get back to owning a US brand). I am actually impressed by the media buzz they've generated today. Certainly not anywhere in Apple's league, but not bad at all.

Apple should not -- and will not -- take this lightly. Nor should we.

No I respectfully disagree. These products are busy & confused. Microsoft will not pull off "an Apple" on Apple. Simply put, their culture is off. These products are cowardly because they fear simplicity.

I don't know

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Quote:

A chip with shit thermals?

How about a shit OS that wasn't really optimized for mobile...?

By the way, when the internal heat is transferred from the inside to the outside, it then relies on the user's hand to deal with it...

Watch for it—Windows 10 users using selfie sticks to hold onto their glowing phones...

• Reply 33 of 34
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I don't know

How about a shit OS that wasn't really optimized for mobile...?

By the way, when the internal heat is transferred from the inside to the outside, it then relies on the user's hand to deal with it...

Watch for it—Windows 10 users using selfie sticks to hold onto their glowing phones...

True.