Magic Trackpad 2, Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard revealed in Apple's OS X 10.11.1 beta

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    pmz wrote: »

Do you even know what you're talking about? The only difference between them is their brand name and implementation. On the iPhone it was possible to implement it in ways that don't translate to the watch or the mac, so it goes beyond those implementations. So much so that it was worthy of cool new bullet point marketing name.

If you read my post you'll notice I said all places on the internet say it's not a different branding but a different technology, and also with a different response time. I've no idea, it's just what I read everywhere. They say Force Touch doesn't provide instant feedback, while 3D Touch does. I didn't try any of them but for sure I won't buy a Force Touch product if it's less capable than 3D Touch.
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Yes, they are different in their implementation on recognizing "pressure". "Force Touch" uses force sensors, "3D Touch" senses changes in screen distance. However, they both are variable, meaning neither is limited to a single on/off value.

Also, I believe the Apple Pen uses force sensors as well. 

A-ha!!! But if 3D Touch has a better response, they can implement it on a Trackpad, can't they?
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Every Apple mouse has sucked. Every single one.

I'm currently suffering with a Mighty Mouse. My photographer friend hates the Magic Mouse that came with her iMac. I hated the puck mouse (worst mouse design ever). The original Apple mice sucked, too, but they had the early computing era to blame. The only mouse that wasn't horrible was the curved thing prior to the puck mouse, but it still lacked a second button, despite OS 8 & 9 supporting context menus.

If Jony Ive is responsible for the puck mouse, his lousy engineering skill is even worse than I thought. (I just disassembled a PowerBook G4 last night... a frelling nightmare; actually worse than my MacBook Pro 3,1).

That is your opinion, all of it, and I am someone that feels exactly the opposite. I love my current Magic Mouse, it's the best mouse I've ever used. I prefer it over the Trackpad, which I have connected to my other computer. As for the puck mouse, it's become popular to despise. I had one, I loved it at the time, it suited the design of the time in my opinion and it was perfectly functional for me.

Design and aesthetics are completely subjective, though; I'm sure you know that but quite a lot pass off opinions as facts and the fact is opinions are not facts. Considering how there's a trolling industry of Apple hatred out there, I find Apple criticisms about as valuable and welcome as a bucket of manure, especially the design oriented ones.

• Reply 63 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    evilution wrote: »
    I don't type in the dark so don't need a backlit keyboard.
    I also don't wander around the house whilst typing and the standard lead is long enough so I don't need a wireless keyboard.

Saying that, if they made a wireless backlit keyboard with number pad, I'd buy it.

Non clicking Magic Trackpad, erm, no thanks...I think.

well thank god if you dont need it, none of us--wait, that doesnt make sense at all. *i* need wireless for various reasons (like, cats).

have you even used the force-touch trackpad? it feels just like a click.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Perhaps the new Mo' Magic Trackpad will include Siri in the same way as the new Apple TV remote.

I love the current Magic Trackpad. From an RSI avoidance perspective it has been magical. I only wish it worked better in native Windows.

At least none of Apple's competition has tried to glom on to the 'Magical' moniker like they've done with just about every other brand identity thing Apple has done in the last two decades. Whenever I see yet another product with a lowercase "i" it makes me want to slap them silly.

Sorry this is a really dumb question I'm sure, but is the trackpad definitely superior to mouse for RSI? I have inflammatory arthritis and currently use the trackpad on my iMac but will hopefully be getting one of the new ones and had planned on getting the mouse, reckoning the 'hold' would be better than the constant finger track/pointing. But I'll stay with a trackpad if that's known to be better.

• Reply 65 of 81
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Sorry this is a really dumb question I'm sure, but is the trackpad definitely superior to mouse for RSI? I have inflammatory arthritis and currently use the trackpad on my iMac but will hopefully be getting one of the new ones and had planned on getting the mouse, reckoning the 'hold' would be better than the constant finger track/pointing. But I'll stay with a trackpad if that's known to be better.

Not a silly or stupid question in the least. Specifically in your case I would look for a mouse where you could let your entire hand rest upon, preferrably with a large arch... something like a Microsoft Intellimouse. For your condition a Magic Mouse is probably going to be as painful as the trackpad. Just go down to a larger computer/electronics dealer and try a few before you buy.
  • Reply 66 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not sure if you have tried the DasKeyboard, but it's reputed to be like the Selectric, and they sell a proper Mac layout.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251792/the_daskeyboard_brings_back_the_feel_of_an_ibm_selectric.html

Neato!

• Reply 67 of 81
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yay!

People were just saying they wanted this!!

Now onto the next thing to complain about.....
  • Reply 68 of 81
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Well, if it charges in fifteen seconds - like the ? pencil - then it'd be truly magical.

It actually does that, cool. :)

• Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That would be kinda cool.

