Apple Pay gains support for 29 more US financial institutions, including Scottrade

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple on Tuesday added 29 more U.S. banks to the roster supporting Apple Pay, perhaps the most significant inclusion being Scottrade, the nationwide trading and investments firm.

Some other notable additions include the Los Angeles Police Federal Credit Union, the multi-state Arvest Bank, and the Austin-area Velocity Credit Union, one of Texas' biggest local financial institutions.

Last month Apple Pay topped over 500 U.S. banks for the first time. The service also gained support for Discover and store-based cards, and a greater number of U.K. banks.

Apple has been slower to expand the number of merchant partners supporting the platform. On Oct. 8, though, Apple Pay head Jennifer Bailey revealed that 2016 should see Chili's, Starbucks, and KFC come on board.

The full list of new bank partners includes:
  • Advia Credit Union
  • AIM Bank
  • Alma Bank
  • American Bank & Trust Company
  • Armstrong Bank
  • Arvest Bank
  • BankIowa
  • Central National Bank
  • Clear Mountain Bank
  • EECU
  • First Advantage Bank
  • First Kentucky Bank
  • John Marshall Bank
  • Justice Federal Credit Union
  • Kern Federal Credit Union
  • Kinecta Federal Credit Union
  • Los Angeles Police Federal Credit Union
  • Martin Federal Credit Union
  • Northern Bank & Trust Company
  • Partners 1st Federal Credit Union
  • Radius Bank
  • Republic Bank & Trust
  • Scottrade
  • Sharefax Credit Union
  • Signature Federal Credit Union
  • Sussex County Federal Credit Union
  • The First National Bank in Sioux Falls
  • Velocity Credit Union
  • Washington Trust Bank

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Yes! They finally got my credit union!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Sure wish Apple Pay would come to Canada soon.  My Apple Watch is dying to pay for things.

• Reply 3 of 22
    Go Apple Go Go Go !
  • Reply 4 of 22

Yawn...

Unless more places of business accept it, and given that pretty much all of the big financial institutions are already on board, adding a few more financial institutions amounts to a hill of beans vis-a-vis ApplePay adoption.

• Reply 5 of 22
    Yawn...

Unless more places of business accept it, and given that pretty much all of the big financial institutions are already on board, adding a few more financial institutions amounts to a hill of beans vis-a-vis ApplePay adoption.

But this is our hill...and these are our beans.
  • Reply 6 of 22

Geez when is my bank going to get with the program? I'm still waiting for Apple Pay. 

• Reply 7 of 22
    Of all the credit unions, in all the towns, in all the world, Apple Pay walks into mine.
    Yawn...Unless more places of business accept it, and given that pretty much all of the big financial institutions are already on board, adding a few more financial institutions amounts to a hill of beans vis-a-vis ApplePay adoption.

Now, you've got to listen to me! You have any idea what you'd have to look forward to if Apple Pay didn't exist? Nine chances out of ten, we'd both wind up in a concentration camp. Isn't that true, SpamSandwich? I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know Apple Pay is off to a great start. The banks are part of this work, the thing that keeps this going. If Apple Pay tried to get off the ground and the banks weren't onboard, you'd regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life, Apple Pay will be commonplace among retailers, too.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You should change banks

I'm giving my bank until the end of the year. If not, I'm switching in January. 

• Reply 9 of 22
    Yawn...

Amen to this. Got to get small businesses on board. And political candidates and PACs are seriously missing the boat. Several times I've been about ready to contribute to this or that online appeal, only to pull back at the last second for lack of an ?Pay button on the site.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Of all the credit unions, in all the towns, in all the world, Apple Pay walks into mine.
    Now, you've got to listen to me! You have any idea what you'd have to look forward to if Apple Pay didn't exist? Nine chances out of ten, we'd both wind up in a concentration camp. Isn't that true, SpamSandwich? I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know Apple Pay is off to a great start. The banks are part of this work, the thing that keeps this going. If Apple Pay tried to get off the ground and the banks weren't onboard, you'd regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life, Apple Pay will be commonplace among retailers, too.

