Apple Pay coming to Starbucks, KFC, Chili's in 2016

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    Ok so I'm going to be very arrogant here! Brace yourself
    I don't know about the others, but mine was a reference to Jimmy Fallon's send-up of Donald Trump that has been widely reported in the US media.

Keep up with the news before getting sarcastic. :smokey:

(My comment applies to the guy that up-voted you as well).

I don't care where you got it... it stood out whether in or out of context... fit rather well in my mashup I thought... :smokey:

NOTE: Quit trying to impersonate me (I'm Smokey!) and Jimmy Fallon too (yes I caught it on YT, but it was forgettable as far as JF goes (IMHO).)
    :smokey:
  • Reply 62 of 79
    applesway wrote: »
    I've been using the Starbucks app in Wallet (formerly Passbook) on my ?Watch for several months.  It works great and is the same basic experience as using your Starbucks card on iOS.  ?Pay on the watch is a little easier to initialize than opening up the Wallet app and selecting the Starbucks card, etc., since it only involves a double press of the side button and then the card is available for the next 60 seconds.  I guess that makes it easier to pay and as long as people get their * rewards * everything is cool.  Anecdotally, I see a lot more iPhone users paying for stuff at Starbucks electronically than I do Android users.  Not sure what the real ratio is but if I were to guess I'd say 3:1 easily.  So, not that big of a leap to go to using ?Pay from there.  It will be interesting to see how the new order-ahead-of-time-online feature will work and if you can pre-pay using ?Pay or with your Starbucks card, so you just walk in, grab your coffee and you're on your way.  I guess it uses the same location service that notifies you when you're near your local Starbucks.  Maybe you're just gonna click on something when you're nearing the location and then they start preparing your order?

^^^ We need outlined Apple symbol ASAP! At distance those Apples look horrendous and like a bug infection.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    We have fish and chips in Germany also, bitte ist not as safe as you assume. Apple pie and wurst are much more secure.

SCNR ;). And it was a stressful day here....compensation.

Hey Alte... du solltest nicht mehr vom die Eckkneip' am Freitag posten! LOL! :D
  • Reply 64 of 79

Well, Apple Pay works in Germany.

• Reply 65 of 79
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Well, Apple Pay works in Germany.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5Jv6tDbNUBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Only with a US card.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    spheric wrote: »
    Only with a US card.

Why can't you use a card from one of the UK banks that are set up for Apple Pay?
  • Reply 67 of 79
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Why can't you use a card from one of the UK banks that are set up for Apple Pay?

Oh, I suppose that would work. The UK has Apple Pay, too, right.

Point is, it won't work with a German card and a German address.

• Reply 68 of 79
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

We've got Starbucks Apple Pay in the UK but I never use it, I prefer using my Starbucks card to get my points and freebies, if the merged Starbucks card points when I pay by Apple Pay then I would use it, otherwise theres no point.  

I think Apple Pay on the iPhone is a bit pointless in the UK. It is limited to the Contactless limit (£ 20 or £30, depends where you shop), and is more cumbersome than just taking out a Contactless credit card (the phone heavier and slower, as it reads your fingerprint).

Paying by Apple Watch is useful, though. It's like having your Contactless card strapped to your wrist. But paying with an iPhone in the UK? Pointless.

• Reply 69 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MushMash View Post

Keep in mind that we Europeans are lucky. Payment and banking is a complete fucked up mess in the U.S. Heck, they still use checks(!), and while most European countries made the move to chips and nfc cards years ago, Americans still have to use the old magnetic stripe, and, hold on, sign the receipt instead of uaing a PIN.

That is true, they are always a bit behind the UK (democracy, imperialism, acting skills; and they still use words and pronunciations like Georgian English such as "deence" and "ceen't" instead of "dance" and "can't") but arguably, they have now leap-frogged the UK with limitless(!) mobile contactless payments. That is even better than Chip & PIN.

