Apple launches 21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display, starting at $1,499

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2015
Apple on Tuesday updated its smaller all-in-one iMac desktop with a high-resolution Retina 4K display, packing 9.4 million pixels into its 21.5-inch screen.

The new 21.5-inch iMac features a 4,096-by-2,304-pixels display, 4.5 times more pixels than the standard 21.5-inch iMac. Apple says the new sRGB-based panel displays more lifelike colors, and features a P3-based color gamut with a 25 percent larger color space.

The 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display starts at $1,499 and features a fifth-generation Intel Core processor and enhanced Intel Iris Pro Graphics. It also boasts two Thunderbolt 2 ports, delivering up to 20Gbps data transfer speeds.

The iMac has also been updated with three stream 802.11ac Wi-Fi, supporting up to 1.3Gbps wireless networking. The default Retina configuration features a 3.1-gigahertz Intel Core i5 quad-core processor, a 1-terabyte hard drive, and comes with the new Appel Magic Keyboard and Magic mouse 2 or Magic Trackpad.

Build-to-order configurations can be upgraded to a 3.3-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core 84 processor, as well as Fusion Drives of 1- or 2-terabytes, or a 512-gigabyte flash SSD drive.

"From the first iMac to today, the spirit of iMac has never wavered -- deliver the ultimate desktop experience with the latest technologies, gorgeous displays and cutting-edge designs," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "These are the most stunning iMacs we've ever made. With our gorgeous new Retina displays, more powerful processors and graphics and all-new Magic accessories, the new iMac continues to redefine the ultimate desktop experience."

The update brings the 21.5-inch iMac in line with its larger 27-inch brethren, which debuted with a 5K Retina display one year ago. Apple most recently refreshed its smaller iMac lineup in June of last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    No usb-c? odd.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    Looks like I'm shopping for a new Mac today.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Only shitty Intel Graphics, not even an option to upgrade to a decent GPU.

Not for me then, shame was looking to upgrade one of our computers.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    saarek wrote: »
    Only shitty Intel Graphics, not even an option to upgrade to a decent GPU.

Not for me then, shame was looking to upgrade one of our computers.

Obviously Apple still wants you to buy a laptop, because most people prefer laptops.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member

So when do we get the quad-core i7 as a BTO option for the Mini ??

• Reply 6 of 76
    It appears that the 5k Mac has picked up a skylake processor (6gen Intel). Dudes!
  • Reply 7 of 76
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    Amazing looking new keyboard and trackpad. The iMac itself is cool (besides only being able to configure up to 16GB of RAM), but I'm glad to see ? dropped the AA batteries in the accessories for a rechargeable solution via lightening.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    rissriss Posts: 47member

alright, alright, alright.... now, where's that bloody Retina Thunderbolt 2 (or 3) Cinema Display I've been waiting years to collect???

• Reply 9 of 76
    rmb0037 wrote: »
    Amazing looking new keyboard and trackpad. The iMac itself is cool (besides only being able to configure up to 16GB of RAM), but I'm glad to see ? dropped the AA batteries in the accessories for a rechargeable solution via lightening.

Yes, that's a good change.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt™-3-controllers-launch-6th-gen-intel®-core™-processors-ifa-show

This is the part where Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to show up.

• Reply 11 of 76
    Is anyone else growing tired of Time Cook's Apple? All of these 21" iMacs have only crappy slow spinning-disk hard drives! What is the f'ing problem Tim? The world has moved on to SSDs but you and the entire iMac line are stuck in the last decade. Do you NOT want us to buy these? MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

Yes, I know I can custom order an SSD with these, but I shouldn't have too. If they can sell an 11" MacBook Air with an SSD for well under $1000, then the $1500 21" 4K iMac should have one too. I can add slow storage with an external drive - but Apple makes slow storage THE GOLD STANDARD!

UNBELIEVABLE!!
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Is anyone else growing tired of Time Cook's Apple? All of these 21" iMacs have only crappy slow spinning-disk hard drives! What is the f'ing problem Tim? The world has moved on to SSDs but you and the entire iMac line are stuck in the last decade. Do you NOT want us to buy these? MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

Yes, I know I can custom order an SSD with these, but I shouldn't have too. If they can sell an 11" MacBook Air with an SSD for well under $1000, then the $1500 21" 4K iMac should have one too. I can add slow storage with an external drive - but Apple makes slow storage THE GOLD STANDARD!

UNBELIEVABLE!!

