Elon Musk walks back Apple Car, Apple Watch aspersions in Twitter confessional

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Unless there are cameras down the length of the car there will ALWAYS be blind spots. Turning your head gives you a better chance of reducing those blind spots.

Of course the design of cars are poor for creating blindspots in the first place.

That's not entirely accurate. Talking about side mirrors, if you adjust them out, you can eliminate the blind spot. Most people were taught to adjust them so that they see the rear of their car in them, but that's exactly what creates the blind spot. I'm proud to say that I figured this out on my own after several decades, and I confirmed it when I got home by googling /adjust mirrors to eliminate blind spot/.

• Reply 22 of 156
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

"Yo"? Rocket crashes must have effected his brain; he thinks he's Justn Bieber.

Your comment isn't any better.

• Reply 23 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He walked back that trash talk pretty quick. Steve Jobs would never have done that. image

Exactly. Steve took his assholary seriously.

• Reply 24 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like the X’s doors.

They are great design is only the rear passengers need to get out of that tight squeeze. That demo made no sense.

• Reply 25 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Felixer View Post

I wasn't aware they were trying to lose side mirrors. What were they planning on replacing them with?

Screens and cameras.

• Reply 26 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

But it's great that he took the time...

To be fair to Musk as of now the Apple product doesn't exist and the media is talking about the death of his company. He's a brilliant guy. There's no denying that. He also had a big head start over Apple regarding EVs. There's no denying that.

• Reply 27 of 156
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I think every state has laws about the side and rear view mirror laws that would make, at the very least, no driver-side mirror illegal.

Then this is one of the (happily few) cases in which an existing law needs to have its definition expanded due to the progress of technology.

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

You SHOULD still turn your head.

Certainly.

Of course the design of cars are poor for creating blindspots in the first place.

Bring on transparent aluminum already. There MUST be a transparent material strong enough to handle a roof while removing at least the FRONT two dividers.

• Reply 28 of 156
    [QUOTE]I'm glad they're doing an EV.[/QUOTE]

First rule of fight club is: you don't talk about what Apple may be doing in your paranoid, egocentric fantasies.
  • Reply 29 of 156
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

One of the reasons I like Tim Cook is he does not backtrack on the statements he makes about people or businesses he does not like. He says what he means. And, he means what he says. Sorkin backtracked. Musk is backtracking. Cook just moves forward.

1- The Internet and the Media have that annoying specialty of taking things out of context to get clicks or make sales. Shouldn't we be wiser, given the "small" detail that Musk is obviously among the most intelligent businessmen alive? Maybe this was supposed to be a humorous comment that fell flat, as can happen.

2- He's right about the Watch. I own a Watch since Day 1, it's awesome, but EVERYONE knows that, like the iPhone, the Macbook Air, the new MacBook, the iPad, etc, Apple puts out a great product and uses the profits to make a better product. He did not say anything else.

3- It's very likely Musk tells the truth about some ex-Tesla employees that got fired. There are many reasons why a company would want to hire someone fired from another company. Thank God. I don't see why everyone suddenly seems so defensive about this?!

4- When did it suddenly become a sign of maturity to NOT admit to having said something you regret ( or, even, have the honesty to actually regret things). It doesn't necessarily mean you were wrong about it, it might just mean you did not envision people would hear it differently than you meant it, and you're sorry to have angered them or hurt them. It happens to normal people like you and me, why not to Musk, Cook or other brilliant people? They're still human.

Just my opinion, obviously, and I don't have an army of undead zombies to back it up with lethal force, so I guess you're free to disagree.

• Reply 30 of 156
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

To be fair to Musk as of now the Apple product doesn't exist and the media is talking about the death of his company. He's a brilliant guy. There's no denying that. He also had a big head start over Apple regarding EVs. There's no denying that.

