How to use the new back button in iOS 9

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simonTheDiver View Post

@haptic

re : No surprise as Sir Jony has been driving on the wrong side of the road for a considerable period of time in his life ;-)

Ahhh, the old misunderstanding, You, Sir, may have been driving on the right side but we have been driving on the correct side of the road .

90% of the world's roads are driven on the right. Some places need to get aligned with the majority of the world's standards. The metric system comes to mind here...

• Reply 63 of 92
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    john.b wrote: »
    And, despite all the "tapping, tapping at my chamber door", there is still no tap or gesture for "scroll to the bottom"...  :-(

True - but there's this err, method/hack, call it what you wil, I found in the wilds. I've been using it since about iOS 6

1) Make a bookmark in Safari and call it - Scroll Down :D

2) Edit that book mark and paste the script below in the URL field

javascript:scroll(0,document.getElementsByTagName(%22body%22)%5B0%5D.scrollHeight);

That's it.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    linkman wrote: »
    90% of the world's roads are driven on the right. Some places need to get aligned with the majority of the world's standards. The metric system comes to mind here...

Actually, you will find that it is more close to ? LHD and ? RHD in terms of countries. In terms of traffic you're closer, even though the figures are from 2006 and a lot has ch aged since then.
    Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RHD/LHD
  • Reply 65 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Those familiar with Windows Phone OS will feel a sense of déjà vu but will be scratching their heads as to why it is no longer in the right place.

Those ten guys will be amused alright.

Why can't the swipe with a thumb from outside the screen from the left work here, or does it?
  • Reply 66 of 92
    asdasd wrote: »
    Those ten guys will be amused alright.

Why can't the swipe with a thumb from outside the screen from the left work here, or does it?

This would create confusion. Let's assume you're kicked to safari or mail. There swiping from the left already has a defined "back within the app" function. Maybe if the "last back" would move you to the original app, it could work. But still, I feel it would be not consistent enough throughout the UI.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    Wow. A back button. Seriously. & way up in the top left. Now that's just brilliant. I gotta get outta here before the iOS stupidness infects my phone. Watch I'm just gonna move my thumb a few inches to the left and like magic..
    P????????F! "Back" to common sense land.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I'm so confused. It seems this was originally published on 9th August right? So why is is back on the main page again masquerading as a new article? I couldn't work out why people kept saying it was part of the beta when it's in the main iOS 9 release.

To be honest, I'm surprised it needed to be published the first time, let alone again.
  • Reply 69 of 92

Long live iOS Tips. This really isn't a helpful tip but I have found some of them really helpful like the recover closed tab option in Safari. Also interesting to know how 3D Touch covers some of the same needs as this.

• Reply 70 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Love it, especially when clearing Facebook notifications which pop open the App store for stupid games, hit the "Back to FaceBook" before it loads and I'm done.

• Reply 71 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

How about not? Because in this case, the button only appears in a clearly defined context - when you were catapulted out of whatever you were doing into a different app, it will return you to the previous app.

A hardware button changes function depending upon what you were doing. It could flip you between apps, or return you to one of the home screens, or move back within the app.

This function is explicitly NOT the same as a dedicated hardware back button. It is much more limited and simpler - by design.

You mean you can't program a hardware backbutton to do what ever you want it to? There is some outside force in the universe that dictates what all hardware backbuttons do?

• Reply 72 of 92

I think the much more intriging Charging devices (typically) iPhone with Apple connectors with a sidebar describing flammable versus non-flammable. ¡

Hey!

What about inflammable and non-inflammable?

I couldn't not care less about flammable versus non-flammable.
  • Reply 73 of 92

Rule #2 of Zombieland - Double Tap. You think it's dead (technically it was before you shot it), one more makes 100% sure.  Then you're back to the first app. 

• Reply 74 of 92
    john.b wrote: »

Now it will be double-tap the home button to activate Reachability so you can tap the new back button in iOS 9. Because everybody wants a phablet. ;)

Ah. Reachability. The feature that in terms of usefulness competes directly with quick type for me. Especially when browsing: tap-tap. Then tap on address bar. Again tap-tap for copying link. New tab. Tap-tap for Address bar. Tap-tap for paste. And not soon after you can modify the link. Ok. Doesn't happen often. But still, all this tapping is close to overloading the UI IMHO. I'm curious whether force touch will simplify or add to the complexity.

And, despite all the "tapping, tapping at my chamber door", there is still no tap or gesture for "scroll to the bottom"...  :-(

"Nevermore"   -The Raven-
  • Reply 75 of 92
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    The fact that this feature covers up the signal indicators seems like it would be pretty irritating. Anyone living with iOS 9 want to chime in on the annoyingness of it? Why couldn't it cover up the time instead?
  • Reply 76 of 92
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    I've found this feature useful on some very rare occasions. Most of the time I hate it. Plus there are still some graphical bugs with it.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Loads of text for:

"Touch the back to "app" text in the top left"

Do you guys write for ITV news?

PMSL
  • Reply 78 of 92
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavis View Post

It's kind of annoying though, because it hides the signal strength indicators - both wifi and LTE. If you open a Safari link from another app, it shows the "Back to ____" text indefinitely, so if things are taking a while to load you don't know if it's the site or the connection.

You just can't please everyone can you? 

jeez can't you find something else to do?

• Reply 79 of 92
    This button will only be on existing hardware. The new products, available next month will not show this button and be replaced with force touch. As new hardware cycles in and the old cycles out, this will be a temporary measure.

Then they should at least give the option to disable. It gets in the way and I NEVER use it.

Seems like a throwback to the 90's.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    pistis wrote: »

You just can't please everyone can you? 

jeez can't you find something else to do?

And that is the cop-out poster quote of the day...

Thanks for playing!