Apple axes gold color, 128GB options for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
After announcing its new iPhone 6s lineup on Wednesday, Apple has apparently discontinued gold and 128GB configuration options for previous generation iPhone 6 devices, leaving only Space Gray, silver and 16GB and 64GB versions left.

Marketing chief Phil Schiller glossed over iPhone 6 availability during Apple's huge event in San Francisco, saying only that last year's models would receive the traditional on-contract price cut that brings iPhone 6 to $99 and the iPhone 6 Plus to $199. A graphic in presented behind Schiller does indeed show only Space Gray and silver iPhone 6 models, while Apple's web store now reflects the change.

It is unclear as to why Apple chose to discontinue gold iPhone 6 production, though the move is likely an attempt to drive sales of its new iPhone 6s handsets, which come in Space Gray, silver, gold and, new for 2015, rose gold. With four colors to choose from, new customers and upgraders will have plenty of options when the device goes on sale next week.

Aside from two extra shell colors, Apple's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus feature a number of enhancements like 3D Touch input capabilities, faster communications components, a haptic feedback mechanism, better cameras, faster Touch ID system and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

Hopefully that increases the resale value of my current iPhone 6 Plus as I upgrade to the newer model.

• Reply 2 of 15
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I noticed that too. I would bet that the Rose gold will be the best selling iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    elehcdn wrote: »

Hopefully that increases the resale value of my current iPhone 6 Plus as I upgrade to the newer model.

I looked at Amazon's Trade-In system today. They list the iPhone 6 Plus value as $420.70 for 16GB model, $258.17 for 64GB model, and $260.40 for the 128GB model. WTF is up with that?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »

I looked at Amazon's Trade-In system today. They list the iPhone 6 Plus value as $420.70 for 16GB model, $258.17 for 64GB model, and $260.40 for the 128GB model. WTF is up with that?

Obviously a typo. Do you have the link?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ...ransom...?
  • Reply 6 of 15

I'm glad I don't have to worry about any of that. All I have to do is turn my year-old gold 6+ 128 in for my new one on AT&T's Next plan. Never got close to filling it up. But that could change with the new 12 MP camera and 4K video. :-)
  • Reply 7 of 15

Chinese market. If you have a gold, people know you're a first-run purchaser.

• Reply 8 of 15
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1. Buy used iPhone 6 Plus 16gbs on eBay. 

2. Resell them to Amazon.

3. Profit!

• Reply 9 of 15
    I'm so glad I got my gold 6 Plus 2 weeks ago. I was gonna wait til this week to get it for $100 cheaper after the announcement of the 6s Plus, but looks like I would've been SOL! Im most impressed with the iPad Pro, just as I figured. I'll wait til the iPhone 7 next year.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock2199 View Post

I'm so glad I got my gold 6 Plus 2 weeks ago. I was gonna wait til this week to get it for $100 cheaper after the announcement of the 6s Plus, but looks like I would've been SOL! Im most impressed with the iPad Pro, just as I figured. I'll wait til the iPhone 7 next year.

Congrats, you got the gold color you wanted but you paid $100 more and do not have any of the 6S enhancements, as long as you are happy.

• Reply 11 of 15
    realistic wrote: »
    Congrats, you got the gold color you wanted but you paid $100 more and do not have any of the 6S enhancements, as long as you are happy.

Oh yea, I love it! Judging by all the rumors about the 6s I was hearing leading up to its announcement, it wasn't going to include anything new I really wanted (unlike the 4s, Siri and 5s, Touch ID) and I was right.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

It seems pretty obvious what Apple is doing here ... they've eliminated the ability of the 6/6 Plus to cannibalize sales. Considering China, the gold phone is likely to be the most popular choice of all, so that forces those purely into the aesthetics to buy the 6S, which also explains why the 16GB option is sticking around, since with 4K video capabilities and 12mp camera, storage is going to be a primary consideration for anyone buying the phone for its cameras. The 64GB limitation is going to force serious video users to invest in the 128GB. 

Otherwise, anyone who is satisfied with the cameras on the 6/Plus is likely going to chose it for $100 less, or the same price with more storage, which I must admit for only an additional $100, that 64GB upgrade likely rivals a 16GB 6S for a lot of people. If gold was still an option, they'd probably sell fewer 6S phones, which would mostly be considered by those who want the camera features and the extra storage.

It's too bad that Apple decided to drop the gold model for the 5S too, since it remains the only 4" model. I don't really see it cannibalizing anything, and considering that the 5C had multiple color options, doesn't make a lot of sense, other than they dropped it for the 6 and couldn't justify offering it for the "free" phone. And likewise it's too bad they dropped the 64GB option as well. I'm lucky I bought my 5S with the 64GB option. It's a fantastic phone, and I willingly accept the minor limitations over the latest tech as a trade-off for size. If anything, Apple built it too well. ?Pay is the only thing I truly miss over the 6/S. But it will serve me well until the 7 comes out and ?Pay is widespread enough that I will have to upgrade whether there's a new 4" model or not.

• Reply 13 of 15
    Here's a question:
    If I paid for Apple Care insurance and my 128 GB iPhone 6 meets a bad end, then what does Apple propose to do to make things right? It's been less than a year since I got the thing...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    jashue wrote: »
    Here's a question:
    If I paid for Apple Care insurance and my 128 GB iPhone 6 meets a bad end, then what does Apple propose to do to make things right? It's been less than a year since I got the thing...

If you read up on on Apple Care+ you'll see exactly what that service offers.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jashue wrote: »
    Here's a question:

If they can't fix it they'll give you a refurbished one, and then take yours and refurbish that one.