iPhone 6s supplies tracking far better than 2014 iPhone 6 launch, store stock indicates

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple is currently doing far better at keeping supplies of the iPhone 6s available than it did with the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5s, according to research conducted by investment firm Piper Jaffray.

In a poll of 54 Apple Stores spread around New York, Florida, and Texas, 50 percent of 64-gigabyte 6s/6s Plus SKUs for AT&T and Verizon were found to be available, analyst Gene Munster said in a note to investors, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider. That number compares with 6 percent a year ago for SKUs of the iPhone 6, and 12.8 percent two years ago for iPhone 5s SKUs -- though in that case Piper checked 60 stores three weeks after launch.

Within the 6s numbers, however, there was a vast disparity between regular models and the 6s Plus, with 93 percent of 64-gigabyte 6s SKUs being available versus just 7 percent for the Plus.

Munster also noted that while some 6s models are already shipping in as little as 3 to 5 days at Apple's U.S. online store, it can take between 2 to 3 weeks to receive a Plus order. That's still better than a month after the iPhone 6 launch though, when Apple was quoting 7-10 days for standard 6 models and 3 to 4 weeks for a 6 Plus.

The analyst suggested that in Apple's "S" years, the manufacturing processes for iPhones are largely sorted, allowing Apple to better keep up with demand.

Piper Jaffray is holding to an "overweight" rating for Apple stock, with a $172 price target.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

As expected.  The S year models always have better supply since its a year old shell they are working on.

But of course Wall Street manipulators will claim that this is another sign of weaking demand.  Fuc them.

It seems like the sim free unlocked model hit the Apple stores much faster this year too. I'm guessing a lot of this stems from the early rumors of a large increase in the number of units that Apple ordered to be built. Also, the carrier plan changes and Apple's upgrade program both would have contributed to these factors. 

• Reply 2 of 13
    Here comes all the "Apple is doomed!" crap, saying the iPhone 6s models aren't selling as fast.

I was with my aunt at our Sprint store, as I was helping here upgrade to a 6s Plus. The store manager said Apple only trickles stock into stores to keep demand strong. I seriously wanted to reach over the counter and smack that guy. Apparently, he has no clue of the magnitude of demand this phone is generating. He's just used to Samsung and all the others sending a ton of stock that nobody's buying.

I'll also note that store isn't a corporate store, which I'm sure get more stock.
  • Reply 3 of 13

Still very difficult to get a 6s Plus in a UK Apple store. As an example at the moment I can reserve an iPhone 6s, Space Grey, 64MB for pickup today in just about every Apple store in the UK. Not one store has the equivalent 6s Plus.

• Reply 4 of 13
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

As expected.  The S year models always have better supply since its a year old shell they are working on.

But of course Wall Street manipulators will claim that this is another sign of weaking demand.  Fuc them.

Wouldn't this year be somewhat of an exception since they changed the shell material as well as a variety of internal components such as the battery  and added 3D Touch so the screen would be substantially different?

But I agree there should be both manufacturing knowns and maybe a bit more breathing room to ramp up sooner? (which I vaguely recall reports on??)

• Reply 5 of 13
    The demand is less.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

The demand is less.

Damn, I had "low demand" in TEN replies in the pool.

I could've used that $0.25

• Reply 7 of 13
    tekmtekm Posts: 14member
    I've been trying to get a 6S plus in Arizona for 5 straight days..... staring at the availability/reserve website all day everyday when as often as I can. They have been sold out of the Plus model completely. They get a few in the morning and they are snapped up immediately. I thought I scored 3 times this week, only to get to the reserve screen and have them say it just sold already. Finally scored one today though.
  • Reply 8 of 13

Boy, you could sure fool me about supplies being better.

My order for a Rose Gold 6s+ 128 GB placed over three weeks ago has been in processing limbo ever since, with an estimated delivery date of Oct. 22-29. I check availability in Apple retail stores and find very few of any pluses anywhere in the US, and none in my state.

• Reply 9 of 13
    I hold the stock, and wish Munster was 'good news.' But it's really no news, since there is no way to know if the increased stock is due to better supply with the same demand, or less demand with same supply, etc, etc. If they really wanted to know sales, they should have counted iphones going out the door. Otherwise, it's an almost meaningless statistic.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    arthur123 wrote: »
    The demand is less.

Record breaking sales be damned!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    The 6s is a dime a dozen. The 6s Plus is the truly rare one. I was fortunate to pick one up the 27th at the Apple Store, but trying to get my GF her first iPhone we couldn't get a reservation for a Space Gray for 4 days so we caved and ordered it thru Verizon. Should be here Monday!
  • Reply 12 of 13

If I don't get my 6S+ this Friday, heads will roll....