Elon Musk calls Apple the 'Tesla Graveyard,' pooh-poohs rumored Apple Car

Comments

• Reply 41 of 276
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member

Apple doesn't have to worry about Tesla patents.   They have Walter White like stashes of money and frankly Tesla is just a wet dream for most people who simply will not spend 65K plus on a vehicle no matter how cool. 

Apple really doesn't need to deliver an elite car.  It simply has to be very good and affordable (sub 50k).   I don't really need a car that does 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds. 

• Reply 42 of 276
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

So.. Apple Car is coming soon...

Not by most estimates. I've heard it could be anywhere from 5-10 years away.

• Reply 43 of 276
    Sure, he's probably a smarter 'engineer' than Jobs. So what?

I don't think Jobs lost a lot of money with his main products... at least not 12 years into his business (Tesla). This guy has a ways to go before he starts making money with SpaceX, SolarCity, or Tesla. If he ever does. Nice gig, I'd say!

Jobs lost a ton at NeXT and Pixar, for a long, long time.
  • Reply 44 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Jobs lost a ton at NeXT and Pixar, for a long, long time.

A 'ton'? Over 12 years? Really? I'd love to see the numbers. Do you have any (credible) cites or links?

(That's leaving aside the fact that Jobs acquired most of his wealth from selling Pixar to Disney.....)

• Reply 45 of 276
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wigby wrote: »
    matrix07 wrote: »

If Apple can do that. They have no track record when it comes to car. (I know they didn't for phone either but this is the whole 'nother level.)

Why does everyone say that cars are on another level? They are not. If anything, the tech industry is another whole level. Cars get the same crappy mileage and all look the same for years. Doesn't seem like a particularly demanding bunch of consumers to me. The tech industry demands doubling of horsepower and a brand new design every other year. That takes constant innovation.

Because roads aren't constantly changed to hog up any increase in gas mileage, and horsepower.
  • Reply 46 of 276
    Seriously, as a stockholder, the first negative sign is when the CEO publicly disrespects the competition. Reference Microsoft, Blackberry, Dell, Real, etc. Time to sell...
  • Reply 47 of 276
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Anyone know what employee turnover is a Tesla and how it compares to the tech industry in general? It must be pretty high if Musk is firing all these people for Apple to hire.
  • Reply 48 of 276
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    He sounds so butt hurt!
    What? Those employees? Oh yeah! I fired them
    When they told me they were going to work for Apple.

I smell fear!
  • Reply 49 of 276
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    2) I live in California and I see them pretty much everyday when on the road, often several, although I can't recall if I've seen two or more on the road near each other like with other, more common cars. I've even seen one at a gas station... but they were getting something inside the store.

I see a bunch of electric cars in NYC. We call it the subway. :lol:
  • Reply 50 of 276
    Yeah, but when SJ said "Microsoft has no taste," or that Samsung is a thief (I am paraphrasing), that was actually true. 

Musk's silly and uninformed dismissal of Apple products, not so much....

Elon Musk is building technology that is shaping the future. If he wants to give his opinion on a company making really well marketed consumer goods, I think he's entitled.
  • Reply 51 of 276
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Elon Musk is building technology that is shaping the future. If he wants to give his opinion on a company making really well marketed consumer goods, I think he's entitled.

Apple has shaped the future of electronic devices.

• Reply 52 of 276
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    So in other words...

they went to a company that can actually turn a profit.

Got it.
  • Reply 53 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Looks like someone is worried. Apple must be successfully poaching Tesla employees, or at least poaching other people Musk wants. In this interview he threw shade at three different Apple products. What a jerk.

I don't think Musk is a jerk -- I think he is legitimately worried about his business. He HAS TO reassure investors. It's like the 1990's and Microsoft just decided to "embrace and extend" your product -- before you showed a profit. Apple is the MOST LIKELY company to buy Tesla -- but it seems more and more like they are going to go it alone.

This quote rankles me; "It's good that Apple is moving and investing in this direction. But cars are very complex compared to phones or smartwatches." Yeah, not so much. A Smart Phone is orders of magnitude more complex than a car. They have entire systems on a chip to make the magic happen, and the CPUs in a car are slightly smarter than a 1970's HP calculator -- but with enough encrypted software so you have to pay big bucks to get your windshield washer working again (aren't we glad we solved the unreliable hardware so we could spend MORE money for them to fix their own crap by just downloading the software and rebooting at the service station?).

