Apple's iTunes Store & App Store hit by second outage in two days [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
Visitors to the iTunes Store and iOS App Store encountered an outage on Tuesday, Apple's second such incident in as many days. [Updated]

Problems began around 12:30 p.m. Eastern time and are still ongoing as of this writing, according to the company official system status page. Affected people are unable to access the storefronts and/or prevented from downloading content, such as app updates, even though just the iTunes Store is listed as being down.

On Monday, Apple was hit with a partial outage of the two stores. The incident was limited enough that Apple didn't update its status trackers to reflect the problem. Today's downtime appears more severe, though the company has not yet said how many people have been impacted.

Likewise missing is an estimated fix time. On its status page, Apple states only that it's "investigating" and "will update the status as more information becomes available."

Apple's online services have experienced numerous outages in the past. Typically, though, these have disrupted iCloud-related services more frequently than iTunes or the App Store.

Update: Apple's status page says that the issue was resolved sometime after 3 p.m. Eastern, even though some people continued to experience difficulties.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Working for me.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I figured that's what the problem was. I haven't been able to update any of my apps since this morning.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

As of 3:00PM CDT I get the following message when launching iTunes...

The shared library “Cloud Music Library” is not responding. (503)

Check that any firewall software running on either the shared computer or this computer has been set to allow communication on port 443.

So yes, it’s down here in the Midwest.

• Reply 4 of 16
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Yeah something was up, Siri couldn't connect for me, it was strange. Now it's back to normal!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    All of the albums I added via Apple Music have disappeared from my iTunes library!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I'm still having an issue. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for Apple to update the system update page regularly... 3rd party sources should not be reporting the issues in a widespread manner before Apple does.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

What brand of hardware and what operating system are those servers running?

• Reply 8 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

What brand of hardware and what operating system are those servers running?

Who operates and manages them and wrote the software running on them?

• Reply 9 of 16

I had wondered why I kept getting "Cannot connect..." messages popping up on my screen throughout the day. Each time a developer had posted an app update the store sent me that message. They all eventually updated at around 21.30hrs.

Hmm... Could it be that around 300,000,000 Apple customers iTunes Store payment details are now compromised?

Time to change our passwords?

• Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Isn't it all handled by the industrially robust Mac Mini with OS X Server?

• Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Isn't it all handled by the industrially robust Mac Mini with OS X Server?

I thought they were running Lisa's with 1 Meg RAM and a pair of 5 Meg hard drives connected via Appletalk and sealed in a room full of liquid nitrogen -- and of course they are all connected with ARA with a cluster of SE30's running A/UX to connect to the Internet via TCP/IP. ¡

• Reply 12 of 16
    same here in North Borneo. Unable to access the store
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Still affected (UK).
  • Reply 14 of 16

I still cant get in from any device

• Reply 15 of 16

same here in connecticut in the us

• Reply 16 of 16
    A very unfortunate illustration of how bonkers and obtrusive the notifications from iTunes are. My "request" to the iTunes Store could not be completed? I do not care. I'm doing work.