Apple upgrades all 27-inch iMacs to 5K Retina displays & Intel Skylake CPUs, starting at $1,799

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I can't imagine many honest and glowing reviews over this "new" hardware. Read the specs and it is pretty obvious the bean counters have taken over at Apple.

A glowing review of an Apple product that you don't find spec'd out enough = "dishonest" review?
  • Reply 62 of 112
    sog35 wrote: »
    Why does Apple still call this iMac?  I thought i-devices all run iOS?  

Like the iPod Nano or the iPod Classic?
  • Reply 63 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistis View Post

27 inch oh yeah, for $300 you can have two quite acceptable LED screens attached. How much is that 27in Apple display again? oh wait they no longer sell it and if I remember correctly it cost about $2000 , wtf!!!

No wonder apple makes so much money, with customers like you.

Check this out!

http://www.vizio.com/d24hc1.html

For the same price as you iMac your can buy a Mac Book Pro ($1300) and two monitors $300 , 

Thus you have more real estate to work on and a computer you can take with you 

I usually only work at the office so I rarely need my project to be portable. I like a nice big monitor, dead center, facing forward. No way two $150, 24" cheap ass monitors are better for an Xcode project than one 27" retina screen. Although you can detach windows in Xcode I prefer to keep them connected. I have worked with multiple monitors before but prefer one big monitor. Turning your head and getting the mouse over to the other monitor is annoying and is not very ergonomic.

Plus you can't get the OS or application top menu bars on the extended desktop of the second monitor, which means that if you are interacting with content on the second monitor, you still have to manage the menus and the dock on the primary monitor. That seems very awkward to me. No thanks.

• Reply 64 of 112
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So you expect mainstream buyers to do this:

buy a Macbook Pro

Buy a stand alone monitor

Buy a stand alone keyboard

Buy a stand alone mouse

Put together a mish-mash unit

or

buy an iMac that is all-in-on.  

Looks beautiful.

Has a beautiful screen.

Go ahead and price me a MacbookPro, a 27 inch screen thats just as good, Apple mouse, and Apple keyboard.  How much do you save?  

27 inch iMac 5k with fusion drive $1900

vs

Macbook Pro $1500

Decent 4k 27 inch monitor $500

Apple keyboard $100

Apple mouse $80

Total $2180

Using YOUR numbers the price is only $100 more because I already have keyboard and mouse

+$100 with the ability to take the macbook mobile, yup good deal!

and when I upgrade to a new mac book in 3 years I save another $400 because I already have the monitor

err... give up now you lost the argument

• Reply 65 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I usually only work at the office so I rarely need my project to be portable. I like a nice big monitor, dead center, facing forward. No way two $150, 24" cheap ass monitors are better for an Xcode project than one 27" retina screen. Although you can detach windows in Xcode I prefer to keep them connected. I have worked with multiple monitors before but prefer one big monitor. Turning your head and getting the mouse over to the other monitor is annoying and is not very ergonomic.

Plus you can't get the OS or application top menu bars on the extended desktop of the second monitor, which means that if you are interacting with content on the second monitor, you still have you manage the menus on the primary monitor. That seems very awkward to me. No thanks.

Fine , for YOUR  "use case" , but we are not talking about YOUR use case

we were talking about economics of general use case, but I guess that was lost on YOU, 

• Reply 66 of 112
    Quote:

Fine , for YOUR  "use case" , but we are not talking about YOUR use case

we were talking about economics of general use case, but I guess that was lost on YOU, 

What is wrong with you? You replied to my post where I said the 27 is ideal for iOS developers and you argued against that assersion. So now you are saying that it is a good solution for iOS developers? Which is it?

Are you still trying to argue that most iOS developers use a MBP and two shitty 24" monitors than developers that use a 27" iMac?

• Reply 67 of 112
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Am I right that RAM is not soldered in and that hard drives cannot be swapped out?
  • Reply 68 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Am I right that RAM is not soldered in and that hard drives cannot be swapped out?

I believe you are right about the RAM and wrong about the hard drives.

• Reply 69 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

On the 27" you can change the ram easily. Not sure about the 21". Changing the hard drive requires professional tools and expertise as you have to remove the screen.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2309+and+2374+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1634

• Reply 70 of 112
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member

Thanks mstone. I'm not a fan of taking iMac's apart, but with an iFixit guide I always feel more confident. Memory is easy enough then, now I'm debating the 1tb flash storage and it's $700 price tag which could break me for a while and why I ask.

Where can I find the same flash storage or similar and do it myself for much less?

• Reply 71 of 112
    Quote:

And stop it with taking your macbook with you.  Okay if you are single.  But if you are married or have a family how pissed off will the wife/child be when the 'desktop' is missing from the office because you took it to Starbucks.

Again do you think mainstream wants this:

or this

if the answer is not obvious then you have no idea what the mainstream market wants.

The top picture is ridiculous, of course with THAT example no, you deliberately went out of your way to show the worst possible setup you could find of tangle wires and ergonomically unfit setup

First off I mentioned a dock, which you know perfectly well is a much better option

Second my suggested set up is two monitors with cables strung thru the arms they are attached to can be done very easily and made to look very   nice.

http://www.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/larger_wm_brw/public/field/image/2014/01/4k_macbook_pro_hero.jpg?itok=vVPFgzZo

That  is an example of the kind of thing I have in mind, that one doesn't show an arm with two monitor setup. There are many companies selling these things with arms that can go up and down to even into standing positions so stop behaving like you are unaware. You know damned well what I'm talking about! so don't play ignorant with me. Grow up!

• Reply 72 of 112
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Quote:

why can't a BMW 3-series have a 12 cylinder engine like the BMW 7-series?