I'm not saying cars are not complicated -- but the complication has nothing to do with what the person who purchased the car wants. It's like creating a smart phone with a steam powered engine -- OK, more complicated, but why? Take out the gas engine, install a magneto and electric motor, and you've taken 90% of the hassle out of gas car. The ONLY big issue is batteries and massaging their storage versus bursting into flames by pushing the load capacity.

Electric cars suck far less than gas cars. They have to add noises to keep you from not noticing them, they can go from zero to 60 faster than a car that costs $300,000. And they are slightly more complicated than a remote controlled toy.

I know, one you get in the details, there is more to it. You can't build a potato chip factory, without professionals. There IS NOT one business model on the planet anymore that doesn't require good talent to make a difference. That said; I'd rather jump into electric cars from smart phones, then smart phones from electric cars.

It's really silly to bet against Apple when they are committed. They spent 5 years on iOS before going to market. They won't make a product unless they think they are going to make the best one ever. I also suspect, they'll try and make an electric car cheaper than a gas one (in a reverse of their PREMIUM reputation for computers). Because electric cars CAN be much cheaper to produce (when not factoring in batteries). Apple knows more about batteries than Tesla. The car will likely be made in America by Robots. Japanese robots -- but AMERICA!

My two cents, which will inevitably be proven true, as that's my curse.

• Reply 54 of 276

Nah, he's making expensive toys for the wealthy elites in California that want to feel good about themselves by driving electric. His affordable EV won't even be available until 2018-2019. We might even have an Apple car by then.
  • Reply 55 of 276

In what way is he 'shaping the future'? Selling $135,000 SUVs that have falcon wing doors? Are you suggesting no one made electric cars, charging stations, and batteries (which he has not yet really done) before?

What new envelope-pushing innovation in the car industry is Tesla known for? I am not trying to be contentious, I'd really like to know.
  • Reply 56 of 276

Why doesn't anyone learn that every time you poo poo Apple entering a new market, you end up looking stupid. I'll edit your comments Elon..

"Apple is a fantastic innovative company that has changed many marketplaces. If they can help us all move towards an electric car world then that's just a good thing. I will say that they are not the only company who can innovate though. Tesla has learned a lot from producing and selling cars in the past few years. You can't buy that kind of information......unless you poach."

• Reply 57 of 276
    sog35 wrote: »
    About 12 months ago Musk said he would be glad if Apple entered the EV market.

Now that this is getting real Musk is panicking and spewing out bullshit.

This will be just like the quotes from CEO's from Microsoft, Blackberry, Dell, and Nokia.

He threw shade at ?Watch, ?Pencil and iPad Pro. Jony's team must be doing a good job of poaching, or scooping up people Musk wants to hire. If anything all these people just got a huge motivational boost.

CQ1jtLkUkAEv5EX.png
  • Reply 58 of 276
    Misleading to consumers - Model X more expensive than Model S. Tesla needs subsidies from taxpayers and no profits yet, unlike Apple. Why can't Tesla hire the right guys instead of having to fire them - BS.
    The he says "step one: expensive car, low volume. Step two: medium price, medium volume. Step three: low price, high volume." Think he has the steps backwards. Roadster seems to be the cheapest, then S and finally X.....from a pricing point of view.

If you read the full article, he is basically trying to shame the Germans to subsidize his cars.... Funny thing is that this billionaire is trying to get the middle class to subsidize the wealthier folks.... Happened in the USA and now he is on the roadshow to get all the other Tesla markets to do the same.
  • Reply 59 of 276
    idrey wrote: »
    He sounds so butt hurt!
    What? Those employees? Oh yeah! I fired them
    When they told me they were going to work for Apple.

I smell fear!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Musk mount a Trump-style presidential run in 2020 or 2024.
  • Reply 60 of 276
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

He's doing what??

Apple is redefining communications and media, literally the way we talk to each other - and have been doing it for what's coming close to a decade, if not even more. Most folks can get into an iPhone - and thus the Apple ecosystem, fairly easily. Hell, even a Mac is still competitively priced. Save just a bit more and step into a MacBook Pro.

Musk is building science experiments that barely anyone can buy, and which hardly drive (puns, haha!) the market forward.

So let's please GTFOH with comparing Tesla to Apple. There is no comparison whatsoever in terms of "shaping the future."