Apple upgrades all 27-inch iMacs to 5K Retina displays & Intel Skylake CPUs, starting at $1,799

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

These would have been passable machines if introduced in the Spring of 2015 but they are a bit of a joke now.

Agree, who buys these monstrosities any more anyway. I imagine they don't sell many , most of mac sales are MacBooks I would guess

What is the point in buying an iMac, The obvious solution is to buy a macbook pro or tower thingy and have 2 or 3 much cheaper monitors attached (daisy chained or whatever) that way you don't have to replace the screen on every upgrade cycle. Those iMacs are just for show to look nice on a table in some reception area or architects office anyhow

• Reply 42 of 112
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I'm rejecting your rejection! If you pay good money for the high end model you should get something for it. That would be two 8GB DIMM modules which are actually trivially priced these days. It isn't like the machines introduce modern memory systems either, over all a pathetic update.

I'm rejecting your rejection! ????
  • Reply 43 of 112
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pistis View Post

I don't believe you open it up and add more ram

Adding more memory is made so easy on an imac that even I can do it, especially the new ones.:)

• Reply 44 of 112
    Next year is the HBM2 year for GPGPUs. I have no desire to buy any AIO system when < 12 months later HBM2 Memory up to 32GB becomes reality.

I'll just pick up a new Mac mini for novel writing and wait for a real system based GPU that is coming. The AMD Radeon Fury Nano makes it clear that GPGPUs are going big, while their total surface area is shrinking rapidly.

2015 is the wasted year in traditional computing. That goes for desktop, laptop and workstation options.
  • Reply 45 of 112
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

The Apple Site Tech Specs say Bluetooth v4.0

Why Bluetooth 4.0, if all their newest iPhones, iPad's & such, support Bluetooth 4.2 ???

Maybe a firmware upgrade down the road??

I think the 4.2 is more concerned with power efficiency.... and desktop computers aren't built for power efficiency but maximum performance. 

• Reply 46 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Thunderbolt 3? USB 3.1 type C (reversible) generation 2? Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad with built-in USB 3.1 hub? SDXC reader with UHS-II maximum speed (300 MB/s read/write)?

I'm guessing the current incremental bump is a placeholder until the iMac line gets a substantial update using the latest tech in another year or two.

I thought this would be the update for my mid 2011 27" iMac, but it still performs well enough I can wait another year or two to see where Apple is headed.

• Reply 47 of 112
    pistis wrote: »

Agree, who buys these monstrosities any more anyway. I imagine they don't sell many , most of mac sales are MacBooks I would guess

What is the point in buying an iMac, The obvious solution is to buy a macbook pro or tower thingy and have 2 or 3 much cheaper monitors attached (daisy chained or whatever) that way you don't have to replace the screen on every upgrade cycle. Those iMacs are just for show to look nice on a table in some reception area or architects office anyhow

iMac sales are well past 1 million, quarterly. Sorry, but your idea this space isn't growing is not substantiated. What is not growing is the external high resolution market space. That will change when their price target ranges nominally fall between $399-$799 for 4k/5k IPS based solutions from 27"-40" and no I'm not talking about HDMI 2.x monitors.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm not sure where you get that idea. The 27" iMac largely sells to professionals. As such this machine is a huge disappointment.

I've been using my top of the line iMac 5K for about 8 months now in a professional environment, mostly Adobe CC, and I have not experienced any performance issues. My only complaint is I need more TB and USB ports, but that is a unique situation in that I have a FW disk array, USB drive for Time Machine, a DVD and I also need two network interfaces. That leaves me with one USB remaining and zero TB. It is sort of a hassle to have to reach around the back to plug in a flash drive, but other than that I'm happy with the machine. I still use my previous Mac Pro too which has the USB right in front which is so convenient for flash sticks.

I might pick up the new 21 inch for home to replace an older iMac.

• Reply 49 of 112
    Quote:

I don't believe you open it up and add more ram

It sounds like you've never owned an iMac before. It literally takes minutes to add memory to an iMac. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191

• Reply 50 of 112
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why can't a BMW 3-series have a 12 cylinder engine like the BMW 7-series?

The only accurate statement you’re making is about the processor. There’s no excuse for offering less RAM and drive capacity.

I don’t see why the 21.5 can’t have a RAM door, either. Maybe the retina model will.

• Reply 51 of 112
    Quote:

MacPro starts at $3k

And why the hell would you spend serious money and attach it to a crappy screen.

I said mac book Pro they cost about $1500

As for crappy screens, well you obviously don't get out much

• Reply 52 of 112
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    It sounds like you've never owned an iMac before. It literally takes minutes to add memory to an iMac. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191

Thanks for that link. ????????
  • Reply 53 of 112
    Quote:

I guess in your world its 2016 already.  Eat a cock (chicken)

Don't try to wangle out of your promise! Bollocks to that

• Reply 54 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Those iMacs are just for show to look nice on a table in some reception area or architects office anyhow

The 27 is ideal for iOS developers. You can have all the Xcode panels open with a nice big code view panel along with the iOS simulator.

• Reply 55 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

iMac sales are well past 1 million, quarterly. Sorry, but your idea this space isn't growing is not substantiated. What is not growing is the external high resolution market space. That will change when their price target ranges nominally fall between $399-$799 for 4k/5k IPS based solutions from 27"-40" and no I'm not talking about HDMI 2.x monitors.

