Apple upgrades all 27-inch iMacs to 5K Retina displays & Intel Skylake CPUs, starting at $1,799

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2015
As part of a host of updates to the iMac lineup on Tuesday, Apple upgraded all of its 27-inch iMac models to not only high-resolution 5K Retina displays, but also Intel's latest-generation Skylake processors, priced starting at $1,799.

The base model iMac comes with a 3.2-gigahertz Core i5 processor, 8 gigabytes of RAM, a 1-terabyte hard drive, and an AMD Radeon R9 M380 graphics card with 2 gigabytes of VRAM. For $1,999 buyers can upgrade to a 1 terabyte Fusion Drive, and a Radeon R9 M390 graphics card.

The top-end stock configuration, priced at $2,229, includes a 3.3-gigahertz Core i5, a 2-terabyte Fusion Drive, and Radeon R9 M395 graphics.

In each case though shoppers can customize their order for even better perofrmance. In the case of the top-end model, this includes options like a 4-gigahertz Core i7 processor, up to 32 gigabytes of RAM, and up to 3 terabytes of Fusion Drive space, or 1 terabyte of pure flash storage. For faster graphics, buyers can pick a Radeon R9 M395X card with 4 gigabytes of VRAM.

By default, the systems come with Apple's new Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard. Alternately users can choose to go with things like a Magic Trackpad 2, and/or older peripherals including a wired Apple Mouse or the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad.

Stock models are shipping as quickly as Oct. 15. Built-to-order configurations will take longer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    Noyce! Time to upgrade for me.
  • Reply 2 of 112

The Apple Site Tech Specs say Bluetooth v4.0

Why Bluetooth 4.0, if all their newest iPhones, iPad's & such, support Bluetooth 4.2 ???

Maybe a firmware upgrade down the road??

• Reply 3 of 112
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm sorry, but all these iMacs should come with 16gb of RAM.
    Even the top line 27" iMac at $2300 is 8gb.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    satchmo wrote: »

Apple has no idea what you plan to do with your iMac, so they're right to offer a low-end configuration as well as plenty of customization.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

Why can't the 21.5inch Model be upgraded to the 4Ghz i7, 32Gb Ram as well as 1TB SSD? Just because some people prefer a smaller screen doesn't mean they require less cpu, memory and storage... Same with the MacBook Line.. 

• Reply 6 of 112
    mdjcmmdjcm Posts: 29member
    Error in article, base iMac graphics card.

AMD Radeon R9 M380 with 2GB video

Nice update though, base 27" is attractive.
  • Reply 7 of 112

Apple has no idea what you plan to do with your iMac, so they're right to offer a low-end configuration as well as plenty of customization.

Perhaps at the low end it's justified.
    But at the high end, with fast graphics, processing power, webpages of video and music production, they certainly know who they're targeting. 8gb is just being cheap.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    You must live in a very small world

Apple would be doing it if they were private, right? ;)
  • Reply 9 of 112
    sog35 wrote: »
    You must live in a very small world

Try again when you can make a valid argument instead of churlish comments.:rolleyes:
  • Reply 10 of 112
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Perhaps at the low end it's justified.

But at the high end, with fast graphics, processing power, webpages of video and music production, they certainly know who they're targeting. 8gb is just being cheap.

They probably know the top end, will customize anyway and are not price sensitive (especially for RAM!).

• Reply 11 of 112
    It's frustrating to see the steps back here. 1 TB Fusion drive now only has 24GB of flash?! 1 TB 7200 RPM (non-fusion) drive is standard on a 27" 5K iMac? WTF? And now the 256GB flash is an expensive upgrade? It used to be standard. And I absolutely cannot beleive the 21" is still using 5400 RPM drives!
  • Reply 12 of 112
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Why on earth should everybody have to pay for the extra RAM if it is not needed?! Not everybody has the same use case as you.

• Reply 13 of 112

The fact is I need to upgrade to some form of mac based machine and I am very tempted by this as this what I have been waiting for!

Now to decide if this would be a good purchase. Id likely go for the top end 27" and add in an i7 processor, upgrade the ram (non apple, if still possible on these) and change to a pure SSD.

I was going to purchase this when I was a full student but decided to wait for new models, there used to be a way you could buy with student discount without being a student but sadly now this has been closed. My employer will give me a 20% discount on the base models, but I would really like an i7 and SSD, need to consider options.... but happy with he upgrade.

• Reply 14 of 112
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

I read the fine print and it appears Apple has finally upgraded the flash storage, hopefully to the same type as the latest and fastest MacBooks. "For maximum performance, you can configure iMac with up to 1TB of PCIe-based flash storage that’s now up to 2.5 times faster than the previous version." This is what I was waiting for. As for worrying about the RAM, until Apple drops their prices, I get mine with a lifetime warranty for much less from OWC. I can't wait to see the first speed tests on the 27", quad-core i7 with flash storage.

• Reply 15 of 112
    Zero love for the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    mike1 wrote: »
    Why on earth should everybody have to pay for the extra RAM if it is not needed?! Not everybody has the same use case as you.

I'd love to know who in their right mind would buy a tricked out 27" iMac for $2300 and not future proof it by upgrading to 16gb?
    I'm suggesting the top end model should come standard w/16gb. The cost is to Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    satchmo wrote: »

I'd love to know who in their right mind would buy a tricked out 27" iMac for $2300 and not future proof it by upgrading to 16gb?
    I'm suggesting the top end model should come standard w/16gb. The cost is to Apple.

I'm rejecting your suggestion.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Quote:

The memory is user-upgradeable on the 27" iMac. After-market Crucial 32GB RAM costs about $150. You can future-proof it whenever you want.

• Reply 19 of 112
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Quote:

Originally Posted by support.apple.com View Post

The iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Mid 2015) can't be used as Target Display Mode displays.

I haz a sad.  :( 

• Reply 20 of 112

Well if you want to bitch, no DDR4, only core i5, lame 8gb of standard RAM, weak ass 7200 rpm drive standard - this is all true.....but I'm buying one anyway. You just need to pimp it out. I will get the 27" w/ 4.0ghz core i7, 8gb - will upgrade to 32gb later, 512gb flash, R9 395x 4gb RAM graphics, Magic Trackpad2. Time to give my Late 2008 Macbook Pro to my 6 year old daughter, which by the way, still works pretty good with an ssd and El Capitan. So, a new iMac Retina will be light years ahead of where I'm at now -$3,478.66 w/ tax and Applecare....which sounds high until I remember buying a top of the line Compaq Presario laptop back in 2000 that cost me $3,300.