Inside iOS 9: Apple's iPad-exclusive split-screen multitasking will enhance productivity

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115

The iOS 9 Mail app allows attachments from cloud drives such as iCloud and DropBox.  Outlook for iOS 8 already had this capability, so it was overdue in Apple's Mail app.  Moreover, the iOS 9 Safari app allows uploading of files from the same cloud drives which is also long overdue.  These two new iOS 9 capabilities make the iPad and iPhone with iOS 9 compelling work tools for many of us.  For people like me the iPad is becoming a laptop replacement. So from now on my setup will be an iPad and an iMac that I can access remotely for the times when I need to use a full-featured computer.

• Reply 102 of 115
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    majani wrote: »
    I read the tone of the original question to be attacking the quality of the device based solely on the sales. Maybe I Was wrong in interpreting it that way. That's what made it illegitimate, but asking why google is sitting on it is an entirely different question.

I don't believe that it's a device google wants on the market. It's a test bed for their environmental/3D mapping tech, and nothing but a prototype they're wanting some out-of-house developers to experience, and create apps for, as it's probably but in no way guaranteed to be developed further. For all we know, it'll be in the Nexus 5/6 released this year (though I doubt it) and that's their real release of the thing. Equally, for all we know, it'll be abandoned and that's the last we'll hear of it. They don't want to mass manufacture it before it's ready, or before it's exactly what they want.

It's not designed to compete with the iPad, or any of the android tablets out there. It's for developers to tinker with.
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    I was challenging the tone of Relic's post.  Her remarks piqued my curiosity about this tablet (it certainly sounds interesting!), so I went hunting for facts.  Turns out, she glossed over at least one.

This prompted the admittedly pragmatic question:  Why has Google chosen to sit on this product, if it is everything Relic (and you) purport it to be?

What makes this question illegitimate for you?

I didn't mean to skip over your post. I also wasn't trying to sell anyone on the Tango, sorry if that's what you got out of m post. First you can only get one by invite, second, their kind of expensive, though I bought mine when Google dropped the price to about 500 bucks. Plus It's a development platform, not to mention butt ugly, though the hardware is simply divine. No I was just stating the importance of memory and multitasking is, well at least it is to me. Didn't mean any controversy over it. Though I do have to say, it's a really cool device, I've actually mapped my entire house using the 3D scanner and than imported it into blender.
  • Reply 103 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

But wait until the new version of android has it. Then you will hear claims that Android copied Apple. No-one will mention that the Android M preview build, released 6 months ago, had split screen functionality that splits into quadrants, allowing two, three or four apps to be used simultaneously.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Do you honestly think the idea of multiple apps on iOS was some blindspot for Apple until they saw it on an "Android M preview build" and then in two months time rushed to make a highly functional version which they demoed and announced at CES in June for their iPad Air 2? Does that really make sense to you? Let's remember that iOS came from Mac OS X which already ran multiple in a GUI since even before the Mac in 1984. So how is it you think they had this knowledge which they completely forgot about until an Android M preview came along 2 months before they released a working demo at WWDC?

You seem to be assuming a lot that was never in my post. Just saying that when Android M launches supporting split screens some apple fans, if try to form, will be saying Android copied the iPad. They didn't. They simply took an old idea and applied it to a tablet. No real innovation just good use of expanding processing power of today's devices.

• Reply 104 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

It was already available on all Samsung tablets in 2013.  So what is your point?

My point is exactly like I stated. It being on Samsung since 2013 does not alter that. It being available on all android through third party apps since 2013 also do not alter that.

• Reply 105 of 115
    nairb wrote: »
    You seem to be assuming a lot that was never in my post. Just saying that when Android M launches supporting split screens some apple fans, if try to form, will be saying Android copied the iPad. They didn't. They simply took an old idea and applied it to a tablet. No real innovation just good use of expanding processing power of today's devices.