For most folks a standard LED screen is quite sufficient to watch movies and do all the tasks they need. There are many monitor selling in the $200-300 range in fact I have 2x 24 inch Visio wide screen monitors (bought whole sale with discount at $125 ea)  that I attach to my mac book Pro. All I do on them is stock market trading where I need 4 windows open to see charts, trading platform etc.. If I bought Apple's monitors it would have cost me $1000's.  Now of course if you are a professional graphics artist and require a detailed color accurate monitor yes an iMac/display screen is going to work for you , but really, all this crap about needing 4k resolution screens is just that , the TV industry hugely overhyping a tech that 95% of people don't need. Most of em can't even tell the difference anyway and on top of that how many broadcast station actually  shoot in 4k, very few. We are simply at the bleeding edge of this high resolution curve and if you buy it now  you are a fool who can easily be separated from your money imho , just bragging to your "friends" to make it seem you are hip in here. I'd wait 2-3 years at least to buy hi res.

• Reply 56 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The 27 is ideal for iOS developers. You can have all the Xcode panels open with a nice big code view panel along with the iOS simulator.

27 inch oh yeah, for $300 you can have two quite acceptable LED screens attached. How much is that 27in Apple display again? oh wait they no longer sell it and if I remember correctly it cost about $2000 , wtf!!!

No wonder apple makes so much money, with customers like you.

Check this out!

http://www.vizio.com/d24hc1.html

For the same price as you iMac your can buy a Mac Book Pro ($1300) and two monitors $300 , 

Thus you have more real estate to work on and a computer you can take with you 

Game set and match

• Reply 57 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Next year is the HBM2 year for GPGPUs. I have no desire to buy any AIO system when < 12 months later HBM2 Memory up to 32GB becomes reality.

I'll just pick up a new Mac mini for novel writing and wait for a real system based GPU that is coming. The AMD Radeon Fury Nano makes it clear that GPGPUs are going big, while their total surface area is shrinking rapidly.

2015 is the wasted year in traditional computing. That goes for desktop, laptop and workstation options.

Hey guys, lots of discussion going on in this thread, but could people comment on if they think it's a good time now to buy an iMac? I tend to buy something pretty high end at the time and then usually run it until what most people consider past it's due date. I currently have a 1.8ghz ,core2duo, 2gb, horrible intel onboard graphics, OS X lion machine that I need to update.

Are these GPU upgrades signification to hold off? The machine i am using at the moment is from 2007 and I am happy to buy the top end iMac but want to run it for around the same lifespan. I would consider a temporary machine to bridge the gap before jumping into the 5k if a worthwhile upgrade is coming, although i appreciate there is always something new around the corner!

• Reply 58 of 112
    Quote:

So you expect mainstream buyers to do this:

buy a Macbook Pro

Buy a stand alone monitor

Buy a stand alone keyboard

Buy a stand alone mouse

Put together a mish-mash unit

or

buy an iMac that is all-in-on.  

Looks beautiful.

Has a beautiful screen.

Go ahead and price me a MacbookPro, a 27 inch screen thats just as good, Apple mouse, and Apple keyboard.  How much do you save?  

listen lets put this to rest

You only have to buy a mouse, keyboard track pad once and the monitors, ONCE and they will last a very long time

In fact I still have  my original Apple track pad, mouse and keyboards from over 5 years ago.

Every time you get a iMac you get these brand new every time, yes its included, BUT gee I wonder why the total price is so high hmmmm, could it be because they are adding the price of the keyboard and mouse to the package, and you don't have the option of not purchasing them do you with the computer?

Every time you buy a Mac Book Pro you get the latest processor and all stuff inside with latest tech usually, no mouse, separate track pad (and its not needed)

Bottom line you save money by buying components rather than replacing you entire system each time

The facts speak  for  themselves many more MacBooks are sold than iMacs. Does this not perhaps suggest that most people are using them as mobile devices , well of course it does.

I use mine as mobile device AND I simply slip it into a dock when I get home  and I have  desktop. It's a no brainer. For you to keep arguing this is stupid is IDIOTIC. To buy an iMac is, from this point of view,  idiotic because you don't have mobility. I won't go into the arguments about professionals needing iMacs because that is irrelevant to this discussion.

The simple fact is that once you buy an iMac you basically got locked in to  a device that is not upgradable (yes a mac book is too), but you also just tied the  processor to the screen. If you want a newer  screen you cannot use it. Yes you can daisy chain but really how many monitors out there use thunderbolt. I've looked btw! If the iMac screen goes bad your whole computer is toast, and please don't BS me with "I can replace the screen" stupidity

• Reply 59 of 112
    satchmo wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but all these iMacs should come with 16gb of RAM.
    Even the top line 27" iMac at $2300 is 8gb.

I'm sorry, but all these iMacs should come in top specs only.
  • Reply 60 of 112
    Quote:

WTF are you talking about.

First you say it needs 16GB ram, 512GB SSD, and top end graphics card.  And now you say people would not mind a standard LED screen. I mean WTF.

now you are getting confused, I didn't mention these specs, someone else did.