Seriously?

• Reply 73 of 112

Hmm not sure about this iMac vs macbook debate, yes the macbook + monitors is messy and has lower quality screens, but you also have to consider that the iMac is a good deal more powerful than the macbook pro and I think you have a completely different audience. Seems crazy to me to buy a Macbook and attach it to a monitor, only point of that is if you absoultey have to have portibility and don't want to buy two machines.

Quote:

The top picture is ridiculous, of course with THAT example no, you deliberately went out of your way to show the worst possible setup you could find of tangle wires and ergonomically unfit setup

First off I mentioned a dock, which you know perfectly well is a much better option

Second my suggested set up is two monitors with cables strung thru the arms they are attached to can be done very easily and made to look very   nice.

http://www.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/larger_wm_brw/public/field/image/2014/01/4k_macbook_pro_hero.jpg?itok=vVPFgzZo

That  is an example of the kind of thing I have in mind, that one doesn't show an arm with two monitor setup. There are many companies selling these things with arms that can go up and down to even into standing positions so stop behaving like you are uanware . You know damned well what I'm talking about! so don't play ignorant with me. Grow up!

Not diggin' it. Why bother with this? The iMac is more powerful than this/has a better screen. Most users don't need multiple monitors, the iMac seems a better option. Better machine, better screen, which is the whole point.

• Reply 74 of 112
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Shame new form factor, its almost a little dated now. Maybe next year.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Hmm not sure about this iMac vs macbook debate, yes the macbook + monitors is messy and has lower quality screens, but you also have to consider that the iMac is a good deal more powerful than the macbook pro and I think you have a completely different audience. Seems crazy to me to buy a Macbook and attach it to a monitor, only point of that is if you absoultey have to have portibility and don't want to buy two machines.

Not diggin' it. Why bother with this? The iMac is more powerful than this/has a better screen. Most users don't need multiple monitors, the iMac seems a better option. Better machine, better screen, which is the whole point.

I just don't like being forced into a cage which says buy an iMac then you are at the mercy of the tech inside becoming obsolete with hardly any upgrade path. Apple has done this for a long time. I am just trying to offer people a cheaper way of doing it, thats all. if you really must have perfection then well go for it, but it will cost more. That all I'm saying. I don't 100% agree with the "messy" label. It can be set up to look almost as good with the right arm and dock, but it takes some effort to get it right.

• Reply 76 of 112
    Quote:

So now to follow your 'plan' some one needs to buy:

Macbook pro

2 monitors

Apple Mouse

Apple keyboard

Docking station

Face time camera

Cable organizing kit

Stereo Speakers

Microphone

You would need 5 power cables (mac, 2 monitors, speakers, dock)

Cable for dock to monitors

Cable for speakers

Cable for microphone

cable for face time camera

What a mess

With the iMac its one power cable at its DONE. 

or they could just buy an iMac. For cheaper. With a better screen. With a faster CPU. That looks 100x nicer.

Your solutions still looks alot more ugly than the iMac

vs

Sorry no way mainstream consumer wants your setup

Well that's a judgement call. I think we end up agreeing to disagree which is fine I respect your call on that I just think it is incorrect! I simply tried to explain why it is incorrect. I'm sure you feel the same in reverse. 

I could resort to the tried and tested troll which would be " Yeah but the one screen setup is just for playing, not real work" , but I won't - dang! :)

• Reply 77 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Seems crazy to me to buy a Macbook and attach it to a monitor, only point of that is if you absoultey have to have portibility and don't want to buy two machines.

I can imagine some nice dual monitor setups with a MBP but the good ones use two 27" Cinemas, one dead center and the other off to the right side not some crappy 24" Visio monitors with the bezels in the center. That's just awful.

As far as making your code portable I would suggest syncing with Git. That way you could share the project, use different Macs from different locations and have a backup.

• Reply 78 of 112
    Quote:

I just don't like being forced into a cage which says buy an iMac then you are at the mercy of the tech inside becoming obsolete with hardly any upgrade path. Apple has done this for a long time. I am just trying to offer people a cheaper way of doing it, thats all. if you really must have perfection then well go for it, but it will cost more. That all I'm saying. I don't 100% agree with the "messy" label. It can be set up to look almost as good with the right arm and dock, but it takes some effort to get it right.

Everybody has there own setup I guess, but the only reason i see for this setup is if you want to go portible as well, the money saving doesn't stack up so well. The Macbook pro is not cheap and with lower spec you will be upgrading sooner than on the iMac. Any potential price savings are minimal at best and in my view not worth the effort when the iMac is the better machine anyway.

• Reply 79 of 112
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Heh, there's a dead link on the iMac product page.

https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/ towards the bottom there is a link Choose an iMac with a Built-in VESA Mount Adapter

I feel very special and clever for having spotted this sign of Apple's inexorable quality degredation.

• Reply 80 of 112
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Its not a judgement call.  Its a fact.  The mainstream buyer (who Apple is targeting with the iMac) does not want to shop for 10 items in 5 different stores.  They want something simple to setup like the iMac and looks great.

Again why would the mainstream user go through all the hassle of buying:

Macbook pro $1500

2 monitors $400

Apple Mouse $80

Apple keyboard $100

Docking station $100

Face time camera $30

Cable organizing kit $30

Stereo Speakers $30

Microphone $20

Total - $2190

Instead of just buying a 27inch 5k iMac with fusion drive for $1899?

The only advantage with your setup is portability.  But who the hell buys an iMac with portability in mind?

This is like buying a BMW because you like its cup holders.

So the mainstream customer who wants portability wouldn't want your solution.  Portability is not niche.