OK, but I would disagree on the innovation part. Don't look at the what, but the how. For example, was the iPhone an innovation? I'd say so, and yet it has a case, a display, a processor, RAM, storage, etc. All those things existed so where is the innovation? It's how it was created so that all the parts work together in HW and SW to make a great experience. We don't know if Apple's split screen solution is better than others because we don't have access to finer parts, at least not at this time. You can also use that example with Wacom Cinteq v Apple Pencil. I read one review that Pencil is worlds better, but since that came from a former Apple engineer more reviews will needed to get a truly objective understanding.
  • Reply 106 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Do you honestly think the idea of multiple apps on iOS was some blindspot for Apple until they saw it on an "Android M preview build" and then in two months time rushed to make a highly functional version which they demoed and announced at CES in June for their iPad Air 2? Does that really make sense to you? Let's remember that iOS came from Mac OS X which already ran multiple in a GUI since even before the Mac in 1984. So how is it you think they had this knowledge which they completely forgot about until an Android M preview came along 2 months before they released a working demo at WWDC?
    There was an article making similar points last year.
    http://www.fastcompany.com/3038213/app-economy/with-android-lollipop-mobile-multitasking-takes-a-great-leap-forward
  • Reply 107 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I do. One of my most frequent use cases is dialing a webex meeting passcode from email or calendar. I have to either memorize it entirely or switch back and forth between dialpad and email. Such a pain! There are many more others (e.g. FaceTime, youtube, notes, and so on)

Yes. I have the same problem. 

I have the invite with the webex code in the mail. But to enter it without looking when you are calling is just uncomfortable, at least.

• Reply 108 of 115
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    netrox wrote: »
    I tried it on iPad Air 2 and find it to have too much cognitive burden. It doesn't seem intuitive. I realized that if the apps are not designed for iOS 9 multitasking then it won't have a true "split view" support. The slide over will just overlay the full screen non-native apps.

It will take a while for me to tap its full potential and for apps to be fully supported for split view format.

Picture in Picture only supports in Video apps - i cannot get it to work from safari or news which I find it odd.

Yup. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done - or at least not done in all cases. I truly believe Steve Jobs totally "got it" with the iPad and recognized that the iPad is a unique combination of hardware, software, form factor, and intimate user interaction that all come together in a highly compelling and satisfying way. The iPad has never been just a "form factor" play like the Microsoft Surface. The iPad is a purpose built piece of hardware that works best when combined with software and user experience that are purpose built to exploit the full iPad vision.

All the talk about PC like feature lists and comparative specs with products that "don't get it" in terms of the original iPad vision lead me to believe that Apple has allowed the core vision and mission of iPad to get diluted. It's become less clear with each iteration of iPad about how it is contributing towards enriching the iPad vision. It's a fabulous piece of design and engineering but it's losing its soul. I'd like to see Apple refocus on adding capabilities to iPad that exist on the iPad solely because the iPad is the only possible way to deliver those capabilities in the right way for humans. Allowing the iPad to be reduced to solely competing in the form factor game against repackaged PCs like Surface will kill it. Apple already has a fabulous form factor product for supporting line of business apps and multitasking environments, it's called MacBook, and for industrial strength needs, the MacBook Pro.

Please Tim, don't let the iPad vision die in the haze of new age PC form factor mediocrity.
  • Reply 109 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vision33r wrote: »
    It's getting rather annoying that Apple limit these features exclusively to one model while it is perfectly capable on other models just so they can get sales on a particular model.  I'm sure someone will use the Apple reason that the iPad Pro has enough memory to do it.

We'll just have to wait for a jailbreak to enable this on other iPads.

How do you know iPads with 1GB RAM are perfectly capable of handling split view? And if Apple added it but the experience was crap then people would be complaining about that.
  • Reply 110 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dewme wrote: »
    Yup. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done - or at least not done in all cases. I truly believe Steve Jobs totally "got it" with the iPad and recognized that the iPad is a unique combination of hardware, software, form factor, and intimate user interaction that all come together in a highly compelling and satisfying way. The iPad has never been just a "form factor" play like the Microsoft Surface. The iPad is a purpose built piece of hardware that works best when combined with software and user experience that are purpose built to exploit the full iPad vision.

All the talk about PC like feature lists and comparative specs with products that "don't get it" in terms of the original iPad vision lead me to believe that Apple has allowed the core vision and mission of iPad to get diluted. It's become less clear with each iteration of iPad about how it is contributing towards enriching the iPad vision. It's a fabulous piece of design and engineering but it's losing its soul. I'd like to see Apple refocus on adding capabilities to iPad that exist on the iPad solely because the iPad is the only possible way to deliver those capabilities in the right way for humans. Allowing the iPad to be reduced to solely competing in the form factor game against repackaged PCs like Surface will kill it. Apple already has a fabulous form factor product for supporting line of business apps and multitasking environments, it's called MacBook, and for industrial strength needs, the MacBook Pro.

