Apple's iPhone 6s 4K camera shoots better video than $3,000+ Nikon DSLR, test finds

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    staticx57 wrote: »
    That was the point of the video. He pooh pooh Nikon for letting their DSLRs fall so far behind that the video they shoot is laughable compared to a cell phone(He also gave samesung and gopro props in the same vein as the iphone so don't praise him yet) and the new mirrorless cameras.
    If he wanted go there why didn't he test a D810?
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

If he wanted go there why didn't he test a D810?

I am guessing here, but it is likely because it also doesn't shoot 4k.

• Reply 43 of 53
    cali wrote: »
    The point is an iPhone and DLSR shouldn't even be comparable.

The point is to challenge outdated prejudices about phone cameras.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    The point is to challenge outdated prejudices about phone cameras.

Watch the video, his point was exactly that and that Nikon should be ashamed they let their tech get so outdated that cellphones and gopros caught up in a lot of situations.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    That iPhone 4K footage is looking great.. I do a lot of synth tutorials, and this could be really useful for capturing little synth displays in crisp quality, which has sometimes been a problem with my HD pocket cinema camera.
    I just wish the iPhone video camera had manual control for white balance and frame rate, so that it's easier to mix it with other cameras. Or why not even LUT support :)
  • Reply 46 of 53
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Consumer 4K is nonsense. As a post prod guy and colourist, I've just spent hours BLURRING 4 K drone footage at source to roll into an HD timeline to make it acceptable for broadcast - the artificial sharpening in all these allegedly 4K cameras generates wicked buzzy moire patterns on near-horizontal lines - rooftops, horizons - using standard industry editing tools.

In the end a gaussian blur in a 3870 x 2160 (not really 4K!) DaVinci sequence fixed it, scaling on output to HD. Scaled on input, it was dire. And heavily compressed - if you watch that stuff pixel-for-pixel on a decent grading monitor, the compression is obvious and unacceptable for professional use in a post chain. 4K it is- at 18Mbps! Your local cinema runs 250MBps, on 2K.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Some bonus material about the new 4k quality in the iPhone 6s and 6s+:

1) Mini Documentara "The Painter of Jalouzi" and the BTS (Behind The Scenes AKA Making of) - +++Be sure to change the quality settings to 4K and wait a few moments before play-back. The Docu is almost a 1 GB:

[VIDEO]

BTS:

[VIDEO]

RGG EDU - "iPhone 6S Plus Review | Initial Thoughts, [B]Color Grading, Dynamic Range, & 4k Quality[/B] "

[VIDEO]

RGG EDU - iPhone 6S Plus Review | [B]Changing Dynamic Range in 4k Cribs Style [/B]
    This video shows a walk thru indoors in differing lighting conditions, PLUS ingesting into Premier Pro and color grading.

[VIDEO]

[B]
    Bonus Video (NSFW) [/B]- Lee Morris (you know, the guy in the original video to this story) does a controversial "Bikini Shoot" with his "neighbor". Results are very good and there's some GREAT TIPS across the video for anybody shooting with anything that resembles a camera(!)

[VIDEO]

BTW: all of these videos are almost 2-3 weeks OLD! Way to be on the ball reporting useful information AI! :rolleyes:
  • Reply 48 of 53
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NetMage View Post

Why does everyone think using a pretty professional lens like a 24-70 f/2.8 in bright light at f/8 is the worst possible conditions for the Nikon? If anything, that would seem like the best situation for the DSLR as well.

One reason would be because it is not exploiting the creative depth of field and low light potential you can get using a large sensor and wider apertures like f2.8. and larger.  It's basically making the DSLR work in the capability range a phone can manage instead of showing off it's real potential and then trying to get a phone to work outside it's area of competence.  It's like putting a Nissan Micra up against an Alfa 4C in rush hour traffic and finding the Nissan manages get to a given destination in a slightly quicker time and then bragging it's a better car than the 4C instead of putting them both round the Nurbugring.

Put the iPhone, or any phone,  up against a $1400 Panasonic GH4 with some good glass on it shooting after dusk and watch it get creamed.

• Reply 49 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    netmage wrote: »
    Why does everyone think using a pretty professional lens like a 24-70 f/2.8 in bright light at f/8 is the worst possible conditions for the Nikon? If anything, that would seem like the best situation for the DSLR as well.

It is. But Nikon hasn't really been interested in video. They do it just because Canon, their only real competitor, has done so well with it. Still, this is an interesting development. The 1080p from my iPhone 6+ is pretty darn good already.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fearless View Post

Consumer 4K is nonsense. As a post prod guy and colourist, I've just spent hours BLURRING 4 K drone footage at source to roll into an HD timeline to make it acceptable for broadcast - the artificial sharpening in all these allegedly 4K cameras generates wicked buzzy moire patterns on near-horizontal lines - rooftops, horizons - using standard industry editing tools.

In the end a gaussian blur in a 3870 x 2160 (not really 4K!) DaVinci sequence fixed it, scaling on output to HD. Scaled on input, it was dire. And heavily compressed - if you watch that stuff pixel-for-pixel on a decent grading monitor, the compression is obvious and unacceptable for professional use in a post chain. 4K it is- at 18Mbps! Your local cinema runs 250MBps, on 2K.

I wondered a bit about that sort of thing. "4K" coming off a chip that small?

• Reply 51 of 53
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    netmage wrote: »

I keep reading the comments waiting for someone to question the photog's lens choice.

I've owned a Tamron f2.8 zoom and I must say it was far from Pro level quality.

The iPhone uses a prime lens (non-zoom) which utilizes a simpler design and (all other things equal, which they aren't) produces a potentially sharper, more pleasing color rendering by virtue of fewer lens elements and less correction required to permit zoom functionality.

All this said, I realize the iPhone's lens, while a prime, is a tiny little plastic thing. Even a less than ideal piece of Tamron zoom glass should easily best it optically.

Attaching a prime 35mm or 24mm lens would eliminate the zoom variable in this comparison.

Just an observation.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    paxman wrote: »
    Or could that be you who's talking out of your behind? His point is, as he says - "4k is the new standard - the next DSLR that we [Nikon] release has to shoot 4k"

All the photographers and wannabe's here should re-listen and home in on the message. Don't get caught in the details, and please, don't evaluate a 4 k camera on a YouTube feed.

I would argue that 4K is already a new standard. It might be next standard, but at present number of devices capable of playing it, number of TVs capable of displaying it and number of TV stations/satellite broadcasters/cable TVs/streaming services offering media in 4K is still quite low.

With that being said, downsampling does miracles. My 20MP 1" Sony camera images, downsampled to 6MP, do look smoother (while preserving details) than my old 6MP DSLR... in good light and as long as you don't require shallow DoF, low light details resolving and, of course, coverage outside of little camera's non-replaceable zoom lens.

So technically, author is right on this element... but element is pulled out of wider content, IMHO.

Re 4K on Nikon DSLRs, I wouldn't be surprised if some of existing cameras cannot get this feature with firmware upgrade... either way, it will come for next generation of Nikons. While they are primarily still camera brand, they must follow trends.