???? Play it again, Spam.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    brucemc wrote: »
    Sure wish Apple Pay would come to Canada soon.  My Apple Watch is dying to pay for things.

No shit. It's infuriating that more than a year after release, there's not a SHRED of news of Apple Pay coming to Canada, even though our infrastructure is even more ready for it than the US (chip and pin everywhere).
  • Reply 12 of 22
    slurpy wrote: »
    No shit. It's infuriating that more than a year after release, there's not a SHRED of news of Apple Pay coming to Canada, even though our infrastructure is even more ready for it than the US (chip and pin everywhere).

I wonder what are the issues contributing to the delays.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Mmm ...

Both my daughter and I have brokerage/checking/savings accounts at Scottrade.

No notification from them yet and nothing on their web site.

I look forward to ApplePay for Scottrade!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Still willing to give it more time but it’s the merchants that appear to be the laggards, not the banks. If I have to carry around cards for the foreseeable future then what’s the point except for some convenience. 

In fast food only McDonalds takes ?Pay. Burger King? PayPal only. Hardees? Only cash or cards.

In department stores it’s pretty much Macy’s alone plus very few others.

Mom and Pop retailers? Nothing

Movie Theatres? Nope

I have an old friend who owns and operates an independent pharmacy. He has the terminals that support NFC but is not turning that function on because of the extra cost involved to process those payments.

They say 2016 is the year this takes off. Time will tell.

• Reply 15 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Still willing to give it more time but it’s the merchants that appear to be the laggards, not the banks. If I have to carry around cards for the foreseeable future then what’s the point except for some convenience. 

In fast food only McDonalds takes ?Pay. Burger King? PayPal only. Hardees? Only cash or cards.

In department stores it’s pretty much Macy’s alone plus very few others.

Mom and Pop retailers? Nothing

Movie Theatres? Nope

I have an old friend who owns and operates an independent pharmacy. He has the terminals that support NFC but is not turning that function on because of the extra cost involved to process those payments.

They say 2016 is the year this takes off. Time will tell.

This is suppose to be the big month where swiping is going away and chip and pin will start. I still haven't gotten any of my cards replaced with a chip yet. So everyone is lagging as always.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I could care less if every financial institution in the World has Apple Pay. How about getting vendors to accept Apple Pay, it's October already and I haven't seen more vendors in my location accepting Apple Pay. All I heard in the past is wait for October 2015 for the vendors to come around. Well, I'm seeing the new terminals but not seeing more accepting Apple Pay. Do we have the year right or is it now wait till October 2016?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I guess you though Rome was built in a day.

The US took decades to get away from swipe cards. This is no surprise at all.  But in 5 years everywhere will accept ApplePay

Um... you must have misunderstood my post. I was not saying that it won't take time. Of course it will. I am simply saying that signing up more banks is not as newsworthy (at least, to me) as signing up new places of business that accept it.

Hence the 'yawn.'

• Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... you must have misunderstood my post. I was not saying that it won't take time. Of course it will. I am simply saying that signing up more banks is not as newsworthy (at least, to me) as signing up new places of business that accept it.

Hence the 'yawn.'

This time the thread was actually applicable to my credit union, so I did not yawn. :D

• Reply 19 of 22
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm ...

Both my daughter and I have brokerage/checking/savings accounts at Scottrade.

No notification from them yet and nothing on their web site.

I look forward to ApplePay for Scottrade!

Take a look at their app in a couple of days? Maybe force an update if one is available and hasn't downloaded. That's how I discovered BofA was finally doing TouchID.

• Reply 20 of 22
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post

I could care less if every financial institution in the World has Apple Pay. How about getting vendors to accept Apple Pay, it's October already and I haven't seen more vendors in my location accepting Apple Pay. All I heard in the past is wait for October 2015 for the vendors to come around. Well, I'm seeing the new terminals but not seeing more accepting Apple Pay. Do we have the year right or is it now wait till October 2016?

October is really the start as that's when liability shifted and even once in place they have to be the NFC terminals and not just the EMV chip ones (which, BTW, I am not loving as they take longer to use).