Disney animators test Apple's iPad Pro, reveal screen has roughed surface for drawing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    boredumb wrote: »
    A characteristic of Force Touch & the pencil, rather than texture, perhaps?

There is no Force Touch. The pressure levels are transmitted from the Pencil. And my assumption is, and taking the first-hand users at their word, that the screen indeed has tooth, like certain varieties of mylar and vellum sheets used in hand-drawn animation cels, illustrations, and for technical drawings/drafting. Most likely the Pencil's nib/tip is made of nylon, and more or less "smooth" ...
  • Reply 22 of 69
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

This is great. One of my main complaints about the Surface Pro is that the screen is so slick that is is difficult to write naturally. Even my circa-2007 Thinkpad Tablet PC had friction that made note taking on it a breeze. However, I think the iPad Pro may be too large to use in most situations in the medical field, so I hope Apple offers this technology to the 9.7" iPads.

• Reply 23 of 69
    The screen probably has a "micro-granular feel on top, either post-processed to apply. Or it could be integral to the glass itself. If you can imagine a frosted glass type surface texture, but much finer, much more precise and uniform, and optically very high quality and translucent, as opposed to frosted/milky.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Some of my styluses fall out if I bend over.

Oh my. That is not a place for storing styluses...

• Reply 25 of 69

I want an app that will allow me to input music notes with the pen & have it converted to "printed" style sheet music

• Reply 26 of 69
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Wonder how it compares to the wacom stuff
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Day one buy.

Not only is this the best tablet, it will revolutionize digital drawing.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

This is a must buy. My girlfriend can't wait to get this for her art projects.

And you'll be buying it for her, like a good boy(friend), right? 8-) 

• Reply 29 of 69
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    In tomorrow's news:
    Microsoft puts the Surface Book into the hands of Dreamworks' artists ;-)

Bullshit aside.. I can't believe how many Apple Pencil videos there are out there on YouTube of people that can not draw... at all... This Periscope video is super important to see how well it performs in the hands of an artist. I think Apple should not only make commercials that highlight this, but short documentaries of different artists that use it creatively in their everyday work, with long sessions of closeup footage of their hands-on experience. It's super important.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

In tomorrow's news:

Microsoft puts the Surface Book into the hands of Dreamworks' artists ;-)

Lol, and next year Samsung will be doing this with Blue Sky.

• Reply 31 of 69
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Michael Bay is already drawing explosions for his next suck fest.

• Reply 32 of 69
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

A characteristic of Force Touch & the pencil, rather than texture, perhaps?

I don't think the iPad Pro has the the Force Touch/3D Touch display layer, just a digitizer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post

The screen probably has a "micro-granular feel on top, either post-processed to apply. Or it could be integral to the glass itself. If you can imagine a frosted glass type surface texture, but much finer, much more precise and uniform, and optically very high quality and translucent, as opposed to frosted/milky.

I'm not the greatest researcher, but I did try to look at that before I posted.  I couldn't really find a definitive answer to this, even among Apple's descriptions,but perhaps I just missed it.  Most of the outside speculation (and of course it's all only that) is ambiguous as to whether the pencil alone "activates" or simulates Force Touch, or whether it was Apple's plan to incorporate that feature in more than just its phones starting with 6s/6sPlus.  They may have intended to, but backed off that for the Pro as the pencil "developed".  So, we may not know until its release exactly what interaction of features and abilities produces the effect.  Both your comments may well be more on point than mine.

• Reply 33 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    pmz wrote: »
    Michael Bay is already drawing explosions for his next suck fest.

[video]
  • Reply 34 of 69
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh boy. This is looking better and better!

To bad I can't draw!!!  my skill ends at basic line stick figures.

• Reply 35 of 69
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

To bad I can't draw!!!  my skill ends at basic line stick figures.

Don't feel you are alone there....

• Reply 36 of 69
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

My daughter and I are so stoked over this, it's hard to wait. She's a pro photographer and editor, and I used to do that professionally.

If this works as well as it looks to, it will be great. Having the equivalent of a Wacom built into a lightweight computer is a really useful tool. No longer needing to carry both a notebook and a Wacom is a liberating feeling, or will be. I'd love to see Adobe enhance their apps even more for this. The new Lightroom app for iOS is great, but doesn't include some things. The lack of a noise reduction tool is the biggest lack right now, and one I don't understand.

Next year, I'd like to see this with 6GB RAM, and a max of 256GB storage.

Also, since Apple doesn't offer a place for the Pencil, I'd like to see a clip for a pocket. Some of my styluses fall out if I bend over.

I'm not a professional photographer, but I do it as a hobby. I'm really interested to see how photographers can use this. It will be nice if you can use the Apple Pencil for things such as selective adjustments, removing unwanted objects, etc. I imagine developers, such as those who make Pixelmator, will add a ton of cool new features to their apps to use with the Pencil. 

• Reply 37 of 69
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

But will these guys be willing to give up their Wacom tablets for iPad Pro's in the future if suitable software becomes available?

• Reply 38 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    1983 wrote: »
    But will these guys be willing to give up their Wacom tablets for iPad Pro's in the future if suitable software becomes available?

Maybe not if they use Cintiq's in their production pipeline, but the iPad Pro is more functional and a better entry point for people getting into digital illustration and paint.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    As I was watching the keynote, the very first thing that came to mind for me was the usefulness for
    tattoo art. It seems like it will open up a whole new ability for the artist to create new ideas and easily send the files to their printer to transfer to the subject. Or the client can sit at home and design what they might like and then again print it out for the artist to use.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You think going to 6GiB next year, as opposed to staying at 4GiB or going to 8GiB, is the most likely scenario?
    I can see a couple Kickstarter programs for both Pencil and Siri Remote. Each could use the Lightning port as an adapter with a magnetic element. For Pencil, a pocket clip, perhaps one with a small battery pack if that's issue, or a way too have it clip securely against the 3 magnetic pins on the one long edge of the iPad Pro (assuming one doesn't need the keyboard cover, or even just a cover with a holder for the Pencil. For the Siri Remote, a small Lightning plus with a flat base that goes under the backside of the remote for inductive charging so you can lay it down on a small pad when not in use, perhaps even on-top of the Apple TV, assuming the USB-C diagnostic port does supply power out.

Frankly, I doubt they'd do either. I'm thinking on what's cheaper. I'd love it if they went to 8.

The magnetic pins don't work well for the Surface stylus. I doubt it would work better here. It's too easy to knock the stylus off. I'd like to see keyboards have a slot for it. Apple should have done that.

I made a holder for a pen/stylus for my 6+ case.

But we've now got 4 speakers. Somehow, they could have done something there. But the stylus is too thick to fit into the case. I did think that they could have made one edge of the case have a rounded depression on the edge in which the stylus could have fit. It didn't need to be the entire diameter, just enough to give it support. Then, magnets would work.

When I get this, I'm going to make a clip for the Pencil. I haven't decided how yet, as I need it here first. But I'll do something in my shop. I'm also thinking if I can do something to hold it to the edge, but that might be clumsy.