New Office for Mac 2011 update fixes Outlook sync bug with OS X El Capitan

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2015
Microsoft on Wednesday released an Office for Mac 2011 update to fix a major bug with OS X El Capitan, which previously prevented users from reading email in Outlook.

The update, v14.5.6, can be fetched directly from the Microsoft Download Center. The Outlook glitch is the only problem addressed by the software, which requires that people already have at least v14.1.0.

After upgrading to El Capitan, some Outlook 2011 users discovered that the app would fail to sync properly. In fact the app would hang and stop responding, making email inaccessible for those people outside of using webmail, switching to another client, or downgrading to OS X Yosemite.

Microsoft is still working on El Capitan compatibility problems with Office for Mac 2016. Many people have been experiencing crashes with the 2016 apps, potentially rendering them useless and once again forcing people to downgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    suldsuld Posts: 5member
    Want to earn over internet from your couch at home by working easy jobs with your dekstop or laptop for 3-5 h a day, get 85 dollars hourly and get a paycheck at the end of each week and choose yourself the time when you work and for how long.

Then start by visiting this link---->>>www.jobscut7.com
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Who still uses outlook?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    What about Office 2016? Hope that fix is on the way soon because I'm running Office for Windows in a VM until they stop the Mac version crashing every 10 minutes. Thankfully Parallels have done a great job with their latest release.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    A go
    pigybank wrote: »
    Who still uses outlook?

Anyone with work email that requires full Exchange functionality, for starters.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Microsoft keeps telling users in the forums that you should not update your underlying software until you know your key applications are working properly. So it is our fault that their app is crashing and is unusable.

I tried holding off upgrading from XP but they discontinued support before having a working replacement.:-)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    gordon1420 wrote: »
    A go
    Anyone with work email that requires full Exchange functionality, for starters.

The OS X version of Outlook does not have "full Exchange functionality", it actually has only fractionally better Exchange support than Apple Mail, and you buy that with a terrible GUI and an unreliable app. If you want full Exchange support, running a VM is your only option. If you want decent support, use the Web interface, which is actually quite decent since Exchange Server 2013.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    The OS X version of Outlook does not have "full Exchange functionality", it actually has only fractionally better Exchange support than Apple Mail, and you buy that with a terrible GUI and an unreliable app. If you want full Exchange support, running a VM is your only option. If you want decent support, use the Web interface, which is actually quite decent since Exchange Server 2013.

As someone who has been using it for work email for years, I have not found anything better (I use AirMail for my personal mail). It supports a number of Exchange features Apple Mail does not, and many (scheduling meetings, looking up directory contacts) just work much better in Outlook. The web interface is decent - for a web interface, but I much prefer using a native app.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

Who still uses outlook?

A whole lot more than those who use Apple’s Mail app. Tens of millions more.

• Reply 9 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    lkrupp wrote: »

A whole lot more than those who use Apple’s Mail app. Tens of millions more.

Nonsense. Outlook 2011 is not Windows Outlook. It is the current name of the application that we had known since 2001 as Entourage. So no, it is simply not true that tens of millions more people use it than Mail.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    youngjm wrote: »
    Microsoft keeps telling users in the forums that you should not update your underlying software until you know your key applications are working properly. So it is our fault that their app is crashing and is unusable.

I tried holding off upgrading from XP but they discontinued support before having a working replacement.:-)

Thanks. Good one. I just squirted coffee out of my nose.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

Who still uses outlook?

Anyone who works in an AD environment.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

In some people's minds, just being able to receive an email in the inbox constitutes 'Exchange compatibility', hence all the talk of using Apple Mail in an Exchange Server environment.