AT&T begins enabling Wi-Fi Calling for some subscribers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75

Putting it through its paces here in Hartford, CT!  It's a nice feature, especially in dense buildings where the signal gets a little spotty in the building centers.  The wi-fi connection is clear but I haven't tried another cell phone to see if the HD Voice works on wi-fi calling yet.  Calls has passed off to cellular when I go outside just fine, no interruption in the service.

• Reply 22 of 75
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Philadelphia, PA activated. Could be useful, some of the interior building locations I frequent lack decent signal.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    Woking for me in Hells Kitchen NYC
  • Reply 24 of 75
    I was able to activate it in NYC but will have to wait until I get home this evening to see how it works. Does anyone know if continuity works with wifi calling enabled for at&t? Apple's website seems to imply it won't.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    enabled in San Diego, CA
  • Reply 26 of 75
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Works in California (north of SF)
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Wi-Fi calling enabled here in St. Paul, MN.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Works for me in Denver
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Just activated here in Los Angeles, CA - haven't actually tried using it though, so not sure if it'll be an improvement in call quality.
  • Reply 30 of 75

VoLTE was just activated in my area (central Texas between Austin and San Antonio) this week. I like the call clarity and it has less background noise. I use an AT&T 4G microcell in my home, which I got free from AT&T, because I have almost no signal due to a metal roof. I wonder if I can ditch the microcell (they're going for around $200 on Ebay) and rely on WiFi calling now?

• Reply 31 of 75
    Activated in Richmond, VA.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    shighshigh Posts: 27member
    Working in sarasota county florida
  • Reply 33 of 75
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Looks like it is available on Long Island too. I went through all the steps to activate except the final one.

What would be the benefit of this if I have a strong cell signal?

I already have a micro cell in my house that ATT provided because of the weak signal around my home. I'm guessing it would negate the need for the microcell.

• Reply 34 of 75
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Anyone test receiving phone calls over Wi-Fi calling from a non-Wi-Fi Calling phone?

• Reply 35 of 75
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

Just enabled it here in Seattle. I hope it works well because although I live in a popular neighborhood in Seattle my reception sucks and I've complained to AT&T only to be told to purchase their MicroCell to fix their deficiencies.

They gave me a micro cell at no charge a couple of years ago.

• Reply 36 of 75

Ebay is about to be flooded with AT&T microcells!

• Reply 37 of 75
    Working in Dallas, Texas!!! Being that Dallas is AT&T's headquarters, wouldn't have been surprised if we were last in line!!!
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Works in Washington, DC
  • Reply 39 of 75
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Looks like it is available on Long Island too. I went through all the steps to activate except the final one.

What would be the benefit of this if I have a strong cell signal?

I already have a micro cell in my house that ATT provided because of the weak signal around my home. I'm guessing it would negate the need for the microcell.

Presuming you have a good home WiFi setup I'd guess yes.

You could run through all including that last setup step and then simply turn it off at the slider. Would you ever want it then it would be ready to go.

• Reply 40 of 75
    Works in Santa Barbara, CA today. It didn't allow me to activate it yesterday.