(Maybe one day they'll also notice that having 10 mm = 1 cm, and 100 cm = 1 meter, and 1,000 m = 1 km; and 10 x 10 x 10cm = 1 liter, and 1 liter of water  = 1 kg; and 1 cubic meter of water = 1 ton, etc.... is more logical that 12 in = 1 foot and 3 feet = 1 yard and, get this, 1,760 yards = 1 mile....).

• Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What do you guys do when you have to purchase something worth more than £30? I am curious.

£ 30 is the payment limit for Contactless; you don't need a PIN nor signature for Contactless - you just tap and go. The payment limit for Chip & PIN is much higher (depends o your bank, issuer, etc).

The problem is that the limit of £ 30 for Contactless is the same whether you use a credit card, debit card, Apple Watch, or iPhone. But the iPhone is too heavy and the fingerprint sensor much slower than just tapping a card or Apple Watch.

• Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

I carry my phone everywhere as a communication device. I will be glad that I don't have to carry an additional piece of plastic with me as well.

You are absolutely right, but for that to happen, 100% of merchants would have to accept Apple Pay; at that point we can leave our cards at home. And in the UK, they also have to accept Apple Pay for amounts over £30. I really do hope that day will come soon as I really dislike carrying around a packet of cards in my wallet. 

• Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, you're not only a surgeon and classic leather-wallet fanatic, but apparently also an opinion pollster in the UK!

Good for you.... wow.

I think he is right. I never see anyone using Apple Pay in London. And the density of iPhones is probably higher here than anywhere else in the world, bar California. That has nothing to do with Apple; but with the fact that Apple Pay transactions are limited to £ 30, and for that, just tapping a card is faster and more convenient than taking out a phone and placing a finger on the sensor for 1 - 2 seconds (which makes it then hard to hold the phone steadily). It just does not seem to add anything.

That may change when you can pay with Apple Pay without a limit.

Apple Pay with Apple Watch on the other hand is more convenient than a card.

• Reply 73 of 79
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post
     but with the fact that Apple Pay transactions are limited to £ 30,

I think Apple Pay on the iPhone is a bit pointless in the UK. It is limited to the Contactless limit (£ 20 or £30, depends where you shop),

You've got your facts wrong: it is the merchant's terminal and/or card processor imposing the £30 limit, not Apple Pay.

There are already retailers in the UK accepting Apple Pay for amounts higher than the £30 contactless limit.

Can I use Apple Pay for amounts over £30?

Apple Pay allows you to make easy and secure contactless payments at any amount. To support this, merchants might need to update their payment terminals. Pret a Manger, Le Pain Quotidien, and others support this today, and many more will be supporting by the fall.

As with contactless debit and credit cards today, if a merchant hasn't updated their terminal, customers may need to insert their card if the transaction amount is over £30.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204958

Can I accept transactions over £30 in my shop?

Apple Pay allows your customers to make easy and secure contactless payments at any amount. If your payment terminal or payment provider doesn’t support the latest network specifications, as with contactless debit and credit cards today, your customers might need to insert their card if the transaction amount is over £30.

To accept Apple Pay for transactions over £30, your payment terminal must be capable and configured properly, and your payment provider needs to support the latest network contactless specifications. Share the consumer device cardmember verification white paper with your payment provider and ask them how you can allow your customers to use Apple Pay for any amount.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204906

• Reply 74 of 79
    Never said it was Applee Pays fault. To the contrary. Do estimated whose fault it is?

Show me a retailer inLondon that accepts Apple Pay over £30. And even if there is one, how is your experience? "Do you accept Apple Pay?" "Yes". "Do you accept Apple Pay for amounts over £30?" "Let me ask my manager." It's currently not a convenient system. Not as convenient as just taking out your credit card and paying with it. Maybe that will change one day, but who cares?
  • Reply 75 of 79
    chia wrote: »

You've got your facts wrong: it is the merchant's terminal and/or card processor imposing the £30 limit, not Apple Pay.