Please Tim, don't let the iPad vision die in the haze of new age PC form factor mediocrity.

What is the iPad vision? Clearly not everyone was buying what Steve "got" as iPad sales have been in steady decline. Sure it's still a great business that any company would kill to have but it was stagnating a bit IMO. I don't think Apple is turning iPad into a PC. Note that the keyboard for iPad Pro is optional and doesn't have a trackpad. Most of Apple's marketing shots never show it hooked up to a keyboard (unlike the Surface) and the demos at their event last week weren't using a keyboard either.

I don't use a computer outside of work. iPad is my computer. I've used split view and PIP several times on my Air 2 and I like it a lot. For me iPad is becoming more and more a case where I don't need a PC. I don't see iPad and Mac ever converging but if Apple can get to a place where you don't need to own both that's fantastic. I think Apple has a real chance to show the future of computing for the masses is multitouch. iOS was written from the ground up to be a touch first OS. Windows 8/10 was not. Surface will always be a compromised device. If Apple can get developers on board building world class iPad apps that people are willing to pay for I think Apple can bury Surface once and for all.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    rogifan wrote: »
    What is the iPad vision? Clearly not everyone was buying what Steve "got" as iPad sales have been in steady decline. Sure it's still a great business that any company would kill to have but it was stagnating a bit IMO. I don't think Apple is turning iPad into a PC. Note that the keyboard for iPad Pro is optional and doesn't have a trackpad. Most of Apple's marketing shots never show it hooked up to a keyboard (unlike the Surface) and the demos at their event last week weren't using a keyboard either.

I don't use a computer outside of work. iPad is my computer. I've used split view and PIP several times on my Air 2 and I like it a lot. For me iPad is becoming more and more a case where I don't need a PC. I don't see iPad and Mac ever converging but if Apple can get to a place where you don't need to own both that's fantastic. I think Apple has a real chance to show the future of computing for the masses is multitouch. iOS was written from the ground up to be a touch first OS. Windows 8/10 was not. Surface will always be a compromised device. If Apple can get developers on board building world class iPad apps that people are willing to pay for I think Apple can bury Surface once and for all.

Gosh I hope not, like or hate the Surface, we need more competition, not less. This world in which only one tablet OS your hinting towards is not what I would call ideal, in fact, it would be absolute hell The Surface is a good product, you might get by fine with your iPad but it's missing to many traditional desktop features such as a decent document management system for me to use it for anything more than a media consumption or music creation device. My needs differ from yours, that's the great thing about choice, I can buy a device that fits my needs. All this talk about dooming, beating other products simply because it doesn't fit your needs is just silly talk.
  • Reply 112 of 115
    As different from Windows or Android, only the apps visible in the touchscreen at any time are running. Any other apps open have been paused to conserve battery drain. This does not necessarily include a few Apple provided apps such as the music app which can continue playing music while not visible on the screen. With the Windows and Android OS you can have energy suckers and CPU/GPU usage running in the backgroud.

You can limit the amount of allowed apps that are running in the background with Android, it's also not set to unlimited, default is between 3 to 5, depending on memory size. You can also disable the running of background apps all together. Sorry but I prefer this approach to Apples, I'm in control. I need certain apps to run indefinitely until I the user stops them. I also get a full day's worth of battery with this concept in place so what your saying is an exaggeration.
  • Reply 113 of 115
    The split screen would be much more useful if you could open TWO books in ibooks at the same time. For studying purposes (especially in several languages), this would be VERY useful and is one reason I still have to tote books around that I have on my ipad - cannot have two open side by side.
    At least I can have google translate open next to a book now :).
  • Reply 114 of 115
    iheartart wrote: »
    The split screen would be much more useful if you could open TWO books in ibooks at the same time. For studying purposes (especially in several languages), this would be VERY useful and is one reason I still have to tote books around that I have on my ipad - cannot have two open side by side.
    At least I can have google translate open next to a book now :).

Just open the second eBook in another reader, Nook is free and actually pretty good.