How to use the new back button in iOS 9

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cornchip wrote: »
    The fact that this feature covers up the signal indicators seems like it would be pretty irritating. Anyone living with iOS 9 want to chime in on the annoyingness of it? Why couldn't it cover up the time instead?

I never thought twice about it…And i'd rather see the time than my cell signal.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

You mean you can't program a hardware backbutton to do what ever you want it to? There is some outside force in the universe that dictates what all hardware backbuttons do?

A hardware button is always there, and always taking up space, and always needs to be justified in taking up space or just being there. That is the nature of hardware. 

If it is programmed to do different things at different times, or even nothing at all at certain times, it is complex at best and unpredictable at worst. And, being hardware, it will be adapted to do whatever the most useful thing happens to be at the time.

This is exactly the problem that Apple strove to solve by obliterating ALL hardware buttons and turning the front of the iPhone into a single "giant screen" with software buttons and a single, friendly hardware button that had one single all-important function: "Take Me Home." 

That, too, has become more complex, with double-tap and double-press, but those are non-discoverable and completely invisible to normal users: the only additional layer that a regular user has to deal with is the Touch ID sensor, and that makes perfect sense, since that is how the phone is ID'd and unlocked in the first place.

• Reply 83 of 92
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    I never thought twice about it…And i'd rather see the time than my cell signal.

Cool. Might update tonight.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spheric View Post

A hardware button is always there, and always taking up space, and always needs to be justified in taking up space or just being there. That is the nature of hardware. 

If it is programmed to do different things at different times, or even nothing at all at certain times, it is complex at best and unpredictable at worst. And, being hardware, it will be adapted to do whatever the most useful thing happens to be at the time.

This is exactly the problem that Apple strove to solve by obliterating ALL hardware buttons and turning the front of the iPhone into a single "giant screen" with software buttons and a single, friendly hardware button that had one single all-important function: "Take Me Home." 

That, too, has become more complex, with double-tap and double-press, but those are non-discoverable and completely invisible to normal users: the only additional layer that a regular user has to deal with is the Touch ID sensor, and that makes perfect sense, since that is how the phone is ID'd and unlocked in the first place.

You'll have to forgive me, but I do not see the problem with it being complex. I would rather have the buttons. Also as it has been pointed out before, on screen buttons that are always in the same the place such as Android and Windows phone have all solve this "problem" of hardware buttons taking up space.

Do you also bemoan the sheer number of buttons on a DSLR? 

• Reply 85 of 92
    I clearly see the beginning of the end of the home button, with 3D Touch and the swipe to task manager.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    You guys are really hard up for something to write about if you have to explain the obvious. Dumb
  • Reply 87 of 92
    staticx57 wrote: »
    You'll have to forgive me, but I do not see the problem with it being complex. I would rather have the buttons. Also as it has been pointed out before, on screen buttons that are always in the same the place such as Android and Windows phone have all solve this "problem" of hardware buttons taking up space.

Do you also bemoan the sheer number of buttons on a DSLR? 

Actually, I'm even perfectly fine with the sheer number of buttons and faders on my synths and mixing console.
    I expect professional tools to have a certain learning curve and to not be immediately accessible.

Would I expect you to deal with that complexity if you just wanted to listen to music?

Do you really not understand what Apple does, and why their products sell?
  • Reply 88 of 92
    Yeah, I activate Reachability by accident far too often. Why it's not a toggle in Settings is beyond me.

It is - General | Accessibility
  • Reply 89 of 92
    Quote:

Actually, I'm even perfectly fine with the sheer number of buttons and faders on my synths and mixing console.

I expect professional tools to have a certain learning curve and to not be immediately accessible.

Would I expect you to deal with that complexity if you just wanted to listen to music?

Do you really not understand what Apple does, and why their products sell?

So Professional tools a learning curve is fine and to be expected?

Would you feel it would be overly complex to have say, a treble and bass slider along with a balance knob? Or would you feel that only a volume button is good enough. 

I do understand why Apple products sell well, but I think you give too much credit to the aspect ease of use as the predominant reason for the sales.

• Reply 90 of 92
    Treble and bass knobs are fine.

But adding a single knob that does treble, bass, radio tuning and turntable speed, or nothing at all, depending upon the context, just for the sake of having an extra knob on the box, is just shitty interface.

The one big home button is among the most powerful and most important design elements of all of Apple's iOS devices.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    Quote:

Treble and bass knobs are fine.

But adding a single knob that does treble, bass, radio tuning and turntable speed, or nothing at all, depending upon the context, just for the sake of having an extra knob on the box, is just shitty interface.

The one big home button is among the most powerful and most important design elements of all of Apple's iOS devices.

No one is doubting the power and usefulness of the home button.

Maybe I am giving the average person too much credit, but every time I have used a device with a back button I was never left confused or was able to learn its use and extent within a few minutes.

On the flip-side though, having a back action that is not in one predicable location or action ala iOS is the answer either. Want to go back to the previous page in safari? Hit the back button thats located somewhere at the top if it didn't hide itself. Want to change apps? Well you could use the back button that appeared at the very top or use four fingers and swipe (but there may be an app in the middle). How about exiting a full screen picture on Facebook? Well you could perform some swipe up wiggle gesture that sometimes works or hope the "done" button appears. Things aren't always as cut and dry and having a predictable location simplifies things as well.

• Reply 92 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    cornchip wrote: »
    The fact that this feature covers up the signal indicators seems like it would be pretty irritating. Anyone living with iOS 9 want to chime in on the annoyingness of it? Why couldn't it cover up the time instead?

It's useful if you do want to go back to where you came from. Annoying otherwise. The solution is to go to the home screen and back again. They should really make it disappear if you double click to show the app list and click back to the same app.