Apple's iPhone 6s 4K camera shoots better video than $3,000+ Nikon DSLR, test finds

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
The iPhone 6s shoots 4K video that, when downscaled, is superior to the 1080p video from a Nikon D750 DSLR setup costing between $3,000 and $4,000, according to a recent comparison.

The 6s did vastly better in terms of color, contrast, detail, and bitrate than a D750 paired with a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, Fstoppers discovered. For the test, the D750 was locked at 35 millimeters, ISO 100, and an f/8 aperture, with neutral processing settings.

The D750 is still said to have a number of advantages in video, including better low-light performance, a lens mount, and the ability to capture shallow depth-of-field. The camera is also naturally superior in still photography.

4K support remains a relatively rare feature in both smartphones and DSLRs. Companies like Canon, Sony, and Samsung have support in some products, but the option is completely missing from Nikon cameras.

iPhones were incapable of capturing 4K until this year, when Apple upgraded the rear cameras on the 6s and 6s Plus to 12 megapixels. The 6s Plus has the additional benefit of optical image stabilization, something that often commands a high premium in the DSLR world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    I would like to see some more comparisons, and not pixel peeping but low light shooting, moving handheld shots, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Seriously have to question your writing this. Try low light or evening or light with dark concurrently. I tried to gravitate to filmmaking with an iPhone 6 but it's not up to snuff. It's going to be years before this goes anywhere near DSLRs even of today. This guy is just going for clicks.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    4K is better than 1080p? Who woulda guessed? /s
  • Reply 4 of 53
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Lol nope, nope nope nope. But this gave me a good chuckle, thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

This comparison is silly. Of course the iPhone is going to look better when you are using the neutral setting on the Nikon D750. The neutral setting makes everything look flat. If you make it a level playing field and shoot both cameras in 1080p, Nikon in standard mode,  and not downscale the iPhone, the Nikon wins hands down. 

• Reply 6 of 53
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    I had to laugh.

This is basically going "I had my iPhone in the best possible conditions, while I had my Nikon at worse-than-optimal to take video"

Any low-light or night shot is going to be garbage on the iPhone's, there just is no way to put a large enough sensor in such a device. Now if Apple were to venture into Cameras and put a large format [URL=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-field_camera]light-field[/URL] sensor on the back of an otherwise iPhone body, we might have something compelling.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    ireland wrote: »
    Seriously have to question your writing this. Try low light or evening or light with dark concurrently. I tried to gravitate to filmmaking with an iPhone 6 but it's not up to snuff. It's going to be years before this goes anywhere near DSLRs even of today. This guy is just going for clicks.

He may be going for clicks, but iPhone and DSLR filmmakers still advise that you shoot with proper lighting. You don't need a pro gaffer, just basically throw enough light on your subject, and if applicable, the scene. It's a case of "know your equipment and know what it's capable of" before you shoot. Unless you intend to shoot your subject surreptitiously.

The idea that a camera should just "deal with it or not up to snuff" is not the art of filmmaking.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    misa wrote: »
    I had to laugh.

This is basically going "I had my iPhone in the best possible conditions, while I had my Nikon at worse-than-optimal to take video"

Any low-light or night shot is going to be garbage on the iPhone's, there just is no way to put a large enough sensor in such a device. Now if Apple were to venture into Cameras and put a large format light-field sensor on the back of an otherwise iPhone body, we might have something compelling.
    I think you missed the point. Go back and watch again. He makes his point in the final summary. AI presented it as an Apple marketing point but in truth that is spinning what the guy said to make it fit that message.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Neutral settings on a DSLR? You are missing the point of using a DSLR completely! Look at the definition of the sky, this self-claimed professional photographer said iPhone 6s looks better. Either he's color blind or he's talking out of his behind. Clearly he's talking out of his behind!
  • Reply 10 of 53
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Seriously have to question your writing this. 

It is click bait. You have to develop a sixth sense when reading headlines to know when to just ignore a pointless story. As a general rule, even the best sites are probably 2/3s click bait and AI....that percentage is probably more like 80%.

-kpluck

• Reply 11 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    bingo1 wrote: »
    Neutral settings on a DSLR? You are missing the point of using a DSLR completely! Look at the definition of the sky, this self-claimed professional photographer said iPhone 6s looks better. Either he's color blind or he's talking out of his behind. Clearly he's talking out of his behind!

Or could that be you who's talking out of your behind? His point is, as he says - "4k is the new standard - the next DSLR that we [Nikon] release has to shoot 4k"

All the photographers and wannabe's here should re-listen and home in on the message. Don't get caught in the details, and please, don't evaluate a 4 k camera on a YouTube feed.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    It's worth reading the "Featured Comment" on Nikon Rumors, which puts the (undoubtedly impressive) video performance of the iPhone in perspective.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

My Chevy is faster than your Ferrari (if we limit your Ferrari to first gear). LOL

• Reply 14 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ireland wrote: »

A number of award winning movies and tv shows have been shot with iPhones, including older ones.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    You didn't watch or listen to anything he said in his videos.

Also, filmmaking is still a skill. It is not "blame your camera for not being up to snuff if you didn't light the scene properly." You gotta light your subject properly regardless of whether you're shooting with 35mm, RED, DSLR, or iPhone.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 16 of 53
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Or could that be you who's talking out of your behind? His point is, as he says - "4k is the new standard - the next DSLR that we [Nikon] release has to shoot 4k"

All the photographers and wannabe's here should re-listen and home in on the message. Don't get caught in the details, and please, don't evaluate a 4 k camera on a YouTube feed.

The way he did the comparison is ridiculous though. I do agree, I think his main point is the fact phone makers like Apple keep up with the technology in their cameras whereas Nikon, Canon, etc are falling way behind with technology. 

• Reply 17 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I wonder how the auto focus comparison stacks up. I would think the Nikon would be faster since it has a much larger sensor for more focus points. Video is mostly used for moving subjects so auto focus is a pretty important consideration. One additional benefit for the iPhone is it has GPS for geo-tagging, not that it would affect the image quality but it could help when logging your clips later.

• Reply 18 of 53

The whole point is that a PHONE is capable of shooting video that can compare to what a $3,000 DSLR does. Yes, best conditions for the phone, worst conditions for the camera. So what? It's still an incredible accomplishment for a phone. I don't think anybody is saying that there is no use for a DSLR anymore, just that the level of quality reached by the iPhone's camera is nothing short of astounding.

• Reply 19 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sorry, why can't you just watch the fucking video before making such a predictable comment? You honestly think the guy is saying the 6S is overall a better camera than a DSLR? His FIRST comment was that this isn't about lowlight or flexibility. His point was that in ideal conditions, it does shoot better video. Which is something pretty notable and incredible. 

• Reply 20 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am not totally shocked. Video on DSLR has only of late gained auto focus and they are mostly limited to 1080P, and yes, scaled down 4K looks stunning at 1080p way better than any native shot 1080p. That said I am sure it is a somewhat silly comparison when you think of all the other factors such as lenses etc. and the point was just that, this is not about a hardware head to head, just the fact the video is so damn good. As an aside, IMHO DSLRs tend to make lousy pro video cameras compared to a dedicated pro video camera and 4K input is essential these days not just for longevity of the media but for current 1080p output