Apple's redesigned Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard gain integrated batteries, Lightning ports

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    polymnia wrote: »
    Okay, I'll bite on this.

I have more macs than anyone I know, I have 3.

How can you possibly be in personally in charge of 300?

If you do, that is your job, right?

If so, that's what you are being paid for, I don't feel that bad for you.

Anyway, deploy 300 lightning cables to your users and you will have plenty of time to find more interesting things to complain about.

:) If it is someone's job to charge other people's keyboards, mice & trackpads I want the job those people have. In most settings a user would be in charge of his or her own keyboard so it all things being equal it sounds like a nice place to work.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    ^^^ How about someone from AI contact Apple PR and ask them why they don't offer a wireless extended keyboard?

Like this one?
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/H7332LL/A/logitech-wireless-solar-keyboard-k750
  • Reply 43 of 127

Looks like OS X 10.11 is a requirement for these too.

• Reply 44 of 127
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The best new feature of the MM2 is hands down that when it is dropped to the floor the flimsy lid and the two batteries don't explode all over the floor. The smoother tracking base is also welcome for me and my hard wood desk.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    Keyboard: Yawn. The "stability" of keys has never been an issue with any keyboard I have owned. That's just marketing speak. I might evaluate the feel of this new keyboard, but $99 is simply too much when I can get the previous generation, which I like, from various sources for half that. Besides, what I need is a USB keyboard.

Mouse: I hated the shape of the first generation of this mouse the instant I tried it at an Apple store. Pretty, but obviously uncomfortable. Since the shape hasn't changed there's no reason to change my mind. Give us something ergonomic not artistic.

Trackpad: For some reason Apple Insider staff didn't discuss this one above, although it is listed the Apple Store. There are few details though, so I'll wait for the reviews. The real hitch is whether I want to push my mouse further to the side to get space for it. Probably not, and for $129, especially not.

Batteries: Built-in batteries are a pain. I prefer replaceable ones. It's not that hard to carry two AA spares to handle a suddenly dead battery.

Lightning cable: I'm disappointed Apple didn't make all three of these accessories, especially the keyboard, connect to iOS devices through a Lightning-to-Lightning cable, bypassing Bluetooth. I've been in WiFi-intense situations where Bluetooth became very flaky.

General: I'd hope for a keyboard that'd mimic that of the latest Apple laptops, meaning with a built-in trackpad. I like to have a common UI for desktop and mobile. No such luck.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    Although I wasn't expecting it, I'd really hoped we'd see an extended keyboard.

At this point for me the wired keyboard (with numeric keypad) and mouse (new magic mouse looks nice, but not worth throwing out old one) are still the best combination input devices for a desktop machine (assuming no space limitations).

so far ive found the Logitech solar to be the best extended keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Solar-Keyboard-K750/dp/B005L38VRU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444749511&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+keyboard+k750

• Reply 47 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There are certainly highly customizable mice out there, I bought one solely for playing PC games when I boot into Windows.

But as far as keyboards go...have you seen whats bundled with a $1,000+ DELL desktop, or what is sitting on the desk of most office workers? It's a disgrace. Straight out of 1987. Skyscraper keys sure to give an entire generation arthritis or carpal tunnel.

You are right, bundled stuff is often garbage on PC's. 

But if you are in the market for a $100 keyboard a lot of people like a well performing cusomizable keyboard with the feeling of something like Cherry keys for example. There are tons of options out there for key travel, firmness, etc. to suit ones self.

My point was that for the same price you can easily find very high quality mouses or keyboards on the PC side if you are purchasing them.

• Reply 48 of 127
    inkling wrote: »
    Keyboard: Yawn. The "stability" of keys has never been an issue with any keyboard I have owned. That's just marketing speak. I might evaluate the feel of this new keyboard, but $99 is simply too much when I can get the previous generation, which I like, from various sources for half that. Besides, what I need is a USB keyboard.

Mouse: I hated the shape of the first generation of this mouse the instant I tried it at an Apple store. Pretty, but obviously uncomfortable. Since the shape hasn't changed there's no reason to change my mind. Give us something ergonomic not artistic.

Trackpad: For some reason Apple Insider staff didn't discuss this one above, although it is listed the Apple Store. There are few details though, so I'll wait for the reviews. The real hitch is whether I want to push my mouse further to the side to get space for it. Probably not, and for $129, especially not.

Batteries: Built-in batteries are a pain. I prefer replaceable ones. It's not that hard to carry two AA spares to handle a suddenly dead battery.

Lightning cable: I'm disappointed Apple didn't make all three of these accessories, especially the keyboard, connect to iOS devices through a Lightning-to-Lightning cable, bypassing Bluetooth. I've been in WiFi-intense situations where Bluetooth became very flaky.

General: I'd hope for a keyboard that'd mimic that of the latest Apple laptops, meaning with a built-in trackpad. I like to have a common UI for desktop and mobile. No such luck.