There are already retailers in the UK accepting Apple Pay for amounts higher than the £30 contactless limit.
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204958

Never said it was Applee Pays fault. To the contrary. Does it matter whose fault it is?

Show me a retailer inLondon that accepts Apple Pay over £30. And even if there is one, how is your experience? "Do you accept Apple Pay?" "Yes". "Do you accept Apple Pay for amounts over £30?" "Let me ask my manager." It's currently not a convenient system. Not as convenient as just taking out your credit card and paying with it. Which works everywhere, 100% of the time. Maybe that will change one day but does anyone really care?

Besides some enthusiasts, is anyone really unhappy with cash and credit cards?

I use Apple Watch to pay often, I find it a tad more convenient than having my credit card in my pocket. But barely. Buy using the phone? Terrible experience.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Never said it was Applee Pays fault. To the contrary. Does it matter whose fault it is?

Show me a retailer inLondon that accepts Apple Pay over £30. And even if there is one, how is your experience? "Do you accept Apple Pay?" "Yes". "Do you accept Apple Pay for amounts over £30?" "Let me ask my manager." It's currently not a convenient system. Not as convenient as just taking out your credit card and paying with it. Which works everywhere, 100% of the time. Maybe that will change one day but does anyone really care?

Besides some enthusiasts, is anyone really unhappy with cash and credit cards?

I use Apple Watch to pay often, I find it a tad more convenient than having my credit card in my pocket. But barely. Buy using the phone? Terrible experience.

Reread the quotations within my earlier post for the two retailers who are definitely taking transactions over £30 with Apple Pay.

I am also surprised nobody's mentioned the elephant in the room, the Apple Stores in the UK, presumably there's no limit on their Apple Pay.

As with anything else in life, there are degrees of diligence and competency, hopefully as training and expectation rises so will familiarity and convenience.  When working well it is convenient for both retailer and customer.

I have a close friend in retail, when visiting their shop I witnessed first hand how quick and convenient contactless was for taking payments.

If you have a large body of people waiting, each with contactless payments, then the transaction speed can greatly increase, freeing up time to provide more of your product or service.  Case in point, TfL promoting its Oyster card and the other contactless payment methods over paper tickets.

Also, business is good for my friend, I've witnessed first hand that handling large amounts of cash brings its own cost and issues: verifying, sorting, securing and banking, costs that are greatly reduced or even eliminated with cards and contactless.

• Reply 77 of 79
    chia wrote: »
    Reread the quotations within my earlier post for the two retailers who are definitely taking transactions over £30 with Apple Pay.
    I am also surprised nobody's mentioned the elephant in the room, the Apple Stores in the UK, presumably there's no limit on their Apple Pay.

As with anything else in life, there are degrees of diligence and competency, hopefully as training and expectation rises so will familiarity and convenience.  When working well it is convenient for both retailer and customer.

I have a close friend in retail, when visiting their shop I witnessed first hand how quick and convenient contactless was for taking payments.
    If you have a large body of people waiting, each with contactless payments, then the transaction speed can greatly increase, freeing up time to provide more of your product or service.  Case in point, TfL promoting its Oyster card and the other contactless payment methods over paper tickets.

Also, business is good for my friend, I've witnessed first hand that handling large amounts of cash brings its own cost and issues: verifying, sorting, securing and banking, costs that are greatly reduced or even eliminated with cards and contactless.

I hear you and I agree, but:

Payments under £30: convenient with Apple Watch and Contactless credit cards. Not convenient with iPhone: it is heavy and the fingerprint thingy is unnecessary.

Payments over £30: convenient with Chip & PIN credit cards as universally accepted everywhere. Not convenient with iPhone as accepted almost nowhere (Pret and Pain? One of a thousand transactions they do is over £30).

Current UK: Apple Pay in iPhone is a gimmick that no one has any incentive to use.

The future: if Apple Pay is accepted everywhere for payments over £30, people will use it. Until then: why even try?
  • Reply 78 of 79

wow, it has awesome news for apple user who can pay out star bucks, kfc and many food restuarent..