Magic Trackpad 2, Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard revealed in Apple's OS X 10.11.1 beta

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2015
Configuration files in Apple's latest beta of OS X 10.11.1 reveal a trio of new hardware updates likely to arrive soon: a new Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Mouse 2, plus a Magic Keyboard.

Via Consomac.

Digging inside the Bluetooth settings of the third beta of OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan, Consomac discovered that Apple has three new input devices on the way, all with "Magic" branding. Specifically, the inclusion of a Magic Trackpad 2 is noteworthy because it was not included in FCC filings that surfaced in August.

Those Federal Communications Commission documents did disclose that a new Magic Mouse and Apple wireless keyboard will soon arrive, both with integrated rechargeable batteries. Both of those devices were also revealed to feature Bluetooth Low Energy support, something the new Magic Trackpad will also presumably boast.

It's likely that both the new Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad will feature Force Touch input, which Apple introduced in the integrated MacBook and MacBook Pro trackpads earlier this year. Force Touch trackpads offer new input methods, such as a "deeper" click enacted with a more forceful press on the surface.

Force Touch trackpads do not actually move or "click" like legacy trackpads. Instead, Apple's technology allows for thinner designs by simulating the feeling of a click, thanks to the company's proprietary Taptic Engine.

Force Touch was rebranded as 3D Touch on the new iPhone 6s, but the Force Touch naming remains on marketing materials for the MacBook lineup, as well as the Apple Watch. It's unknown whether Apple plans to rebrand Force Touch as 3D Touch on its other, non-iPhone devices.

As for a new Apple keyboard, giving it the name Magic Keyboard would bring its branding in line with Apple's wireless mouse and trackpad. However, there has been no indication that Apple plans to make any other changes to the keyboard, beyond an integrated battery, that would play into the "Magic" name.

Apple is rumored to launch a new 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display next week. Considering the all-in-one desktop's reliance on Apple's wireless mouse, keyboard and trackpad for input, it would be an opportune time for the company to introduce those updated accessories as well.

The third beta of OS X 10.11.1 was issued to developers on Wednesday. It too could publicly launch next week, if it's required to run Apple's latest Bluetooth accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    I will buy these ASAP, if nothing else but ti get rid of the pain in the neck of changing the batteries (even with the %uF8FFbattery charger, it's annoying)
  • Reply 2 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Batteries really are magical.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wonder if the Magic Keyboard is an Apple keyboard and Magic Trackpad combined into one product:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63833/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Chances of it being backlit: doubtful.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    With a number pad?
  • Reply 5 of 81
    ireland wrote: »
    Wonder if the Magic Keyboard is an Apple keyboard Magic Trackpad combined into one product:

I'd even accept if they magnetically snapped into the left or right side of the keyboard ( plus a ten-key number pad).
  • Reply 6 of 81
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Batteries really are magical.

I thought Apple was going to get rid of the batteries?:

You charge your magic keyboard and trackpad with a lightning connector.

• Reply 7 of 81
    mr o wrote: »

I thought Apple was going to get rid of the batteries?:

You charge your magic keyboard and trackpad with a lightning connector.

How about no batteries and no wired connection? That would be far more magical.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    ireland wrote: »
    Wonder if the Magic Keyboard is an Apple keyboard and Magic Trackpad combined into one product:

Chances of it being backlit: doubtful.
    what if a person only like keyboard and mouse combo. I mean oldies and wimen or non-tech folks? Apple must have both options. So, no combined keyboard-trackpad for sure. Backlit? Maybe.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

How about no batteries and no wired connection? That would be far more magical.

Well, if it charges in fifteen seconds - like the ? pencil - then it'd be truly magical.

• Reply 10 of 81
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Wasn't 3D Touch diferent to Force Touch? Everybody on the net seem to accept that 3D Touch is more advanced, allowing for different levels of force, while the former is just one force value. I really hope all Macs get the 3D Touch technology. If they're stuck at Force Touch, I'll pass.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy0guns View Post

With a number pad?

Include a number pad, please!

• Reply 12 of 81
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

For the life of me I can not understand why they have never offered a wireless keyboard with an integrated numerical keypad.

• Reply 13 of 81
    Quote:

I'd even accept if they magnetically snapped into the left or right side of the keyboard ( plus a ten-key number pad).

I had an idea a while back that when you start typing numbers on your apple keyboard your trackpad revealed these white numbered lights below its surface in the layout of a number pad via microscopic holes in the glass like how the power light is hidden. Or simply beneath the glass in a well done manner and you can continue from there to type the numbers via your trackpad. Don't type numbers via trackpad for a given period and they fade out.

• Reply 14 of 81
    mike1 wrote: »
    For the life of me I can not understand why they have never offered a wireless keyboard with an integrated numerical keypad.

Something we all want to know.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Or wired now. None. Also, their mice suck from my point of view. Even Ive defended their old puck mouse design recently: a terrible creation. Turns out he is human after all.

• Reply 16 of 81
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I've been holding off on getting a new trackpad (for some reason my existing one is freezing up and I have to "bend" it slightly to get going again - purchased when they first came out years ago), so I'm thrilled this is coming soon.

Does anyone else now try and use 3-D touch on their iPads? My mind kind of expects it to be on all touch input devices now that I use it regularly on the iPhone 6s.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    Maybe the Magic Keyboard will be all that rechargable battery guff with the new "Butterfly" keyboard that was shoved into the MacBook?
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Does anyone else now try and use 3-D touch on their iPads? My mind kind of expects it to be on all touch input devices now that I use it regularly on the iPhone 6s.

That sounds like a very good thing for the long term health of 3D touch.

• Reply 19 of 81
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Wasn't 3D Touch diferent to Force Touch? Everybody on the net seem to accept that 3D Touch is more advanced, allowing for different levels of force, while the former is just one force value. I really hope all Macs get the 3D Touch technology. If they're stuck at Force Touch, I'll pass.

"allowing for different levels of force, while the former is just one force value"

Force touch is not just one value. If use it on an Watch app that has force touch you will notice you can slowly "push" the screen in and out and the graphics will shrink based on how much you "push in/out"

• Reply 20 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I don't care for all of Apple's product names, but this one I absolutely detest. It's like tools they issue students at Hogwarts. Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, what's next, Magic Mike?