Samsung profits bounce back after 2-year slide, boosted by chips instead of phones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    And that is where their profits belong.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Abandon your phone business, Samsung. You'll be better off in the long run.

As long as Apple doesn't run out of ideas, their phone business should remain strong. Coming soon: S-Force, the ability to sense pressure on the screen. The trolls will someday say it was "inevitable" that all phones would have this, like multitouch.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Especially as Microsoft is taking the phone market by storm with their ... Oh wait a minute ... :D

While I agree with your snark it makes me wonder how things came to be this way. iOS and Android dominate the mobile operating system market. By all accounts these new Microsoft phones are really nice but it would appear they have little chance of challenging either iOS or Android. Why is that? Microsoft’s mobile OS isn’t all that bad is it? So is it simply momentum by the two top dogs? Has the consumer made their choice and the other mobile OSs will simply struggle along at the bottom? Has Microsoft burned its bridges with the mass market. Any ideas?

MS just (finally) got their phones announced but still lacks any decent numbers of apps for it. And don't go thinking any Windows app will do... the apps need to be designed for the Windows phone to run on them. The Windows phones are an answer to a problem no one has...
  • Reply 24 of 65
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    im not familiar with other manufacturers. who else was doing it? i know the carriers were.

Motorola started doing it back in Nov 2013. Nothing wrong with anyone doing it and I'm glad Apple finally started doing it, it's just that for some reason people think that Apple was the first to do it.

Motorola made the offer out of desperation: "Please buy my phones... anyone?"

Apple, has made the offer for strategic reasons: to get more users on a annual phone replacement basis as well as denying the carriers even a little power with the end user by selling unlocked iPhones. I think that may be why some people see Apple as first. Besides, Samsung is planning on following suit and everyone knows they are second...
  • Reply 25 of 65
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member

i wonder how much of the semiconductor profit increase came from the switch to Exynos in Samsung's flagship galaxy. 

• Reply 26 of 65

• Reply 27 of 65
    Read between the lines. Samsung revenue is UP. The mobile portion of their business is almost flat. The chip business is where they made their $. PC sales are still declining, so Samsung isn't selling the chips to those guys. So where did all the chip sales go? Apple. Selling 70 million iPhones in a quarter will give Sammy a nice uptick in the chip department. The maker of an iPhone audio component also killed it this quarter. Watch Verizon, ATT, and Sprint post good Q's as well. Contrary to current analysts, expect another blowout quarter from AAPL.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Should not strong Samsung chip sales be a sign that iPhone sales is strong?

Instead Wall Street is focusing on weak Fried Chicken sales in China (KFC).  Thus Apple is down another $6 billion while the broad market is green.

I'm sick of this shit.  Apple needs to go private.

Apple should go private, but they should run up their reserves a little more first.

• Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Even more reason for Apple to find alternatives to using Samsung for chip manufacturing.

Like who?

Samsung is very experienced at making chips, be it processors or memory. 

Honest question, can someone like TSMC pick up all of that slack? They seem pretty busy making chips for just about everyone.

There are only so many companies with the furnaces and expertise to go around, and using competing manufacturers gives Apple an upper hand in the supply chain.

• Reply 30 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    techlover wrote: »
    Like who?

Honest question, can someone like TSMC pick up all of that slack? They seem pretty busy making chips for just about everyone.

There are only so many companies with the furnaces and expertise to go around, and using competing manufacturers gives Apple an upper hand in the supply chain.

Hence I said 'find' as in one day ... . I fully understand the issues. I merely hope down the road others step up maybe with Apple's financial help.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    MS just (finally) got their phones announced but still lacks any decent numbers of apps for it. And don't go thinking any Windows app will do... the apps need to be designed for the Windows phone to run on them. The Windows phones are an answer to a problem no one has...

LOL, good analysis.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

While I agree with your snark it makes me wonder how things came to be this way. iOS and Android dominate the mobile operating system market. By all accounts these new Microsoft phones are really nice but it would appear they have little chance of challenging either iOS or Android. Why is that? Microsoft’s mobile OS isn’t all that bad is it? So is it simply momentum by the two top dogs? Has the consumer made their choice and the other mobile OSs will simply struggle along at the bottom? Has Microsoft burned its bridges with the mass market?

Any ideas?
    I have no idea how good the Microsoft mobile devices and OS are. But even if they are fantastic Microsoft has been through so many changes over the last few years that it is hard to fully trust that they will remain strong and keep developing their devices and software into a fully formed cohesive set of services that will remain backward compatible. So one issue is 'trust'.