Can I get an IBM Selectric keyboard for my iMac? If you've never typed on a Selectric, in my opinion you've never really typed.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-v0jZ7XLSFZxBPkfm9XXx8A

• Reply 70 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

That is your opinion, all of it, and I am someone that feels exactly the opposite. I love my current Magic Mouse, it's the best mouse I've ever used. I prefer it over the Trackpad, which I have connected to my other computer. As for the puck mouse, it's become popular to despise. I had one, I loved it at the time, it suited the design of the time in my opinion and it was perfectly functional for me.

Design and aesthetics are completely subjective, though; I'm sure you know that but quite a lot pass off opinions as facts and the fact is opinions are not facts. Considering how there's a trolling industry of Apple hatred out there, I find Apple criticisms about as valuable and welcome as a bucket of manure, especially the design oriented ones.

I loved the last gen apple mouse with the little scroll ball, as it was being attacked left right and centre. Just can't get used to the Magic Mouse though, too low a profile to firmly clasp in my hand and for it to fill my hand.

• Reply 71 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

I loved the last gen apple mouse with the little scroll ball, as it was being attacked left right and centre. Just can't get used to the Magic Mouse though, too low a profile to firmly clasp in my hand and for it to fill my hand.

I liked that one too, but I used it so much it ended up clogging from time to time, until I discovered if you turned it upside down and ran it hard and quickly over some surface, it'd clean itself and then it'd work just fine again.

• Reply 72 of 81
    Quote:

I liked that one too, but I used it so much it ended up clogging from time to time, until I discovered if you turned it upside down and ran it hard and quickly over some surface, it'd clean itself and then it'd work just fine again.

Oh cool tip, still have a lot of them hanging about!

• Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Oh cool tip, still have a lot of them hanging about!

No problem! Make sure you push down a bit and I seem to remember a sheet of paper as the surface on which to roll the upside down mouse works best, it seems to dislodge any buildup on the rollers and the mouse is good as new again.

• Reply 74 of 81
    Quote:

I'd even accept if they magnetically snapped into the left or right side of the keyboard ( plus a ten-key number pad).

+1 I really would like to see a numeric keypad.

• Reply 75 of 81
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I don't care for all of Apple's product names, but this one I absolutely detest. It's like tools they issue students at Hogwarts. Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, what's next, Magic Mike?
  • Reply 76 of 81
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    have you even used the force-touch trackpad? it feels just like a click.
    Yeah, I tried one of those in a store once, and it feels almost the same. It also works equally well at any point on the trackpad, rather than the old one where clicking near the top of it where the pivot is doesn't work very well.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wonder if the Magic Keyboard is an Apple keyboard Magic Trackpad combined into one product:

I'd even accept if they magnetically snapped into the left or right side of the keyboard ( plus a ten-key number pad).

Ahh! Reminds me of the Apple (USS Saratoga) Extended Keyboard -- now that was a keyboard. Especially liked the fact that it was the width of the original Mac II.

File-Apple_Extended_Keyboard.jpg

And it didn't need no batteries... Batteries?  Batteries? we don't need no stinking Batteries! (Note ADB extension cable was available for those that liked to lap it while sitting up or feet up.)

The one I fell in love with and hated to see go was the Apple Adjustable Keyboard (in platinum of course). I had three total, 2 were retired when USB became the connector of choice. I had saved one to go with Mac ||, ||fx, ||ci, Quadra 950 but alas some movers misplaced it -- I got/get by with the saratoga. I have never had a wireless keyboard but got track pads as soon as they became available for the AIO desktops. The wireless track pads seem to eat batteries by the bushel basket full. 

I think the best solution for me would be something that ran off batteries (rechargeable or alkaline) but was recharged thru a lightning connector and communicated via the lightning if you don't have BluTooth LE like my 2011 iMac that is still a great iMac for general daily use and my mid 2014 iMac is a screamer for development work.

As far as backlighting (LMOA) goes -- I'd go buy a flashlight  and duct tape before I waited on Apple to add this no brainer feature. Should have been a feature on the wired ones IMHO.

• Reply 78 of 81
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Quote:

A sheet of A4 paper will do fine.

Except that only works a couple of times in most cases. 

The scrollball inevitably fails completely at some point.

• Reply 79 of 81
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Apple, why the **** can't I have a backlit keyboard for my $3,000 iMac? 

I was thinking about a backlit keyboard since the time Apple introduced them in the Aluminum Powerbooks, more than ten years ago. After some time I realized that this is perhaps not a good idea since, if the keyboard is wireless and used frequently in dark room, it will drain the batteries really fast. I guess we will soon see if Apple has any surprise in that department.

• Reply 80 of 81
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

Logitech markets a K750 solar keyboard that charges quickly.  By holding it up to my reading lamp for fifteen seconds, it'll hold a charge for over two weeks. I'd love to have a solar track pad that would do the same. Since I don't carry a track pad around, I'd even buy a wired one, so I wouldn't have to change batteries frequently. Eneloop rechargeable or Energizer batteries don't last as long in my MTP as a fifteen second charge of the K750 keyboard. 

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Solar-Keyboard-K750/dp/B005L38VRU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444685526&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+keyboard+k750

for $50.00

81rAGSBoCTL._SL1500_.jpg