It's not easy being green, but you're doing a hell of a job.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    zroger73 wrote: »
    I use Eneloop batteries in my current Apple keyboard and trackpad. They last well over a month. I always have a set in a charger so all it takes is less than minute to swap them out. I do not like the idea of having to plug in my keyboard, trackpad, and mouse to recharge them - that is a step back from the whole "wireless" concept, no? I wonder how many people will simply leave them plugged in all the time.

nah. digging out a little lightning cable (that i already have for my phone) once a month is way handier than a wall charger and extra batteries to manage.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    Most people do not know how or use the number pad people. I was born in 1975 and was taught to use the number keys on the keyboard effectively. ...

Different people have different needs. If you do work in a spreadsheet at all you might understand better. As others have said, you improve accuracy and speed dramatically, and the math operators are a huge bonus.

There are also a number of different typing styles. Some people do better with awef jio; rather than asdf jkl; Personally, I often split with my left hand on srtum(thumb on space) and right hand split between trackpad and keypad.

I have the PoS LMP "matching" keypad for the old keyboard that Apple sells. It really bugs me having to throw away three sets of batteries every 3 months, but the AA rechargeables are useless.

Really hope Apple could add an extended wireless keyboard... ideally with built-in trackpad, but I am likely an outlier there.
  • Reply 51 of 127

The lack of Force Touch is definitely a let down. One of my major complaints with the Magic Mouse is the inability to rest my fingers on the surface, with FT I would finally be able to do that. It's why I continue to use the disposable Mighty Mouse (can't properly clean the little ball).

• Reply 52 of 127
    nolamacguy wrote: »

so far ive found the Logitech solar to be the best extended keyboard:

How long have you had it? People seem to complain about batteries dying after 6-12 months.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    It seems strange that the Lightning port is on the bottom of the new mouse. That means you can't use it at all when it's dead. Whereas before if you have two new batteries you're back in business in no time.

I wonder if it has a similar feature to the apple pencil where a short charge time gets you several more minutes of use.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    inkling wrote: »

Did you forget: "Hey, get off my lawn, punk!"
  • Reply 55 of 127
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    My Twitter feed is full of people complaining that you can't use th Magic Mouse while it's charging. Um, do they not know that a 2 minute charge provides 9 hours of battery life? Why does the thing need to be charging while you're using it?
  • Reply 56 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Better now with the built in battery in the mouse. I sure wish Apple would address via software the ability to limit the touch area on the mouse to avoid accidental input. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it's a real problem. I've developed a bit of a claw from using the mouse ever since it first came out. ?????

So true. When I move my mouse, it shakes my screen thinking I'm swiping. It's nauseating.
    zroger73 wrote: »
    Really? Having unsightly cables connected to these devices is better? Switching back to "wired" mode while waiting for the batteries to recharge is better? Having to either throw away the device or replace an expensive, built-in battery every few years is better than spending a few dollars for a couple of AA rechargeable batteries? To each his/her own! :)

You plug it in at night. Unplug when you use it again. You know, like you do with your iPhone.

How often do you get new Macs? These should last for years.
    portcity wrote: »
    $79 for a mouse, $99 for a keyboard, $99 for a stylus. The price of Apple's accessories is becoming ridiculous. Sure the keyboard and mouse are smaller and lighter but using less material shouldn't equal a price hike. The new trackpad is $129 but at least it comes with force touch.

Or you can use what comes with the Mac.

Hmmm. Maybe I missed it but I'm surprised no one complained about having multiple lightning cables utilizing multiple USB ports. Apple hates users. /s
  • Reply 57 of 127
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    pmz wrote: »

If you compare them to the flat out junk made by the rest of the industry, Apple accessories seem like a bargain to me. 

These are not just accessories, they are the input devices themselves! The only part of the iMac you actually touch. They ought to be the damn best thing that can be made, and who cares what they cost?

This is one place where the PC industry has not even tried to catch up in terms of quality.

You obviously don't compute professionally.
    Apple accessories don't even come close compared to pro options on the market. Mainly the mice.
    Logitech MX mice are light years ahead in design, ergonomics, precision, function, programmability, battery, darkfield, build quality...
    The wired extended keyboard is the only accessory in use in our studio.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    I have had my K750 for about 2.5 years now. No problems at all. I also have two K760's that I use with my and my wife's iPads and other bluetooth devices. So the K750 sits front and center, an Apple Magic trackpad on its left and a Logitech Marble Mouse USB (trackball) to its right. This setup works very well for me.
    I also have the PC version of the K750, also about 2.5 years old and no problems with it either. My only complaint about the keyboard is that there is no sign that caps lock has been engaged except for about a two second LED light on the caps lock key when first engaged. Normally not a problem, just an occasional annoyance when it is accidentally engaged when typing a password.

I also have a rechargeable Logitech trackpad which was given to me. I tried using it, but it is just not responsive enough for me. It lags too much in use. You have slow down to really use, whereas I can go at the speed I like with Apple's trackpad. So it sits unused and will stay that way.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    Looking forward to the new keyboard. Not now. Having multiple systems with different Operating Systems the lightning port is a DOA. Logitech is the only option for me. Same for the mice.

I could careless about the glide/force touch pad with or without the lightning port.
  • Reply 60 of 127
    Guys! They said they improved the scissors key, does it mean they didn't move it to the MacBook butterfly key system?? I love it why would they not move to that system, and if they did why not mentioning it?