We have so much invested in our chosen platform that to change is a big deal. Even if Apple faltered I would stick with IOS simply because everything I do is based around the Apple ecosystem. I would have to be disgruntled for a very long time before I would even consider going to the trouble of jumping ship.

All to say I think Microsoft will have to keep producing top-notch devices and software for a very long time in order to convince people to move over. If they can gain trust, respect and great reviews consistently, then maybe over time people will shift. For as long as Apple stays strong it will be very hard to compete at the high end, however. And the low end... Well, why even bother?
  • Reply 33 of 65
    sog35 wrote: »

Instead Wall Street is focusing on weak Fried Chicken sales in China (KFC).  Thus Apple is down another $6 billion while the broad market is green.

Even if they did and I am not sure they could, what happens to those of us hanging in for the long haul with a lot of AAPL?
  • Reply 34 of 65
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    I wonder if CK Shin will send a thank you note to Tim Cook.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Like who?

Hence I said 'find' as in one day ... . I fully understand the issues. I merely hope down the road others step up maybe with Apple's financial help.

Fair enough.

Quote:

Quote:

Even if they did and I am not sure they could, what happens to those of us hanging in for the long hall with a lot of AAPL?

Seems to me that you get a decent premium on the market price per share in the event a company goes private.

It would be extremely expensive for Apple to go private. Not saying its never possible. But very expensive.

EDIT: I forgot to say that a majority of shareholders need to accept the deal.

• Reply 36 of 65
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

While I agree with your snark it makes me wonder how things came to be this way. iOS and Android dominate the mobile operating system market. By all accounts these new Microsoft phones are really nice but it would appear they have little chance of challenging either iOS or Android. Why is that? Microsoft’s mobile OS isn’t all that bad is it? So is it simply momentum by the two top dogs? Has the consumer made their choice and the other mobile OSs will simply struggle along at the bottom? Has Microsoft burned its bridges with the mass market?

Any ideas?

Until yesterday did not really believe in themselves.  They had no flagship type devices out there for years to show people what to expect, how good the platform is, etc.  They were stuck in the race to the bottom.  If people don't think you believe in your own product, they think why should we buy it?  MS seems to have finally realized that, but it may be a case of too little too late.

MS should be able to get some Android marketshare.   Windows Phone is a better system than Android.

• Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Fair enough.

Seems to me that you get a decent premium on the market price per share in the event a company goes private.

It would be extremely expensive for Apple to go private. Not saying its never possible. But very expensive.

EDIT: I forgot to say that a majority of shareholders need to accept the deal.

why can't a company go private and allow shareholders to keep their shares?

Basically take Apple stock out of reach from Wall Street clowns and make it stop being traded and open to manipulation?

As a stockholder I'd like Apple off of the public stock exchange and only be traded on a private exchange.  Shares would be traded on the exchange only once a quarter.  And who ever wants to buy shares must hold them for 12 months. 

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it works that way.

• Reply 38 of 65
    sog35 wrote: »
    Why can't you hold your shares?  I don't understand why when a company goes private everyone needs to sell their shares.

I was asking as I have no idea. If you are right, that's fine with me.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Especially as Microsoft is taking the phone market by storm with their ... Oh wait a minute ... :D

Any ideas?

Just goes to show that the market won't support multiple OSs. If you deduct the glorified feature phones that run Android how much market share would Android really have? If you look at yesterday's chart the one Android OEM that had some growth was LG, and I'd bet it wasn't due to their high end device.

With all these new plans to get people to get a new iPhone annually the pre-owned market is going to explode, and potentially attack Android from the bottom. The smartphone war is over, and Apple won.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Any ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Until yesterday did not really believe in themselves.  They had no flagship type devices out there for years to show people what to expect, how good the platform is, etc.  They were stuck in the race to the bottom.  If people don't think you believe in your own product, they think why should we buy it?  MS seems to have finally realized that, but it may be a case of too little too late.

MS should be able to get some Android marketshare.   Windows Phone is a better system than Android.

Speaking only for myself, I never looked at MS simply because they made nothing that interested me. To be fair, there are Apple products that don't interest me either, (i.e. iPad Pro) but those are the exception, not the rule. I am forced to use a windows box at my government job, and it really dislike it. Not a day goes by that I don't swear at it, or say "if I was on my Mac, I'd be done."

IMHO, MS is now trying to decide who its customer is. They are awfully late to the party in consumer goods.