Elon Musk calls Apple the 'Tesla Graveyard,' pooh-poohs rumored Apple Car

Comments

• Reply 21 of 276
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The experience of losing money? Or the experience of having a cult that Apple couldn't even come close to rivaling?

I would say Tesla cult is stronger than Apple's (now). Would you?

• Reply 22 of 276
    nasserae wrote: »
    I was skeptic about Apple making a car but his reaction makes me 100% sure Apple is working on one.

My thoughts exactly.

Musk is a smart engineer but a terrible CEO. Listen to this dude on a conference call sometime.
  • Reply 23 of 276
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Betcha he carries an iPhone, the prick.

• Reply 24 of 276
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    matrix07 wrote: »

Yes. And I don't mean that as a compliment. But then again I don't consider Elon Musk Jobs 2.0.
  • Reply 25 of 276
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post

It's on MF'er. Will see who prevails. Apple has the skill set to make it work.

I have no financial stake in Tesla, but I'd love it if both companies were able to make it work and I'd like nothing more if the US (and the rest of the world) transitioned away from gasoline-powered vehicles. Iit'll take even more radical evolutionary leaps in battery tech for that to happen and it will take all-out competition.

• Reply 26 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now he's just talking crap.

I agree. Total crap.

I like the guy, admire his guts, and the way he stands up for his company, but he might have to eat his words on this one some day soon.

• Reply 27 of 276
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    If Apple can do that. They have no track record when it comes to car. (I know they didn't for phone either but this is the whole 'nother level.)

Ah, The underestimation of Apple. Thank you, your kind have made me a ton of money on Apple stock. Keep it up!! LOL.
  • Reply 28 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Why doesn't Apple just buy Tesla?

Because it's horrendously overpriced?

• Reply 29 of 276
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because it's horrendously overpriced?

For brand image (Apple+Tesla) I'd say it's reasonable. Would easily dominate EV field for many years.

• Reply 30 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

His confidence and trash talking is no different from Steve Jobs' trash talking Apple's competition. They all do it.

Yeah, but when SJ said "Microsoft has no taste," or that Samsung is a thief (I am paraphrasing), that was actually true. 

Musk's silly and uninformed dismissal of Apple products, not so much....

• Reply 30 of 276
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Musk is a smart engineer but a terrible CEO. Listen to this dude on a conference call sometime.

Or watch him present something or talk in an interview. He doesn't have come across as having that Jobsian laser focus, but he has created some great stuff, so it's really about his natural ability to present that I think is the problem. I don't think anyone here would disagree that Musk is a more talented engineer than Jobs, if we were to flip that coin.

Exhibit A:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 32 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why? What is it that Tesla has that Apple couldn't replicate?

Nobody has been able to replicate even the 3 year old Model S and it is taking real dollars away from companies like Audi.   The funny part is NOBODY is even close to Tesla in electric range and they pretty much have the gas world beat in 4 door performance. 

• Reply 33 of 276
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member

For brand image (Apple+Tesla) I'd say it's reasonable. Would easily dominate EV field for many years.

Apple will dominate on it's own. Tesla is cool but a niche. Apple will make EV's mainstream.
  • Reply 34 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'd be happy to see your analysis.

Hopefully, it's a little more than 'brand image'....

• Reply 35 of 276
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

The experience?

Wow you've tried the ?Car already?!!
    Lucky!!!

I mean half the population own an Apple device. I think I've seen a Tesla once in my life.

So yeah I'd say they're pretty even.
  • Reply 36 of 276
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

Musk is worried that Apple will launch a car before Tesla even turns a profit. Meanwhile since Apple have such a large number of engineers, it's not surprising that many have joined Tesla, however in terms of percentage-of-staff, a far larger fraction have left Tesla for Apple.

Meanwhile Musk's comments about the watch couldn't be further from reality. Tag is on the decline and has significantly ramped up their advertising and new product releases. (All of which appear to be duds so far.)

• Reply 37 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickdealer View Post

Or watch him present something or talk in an interview. He doesn't have come across as having that Jobsian laser focus, but he has created some great stuff, so it's really about his natural ability to present that I think is the problem. I don't think anyone here would disagree that Musk is a more talented engineer than Jobs, if we were to flip that coin.

Exhibit A:

Sure, he's probably a smarter 'engineer' than Jobs. So what?

I don't think Jobs lost a lot of money with his main products... at least not 12 years into his business (Tesla). This guy has a ways to go before he starts making money with SpaceX, SolarCity, or Tesla. If he ever does. Nice gig, I'd say!

• Reply 38 of 276
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    cali wrote: »
    Wow you've tried the ?Car already?!!
    Lucky!!!
    I mean half the population own an Apple device. I think I've seen a Tesla once in my life.

So yeah I'd say they're pretty even.

1) The number of people using a device by a company isn't an indicator of a cultish mindset. Sure, Apple would surely also lead in numbers, but what about intensity for the average cult member. Then you have the aspect of the lower volume, which Apple use to have; for example, two Tesla owners who meet randomly are probably more likely to start up a conversation with other than those two people if they just happen to both be using iPhones.

2) I live in California and I see them pretty much everyday when on the road, often several, although I can't recall if I've seen two or more on the road near each other like with other, more common cars. I've even seen one at a gas station... but they were getting something inside the store.
  • Reply 39 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) The number of people using a device by a company isn't an indicator of a cultish mindset. Sure, Apple would surely also lead in numbers, but what about intensity for the average cult member. Then you have the aspect of the lower volume, which Apple use to have; for example, two Tesla owners who meet randomly are probably more likely to start up a conversation with other than those two people if they just happen to both be using iPhones.

2) I live in California and I see them pretty much everyday when on the road, often several, although I can't recall if I've seen two or more on the road near each other like with other, more common cars. I've even seen one at a gas station... but they were getting something inside the store.

Even I see a handful, in the very small town in which I live (admittedly, the own is a tad well-off). That's impressive. I think they're very beautifully designed on the outside (except for the chrome).

But the inside -- especially the dashboard -- looks like the tech set of a 1980s movie. Fugly.

• Reply 40 of 276
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    So.. Apple Car is coming soon...