iPhone 6s pushes iOS 9 adoption to 57% after 3 weeks of availability

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
According to Apple's latest statistics, iOS 9 is now installed on 57 percent of all compatible devices accessing the App Store, a 7 percent uptick over the past two weeks.

The latest numbers from Apple's developer webpage suggest interest in the new operating system remains strong three weeks after launch. Aside from iOS 9, 33 percent of devices visiting the iOS App Store on Oct. 5 were still running iOS 8, while 10 percent had iOS 7 or earlier installed.

Apple announced last month that iOS 9's blockbuster start helped set a new record in adoption rate. By comparison, it took last year's iOS 8 almost six weeks to crack the 50 percent barrier.

While not a massive design overhaul ala iOS 7, iOS 9 brings a number of enhancements for new and existing hardware. For example, iPad owners can take advantage of new multitasking features like Slide Over and picture-in-picture video, while iPhone 6s users get support for 3D Touch. The update also comes with Siri and search upgrades, a News app and behind-the-scenes improvements resulting in better battery life and smaller app downloads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member

For comparison and amusement:

(Marshmallow not shown here because it was just released on the day that these numbers were collected and was below .1% at the time)

source: https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

• Reply 2 of 14
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I normally don't update until the ".1" release is out, but this seems like the best .0 release of iOS in recent memory. Will have all the family devices updated by end of weekend
  • Reply 3 of 14
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    This may suggest that the upgrade cycle from the iPhone 5 and earlier series is continuing to increase. A lot of folks don't like the crowds and hassle of the initial launch, waiting to make sure the new phones get favorable reviews from friends/family and the internet pundits. They also prefer to wait to upgrade iOS until the kinks are ironed out. I think we are now at that point and between the increased upgraders and then the holiday gift cycle - Apple should do quite well over the next couple of quarters.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Yup. Best .0 release by far. Almost zero bug but make my iPhone 6 noticeably snappier.

And ad blocker at last....

• Reply 5 of 14

that's gonna go up to 90% after the release of the jailbreak

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john673 View Post

that's gonna go up to 90% after the release of the jailbreak

Concidering the % of jailbroken devices is estimated to be in the range of 5 -11%, it is hardly a possibility, because there is only a third of what it takes to make it to 90%. 

• Reply 7 of 14
    Hey look, a pie chart with almost no context. I own 2 iPads and an iPhone. When I read about the upgrades to Siri, it was a no brainier to update my phone. My iPads on the other hand, have been running pretty smooth for quite awhile. Why would I gum that up? I use ipad mainly for web browsing and a few games. This is one big reason why the adoption rate is out of context. This is also why ipad purchases are stagnant compared to new phones being bought every new cycle(or every other). If ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't need split screen on my iPad and my battery has been at 100% for 10 mins now(unplugged). In this case I'll take stability over bell n whistles. I'll keep ios 8 until the taco emoji comes out.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lmfao absolutely! thats what im waiting for. come on jailbreak community...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy0guns View Post

Hey look, a pie chart with almost no context. I own 2 iPads and an iPhone. When I read about the upgrades to Siri, it was a no brainier to update my phone. My iPads on the other hand, have been running pretty smooth for quite awhile. Why would I gum that up? I use ipad mainly for web browsing and a few games. This is one big reason why the adoption rate is out of context. This is also why ipad purchases are stagnant compared to new phones being bought every new cycle(or every other). If ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't need split screen on my iPad and my battery has been at 100% for 10 mins now(unplugged). In this case I'll take stability over bell n whistles. I'll keep ios 8 until the taco emoji comes out.

I have to say that with iOS 9 and AdBlock, browsing the web on the iPad has become so much better than before. 

The update did not slow down my iPad at all, and things actually feel more stable as I have far fewer app crashes.

If what you do the most is browse the web then you may consider the update just for the ad blocking alone. 

• Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

I have to say that with iOS 9 and AdBlock, browsing the web on the iPad has become so much better than before. 

The update did not slow down my iPad at all, and things actually feel more stable as I have far fewer app crashes.

If what you do the most is browse the web then you may consider the update just for the ad blocking alone. 

I appreciate the insight. I will consider it. Still might wait for the taco update though :D

• Reply 11 of 14

I saw very noticeable battery life improvement on my 5s - so one example where the increase advertised is living up to reality - getting at least another hour of use.  Will see if similar results on iPad Air 2

• Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

I saw very noticeable battery life improvement on my 5s - so one example where the increase advertised is living up to reality - getting at least another hour of use.  Will see if similar results on iPad Air 2

Interesting. That is great news.

One thing I never cease to be amazed with the iPad is battery life. It's just ridiculous how long it lasts. I can stream video darned near all day with it. If I don't use it for over a few days, I swear it almost always has the same amount of juice left. Simply phenomenal. 

• Reply 13 of 14
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Has anybody been using iOS 9.0.x on a 5s? I have seen some YouTube videos comparing 8.4 to 9.0 side by side and everything seemed to be more sluggish.. Opening apps, app switching, menus, etc. Except Siri, which was way faster. I'm reluctant to upgrade to iOS 9 and losing that snappy fast feel that I love on my 5s.

OS X 10.11 on the other hand made my 2008 MacBook noticeable snappier for tasks like safari and image resizing in Preview.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Has anybody been using iOS 9.0.x on a 5s? I have seen some YouTube videos comparing 8.4 to 9.0 side by side and everything seemed to be more sluggish.. Opening apps, app switching, menus, etc. Except Siri, which was way faster. I'm reluctant to upgrade to iOS 9 and losing that snappy fast feel that I love on my 5s.

OS X 10.11 on the other hand made my 2008 MacBook noticeable snappier for tasks like safari and image resizing in Preview.

I have a 5s, and haven't noticed any impact on performance.  Battery life has a noticeable improvement.  As noted above, I normally don't upgrade early, but wanted access to WatchOS 2, so bit the bullet.  No regrets so far - really liking some of the new features and Siri support.  Note, I did a complete HW reset though after it had a day to upgrade, just to make sure no issues.