It's the first time I've actually been excited about a car (though I can't afford it). The parallel with Apple is obvious to anyone who's seen one, indeed. (Here, there are dozens of them... just in a 2km radius around my house I can count 15 of them, more or less, because the local airport demands taxi-drivers use Teslas - AMS Schiphol)

I'm actually quite sad that Apple and Musk did not partner, whatever the reason. The product would have made me very happy, even though `I never would have been able to actually buy it ;)

• Reply 31 of 156
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's funny is all the Watch haters think Musk's tweet was a diss of the Watch. But no where did he say the Watch as an IDEA was bad, just that it's going to take a few generations for it to become really good and you could say that about almost any Apple product. The first really good iPhone was the 3GS. The first iPad and first MacBook Airs weren't great; subsequent generations were much better. The same will be the case with the Watch.
  • Reply 32 of 156
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    I understand that Musk is probably trying to rally his troops by positioning Tesla as a superior car company (and therefore staving off employees jumping ship), but trashing Apple is a dangerous game for Tesla.

First, they aren't even competitors (yet) to Tesla, so he's not gaining anything by trashing them to the general public. Second, and more important, is that people who love Apple tend to be exactly the same people who love Tesla. That means you're (sort of) trashing your customers, too.
  • Reply 33 of 156
    I am beginning to think he may be bipolar.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, just making an observation.
  • Reply 34 of 156
    dws-2 wrote: »
    ...more important, is that people who love Apple tend to be exactly the same people who love Tesla. That means you're (sort of) trashing your customers, too.

Very good point.

Interestingly, when I was in 1 Infinite Loop a couple of years ago, I noticed a number of Teslas in the parking lot.
  • Reply 35 of 156
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I thought his comments about Apple were strange. I thought he gave away Tesla patents so more electric cars can be built. I don't understand why he pissed about Apple building an electric car. The only thing that explain this is that Apple is really hurting Tesla by hiring their most talented engineers.

• Reply 36 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The original design had tiny nubs on the side with rear-facing cameras. The dashboard would then display the views from them aside your normal instruments (it’s a big LCD, so anything could be there). Great idea; gone now.

[image]

Cuts down slightly on driver response time, too. If you don’t have to turn your head to see what’s on either side of you...

the U.S. has very many laws concerning the safety features for autos, they may have had to keep the mirrors if they wanted to produce it. 

• Reply 37 of 156
    ireland wrote: »
    "Yo"? Rocket crashes must have effected his brain; he thinks he's Justn Bieber.

Your comment isn't any better.

Sounds to me like Musk's yoyo-ing.
  • Reply 38 of 156

Musk may have a point. The working conditions at Apple may be so harsh (extreme hours, weekends) that many car industry engineers will not be interested. I work with several car companies and people have told me the way Apple tries to get experienced managers and engineers to switch is not working very well. As far as I have been told, Apple will not tell the person what he/she will be working on before the person has signed the contract. Why would anyone take a gamble like this with a company which has not declared its commitment to the car business? On top of that the contracts seem to have non-disclosure clauses which exclude talking to your own family about any aspects of your work. That is unheard of in the car industry and will keep a lot of great people from working at Apple. Therefore it makes sense when Musk suggests only people fired from Tesla are interested in working for Apple.

• Reply 39 of 156
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He walked back that trash talk pretty quick. Steve Jobs would never have done that. image

George Bodenheimer attended the first Disney board meeting in Orlando, Florida, just after the company had bought Pixar and spotted Apple CEO Steve Jobs in a hallway. It seemed like a good time to introduce himself. “I am George Bodenheimer,” he said to Jobs. “I run ESPN.”

Jobs just looked at him and said nothing other than “Your phone is the dumbest fucking idea I have ever heard,” then turned and walked away.

This story cracks me up.

Mind spoken and no apologies later.

• Reply 40 of 156
    Musk may have a point. The working conditions at Apple may be so harsh (extreme hours, weekends) that many car industry engineers will not be interested. I work with several car companies and people have told me the way Apple tries to get experienced managers and engineers to switch is not working very well. As far as I have been told, Apple will not tell the person what he/she will be working on before the person has signed the contract. Why would anyone take a gamble like this with a company which has not declared its commitment to the car business? On top of that the contracts seem to have non-disclosure clauses which exclude talking to your own family about any aspects of your work. That is unheard of in the car industry and will keep a lot of great people from working at Apple. Therefore it makes sense when Musk suggests only people fired from Tesla are interested in working for Apple.

Work conditions at Apple were phenomenal. Musk hasn't a clue. I worked 12 hour shifts and it flew by. I worked 12 hour shifts at ATT Wireless and after 3 hours I wanted to shoot myself.