Too many ALL CAPS in that post. Blocked.
  • Reply 13 of 76

Fusion drives suck - it's a $100 upcharge for a tiny performance increase.  But wait...there's more.  Last Generation Intel processors, no USB Type-C ports, and only Intel Graphics driving a 4K display - that's gonna hurt!  Apple has lost it's mojo - satisfied with mediocrity.  

• Reply 14 of 76

Makes me guess January for Macbook Pros.

• Reply 15 of 76
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I think they are trying to drive the price down instead for greater market penetration. Look at all the craptastic PC machines available. In this case you get an awesome screen with components that you can upgrade if you want, although many people won't have to.

If you want top-end, go for the 27".  Both of these products hit a different level of customer.

• Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TEAMSWITCHER View Post

UNBELIEVABLE!!

All of them besides the cheapest configuration have a Fusion drive, which includes a 128 GB SSD to put frequently used files on. This will function just as a fast as an SSD in 95% of situations and almost no one would ever be able to tell a difference in daily use. This is a great solution for a desktop computer, and space constraints are the only reason we don't see it also used in laptops.

• Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by derekson View Post

All of them besides the cheapest configuration have a Fusion drive, which includes a 128 GB SSD to put frequently used files on. This will function just as a fast as an SSD in 95% of situations and almost no one would ever be able to tell a difference in daily use. This is a great solution for a desktop computer, and space constraints are the only reason we don't see it also used in laptops.

In the 21" version, all of the base models, including the 4K model, have a 1TB hard disk drive.  No fusion drives unless you build-to-order one.  Yes the 27" models are better equipped but there too, if I need slow mass storage, I'd rather just hang an external drive off the machine than be forced to suffer slow storage across the entire experience.  Today, 256 GB SSD's are not hundreds of dollars more expensive than a hard 1 TB disk drive.  Retail prices show only about a $50 difference.  Apple is willfully nerf-ing their products to gouge people for expensive upgrades.  

If we all stop buying this crap...they will stop selling it.

• Reply 18 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    In that Bloomberg interview with Apple executives after the September event Phil Schiller said he worried about Apple becoming to formulaic. He was referring to product launch events but one place I think they have is in this whole upsell business. I hate retailers that mark something up so they can put a 50% off sticker on it and make you think you're getting a steal. With Apple I wish they'd worry less about needing to be at a specific price point with their entry level Macs and just provide a good entry level device that people think they're getting value for, even if it means the entry level device might be a little more expensive.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Go get a windows9 then.

You are expecting Kia prices for a BMW.  If you want the best you need to pay extra.  Deal with it or go buy a POS windows

I also use Windows 10..and there's a lot to like about it.  Sure Windows can have lower "lows" than Apple Products, but also higher "highs."  3D graphics in particular on a DIY-PC can vastly exceed what a Mac is capable of with better hardware and better drivers for a lot less money.  Tim Cook is resting on Laurels with this iMac roll out - a mistake that will cost Apple sales and rightfully so.

• Reply 20 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TEAMSWITCHER View Post

In the 21" version, all of the base models, including the 4K model, have a 1TB hard disk drive.  No fusion drives unless you build-to-order one.  Yes the 27" models are better equipped but there too, if I need slow mass storage, I'd rather just hang an external drive off the machine than be forced to suffer slow storage across the entire experience.  Today, 256 GB SSD's are not hundreds of dollars more expensive than a hard 1 TB disk drive.  Retail prices show only about a $50 difference.  Apple is willfully nerf-ing their products to gouge people for expensive upgrades.  

If we all stop buying this crap...they will stop selling it.

Fusion drives are available at Apple stores and retailers; so not uniquely build to order.

My iMac 5K fusion drive;

disk0s2:

Media Name:    APPLE SSD SD0128F Media

Size:    120.99 GB (120,988,852,224 bytes)

Medium Type:    SSD

Protocol:    PCI

Internal:    Yes

Partition Map Type:    GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. Status:    Verified

PV UUID:    BDA182D4-6F31-4B1D-B0B5-8CAA0F129936

disk1s2:

Media Name:    APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 Media

Size:    999.35 GB (999,345,012,736 bytes)

Medium Type:    Rotational

Protocol:    SATA

Internal:    Yes

Partition Map Type:    GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. Status:    Verified

PV UUID:    DAF0CF6C-0090-4C26-B8B5-68B8B0BDF3E9

Fusion is a great deal for $100 bucks up sell, and more usable than just an SSD for most applications.

Your rant is misplaced.