Apple's renowned attention to detail led designers to fret over the sound of sliding new Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

You could very well be right. I'll hold future fire until I get mine delivered and see how long it lasts.

Plus they get ever more clever with software: this iteration might also have a bunch of code for sleeping whenever it's not used for some time, just staying vigilant enough to start back up quick.... all sorts of those sorts of tricks were recently reported for iOS 9 for instance in their quest for stretching the battery life.

• Reply 42 of 121
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

my copies work fine. is your computer broken?

It was.  After updating, I had no Finder and it was stuck in a 'finder has unexpectedly quit' loop.

• Reply 43 of 121

The magic mouse badly needed a redesign. The first generation was a pile of junk. I work for a company that is 90% mac. I have a drawer with at least 2 dozen of these mice that either stop working, or constantly disconnect. Hopefully they upgraded the bluetooth radios in the new version. It tore through batteries faster than any other mouse I've ever used. I'm glad to see they put a rechargeable in there.

But unfortunately, as others have pointed out, they put the charging port on the bottom!? For a company that is so obsessed with design, why on earth would you put the port on the bottom? You have to lay it on it's back to charge.. Brilliant! I know the Apple fanboys will defend every decision Apple makes to their death, but this is simply stupid design. 

• Reply 44 of 121
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

It was.  After updating, I had no Finder and it was stuck in a 'finder has unexpectedly quit' loop.

Naturally you had cloned your drive before the update so you could revert to the previous OS, right?

• Reply 45 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

no. it takes two minutes to charge for 9 hours of use. it will take you longer to walk to the can and back.

as for putting it on the front, if you had one or even just looked at it youll understand why -- the front & back is all glass, for the touchpad.

i know you people think youre smarter than the most successful public CE firm in the history of our species, but youre not. just consider that for a moment before ranting.

Actually, the top of the mouse is made of plastic.

Before you start insulting people's intelligence using horrible grammar and incorrect information, you may want to take your own advice. 

• Reply 46 of 121
    These guys can spend months on the sound of a mouse, but not put a LED notification light on their phones like every other phone has, down to the cheap $20 pre-paids or allow third party keyboards to access voice to text, like everyone else? Typical!

Don't worry though, when they do add these on the iPhone 8s, the masses will go wild with the new innovation.
  • Reply 47 of 121
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Wireless while in use, So I'd say pretty decent. Drive your car much with the gasoline hose sticking into the fuel port much? 

Versus a keyboard or mouse or pad where the function signal transfers over a permanent wire connecting the accessory to the main device for it to function at all.

I'm talking specifically about charging. I still have to lay my ?Watch on something that has a dongle that plugs into the wall. Seriously, plug the mouse in for two minutes and you're good to go for 9 hours. Why do people make it seem like the mouse is going to constantly be in need of a charge?
  • Reply 48 of 121
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am glad to hear this. The last one was a poor design with the bottom often grinding across the desk and the battery compartment popping off.

Yup. Totally agree.
  • Reply 49 of 121
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member

going to constantly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm talking specifically about charging. I still have to lay my ?Watch on something that has a dongle that plugs into the wall. Seriously, plug the mouse in for two minutes and you're good to go for 9 hours. Why do people make it seem like the mouse is going to constantly be in need of a charge?

Because its constantly going to need a charge? 

• Reply 50 of 121
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Gee. Maybe the port is on the bottom so one of you geniuses can kickstart a product that plugs into the port and provides an inductive charging surface between the plastic glides.... and a powered mousepad...

Or you could just sit around bitching at the air...
  • Reply 51 of 121
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

When the pain of using Microsoft Vista became too much for me I switched to Mac. So to all those who are fussing about all the problems with Apple products you can always switch to a PC. I am sure that out of the dozens of people making mice for PC's someone is doing it right.

• Reply 52 of 121
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Having to place the mouse on its back to charge, is dumber than dumb. Here's a dumbass question: how hard would it have been for Apple to put the Lightening port on the front, so that when you had to charge the mouse, you could also use it?

Steve Jobs said: design is not how things look, but how things work.

Good news. You don't have to buy or use one.

• Reply 53 of 121
    thrang wrote: »
    Now if they could please turn their attention to the Music app...

I've come to the conclusion that networked software is not Apple's forte.
  • Reply 54 of 121
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Having to place the mouse on its back to charge, is dumber than dumb. Here's a dumbass question: how hard would it have been for Apple to put the Lightening port on the front, so that when you had to charge the mouse, you could also use it?

Steve Jobs said: design is not how things look, but how things work.

Ha! Yeah, I'm sure if Apple engineers were to read your post they would totally face-palm with a "Holy crap! Why didn't we think of that??" :rolleyes:

• Reply 55 of 121
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

2 minutes for 8 hour charge.

How long does it take to find and replace batteries?

At work, I can find & change batteries at work in far less than 2 minutes, and get at least two weeks of daily use out of them.

Now i will have to actually quantify how long AA 1900 mAh batteries last in my mouse... off the cuff, i would say it is actually 4 weeks of daily use.

We have 5 such mice in my department, as well as a few photographic flashes that use AA batteries, so we simply have a 16 battery charger plugged in full time - makes finding batteries a snap.

• Reply 56 of 121
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    But not the ergonomics of the mouse. Sigh.
  • Reply 57 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Shame about that 5400 RPM, 1TB hard drive though...

That seems to be the common reaction. Spec horror! Like when Apple drops a port or some kind of disc drive.

Could be the slower drive is more than adequate for the majority of office uses, and way more reliable. Or it could be another upsell strategy.

Facts about performance would matter here. But it's not an argument against Apple's attention to detail.
  • Reply 58 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Very funny! Usually it takes two people just to hold a mouse's small back legs apart. :)

Christopher,

LMFAO....Damn that's funny!    Mobee makes an inductive charger for the first Magic Mouse...hopefully they will have one for Magic Mouse 2....I really don't feel good holding his small legs apart....;-)

• Reply 59 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

Christopher,

LMFAO....Damn that's funny!    Mobee makes an inductive charger for the first Magic Mouse...hopefully they will have one for Magic Mouse 2....I really don't feel good holding his small legs apart....;-)

Thanks Larry. I have my moments.  :)

• Reply 60 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Now if they could please turn their attention to the Music app...

Agreed.

Although they used machines to pinpoint where noises were coming from on the Mouse, unfortunately no such machines exist to pinpoint lackluster user interfaces.