Apple's redesigned Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard gain integrated batteries, Lightning ports

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zapf Brannigan View Post

Why would you assume that there aren't a lot of people who let their devices run down nearly zero power before recharging? Why would you assume that a battery's capacity does not diminish over time? Why would you assume that batteries won't eventually fail, rendering an all-in-one device worthless?

Maybe I'm forgetful about plugging in some of my already significant number of needy wireless devices for an overnight charge, maybe I prefer the flexibility of having a spare set of batteries on hand in case of emergency. But as batteries wear out, as is inevitable, a $10 set of four AA's is a much better deal to me than replacing an entire input device. Or for that matter, being stuck twiddling my thumbs because I forgot to charge the damn thing and Apple decided that putting the plug on the bottom was somehow a smart design choice.

And the moment you let your batteries die and that drawer is empty?

S.

O.

L.

• Reply 82 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

$149 for a keyboard.

Whether you are mashing, bashing, or just doing a little bit of poking. Nothing feels better than doing it with a Cougar. :smokey:

• Reply 83 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And the moment you let your batteries die and that drawer is empty?

Obviously, the point that Apple's older input devices at least gave you options and the newer ones leave you with none, is lost on you.

• Reply 84 of 127
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

If the battery dies you must throw it away.

Well, the keyboard you can keep using wired. The mouse has a port in the STUPIDEST spot imaginable, so it’s screwed.

• Reply 85 of 127
    philsphils Posts: 22member
    Not having a full size keyboard with a number pad on it is a mistake. I don't understand why Apple doesn't listen to what customers really need. There is no logical explanation for not having a full size keyboard... And honestly I like the previous design a lot more than the newer one.. I looks slimmer
  • Reply 86 of 127
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Is the lightning port just for charging, or do the keyboard and trackpad function as wired peripherals when connected?

I want an Apple Trackpad, but wireless is unnecessary for me (I might occasionally find it useful, but generally not) , and I tend to leave bluetooth off to save power when I'm away from my desk.  I hope you can just ignore the wireless functionality and use as wired.

• Reply 87 of 127
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    1983 wrote: »
    A new optional numeric keypad would of been nice. One that would snap on magnetically to either side of the Magic Keyboard thus catering for southpaws as well as righties. Such a feature (magnetic connection) would of been nice on the new Magic Trackpad too. As for keyboard backlighting, I was half expecting that to appear on this upgrade, but it didn't. The lack of some form of Force Touch on the mouse is disappointing too. Stylistically though all these new accessories look great...

Unfortunately, these little thoughtful touches that Apple used to implement have now fallen by the wayside.
    (The remote magnetically attaching to the side of the 2006 iMacs).
  • Reply 88 of 127
    Obviously, the point that Apple's older input devices at least gave you options and the newer ones leave you with none, is lost on you.

And yet that drawer your battery powered device craves is still empty. The point that the wall outlet would be right there was missed by your overwhelming intellect how?

Unless you can get Amazin to do an airdrop?
  • Reply 89 of 127
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    And yet that drawer your battery powered device craves is still empty. The point that the wall outlet would be right there was missed by your overwhelming intellect how?

Unless you can get Amazin to do an airdrop?
    It's not complicated. You have two sets of Eneloops. One in the keyboard, one in the drawer. When the one in the keyboard runs out, you swap them, and put the keyboard ones on the charger. After you charge them, you put them in the drawer. The drawer is thus never empty.
  • Reply 90 of 127
    Guys do you think the new keyboard use the butterfly system they invented for the MacBook?
  • Reply 91 of 127
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Huge Magic Mouse fan here but,
    No force touch on Magic Mouse?

:(
  • Reply 92 of 127
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    yazolight wrote: »
    Guys do you think the new keyboard use the butterfly system they invented for the MacBook?

They do.

Edit: some people are saying this design is different. I'm confused now.
  • Reply 93 of 127
    It's not complicated. You have two sets of Eneloops. One in the keyboard, one in the drawer. When the one in the keyboard runs out, you swap them, and put the keyboard ones on the charger. After you charge them, you put them in the drawer. The drawer is thus never empty.
    Yet the poster I was responding to with skepticism uses standard AAs and so an easy empty drawer, or in a shared office environment even rechargeables are going to come up blank at some point since there's always "that guy" in every office. Usually the same one who drains the water cooler and walks away, empties the coffee pot while not reloading the printer with paper and loading the last spare toner cartridge without telling anyone. As a child he also always put the empty cereal box back and then whined when there were no Cocoa Puffs the next morning. THAT guy.
  • Reply 94 of 127
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Yet the poster I was responding to with skepticism uses standard AAs and so an easy empty drawer
    I just did a search of that person's posts in the thread, and this is the only thing I could find regarding what kind of batteries he was using:
    Why would you assume that there aren't a lot of people who let their devices run down nearly zero power before recharging? Why would you assume that a battery's capacity does not diminish over time? Why would you assume that batteries won't eventually fail, rendering an all-in-one device worthless?

But as batteries wear out, as is inevitable, a $10 set of four AA's is a much better deal to me than replacing an entire input device.
    He's obviously using rechargeable batteries, as:

1) the post is about how rechargeable batteries eventually wear out over time (i.e., after being put through the number of charge cycles that they can handle), and

2) $10 is about what a four-pack of rechargeable AAs costs (Eneloops are slightly more, but close). If it were non-rechargeables, $10 would get you a 20-pack or so.
    or in a shared office environment even rechargeables are going to come up blank at some point since there's always "that guy" in every office. Usually the same one who drains the water cooler and walks away, empties the coffee pot while not reloading the printer with paper and loading the last spare toner cartridge without telling anyone. As a child he also always put the empty cereal box back and then whined when there were no Cocoa Puffs the next morning. THAT guy.
    So that's the argument now? Some guy might steal your batteries? What stops "that guy" from stealing your whole keyboard, then?
  • Reply 95 of 127
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

Maybe I'm forgetful about plugging in some of my already significant number of needy wireless devices for an overnight charge, maybe I prefer the flexibility of having a spare set of batteries on hand in case of emergency, and maybe you're content to chug the Apple Kool-Aid. But as batteries wear out, as is inevitable, a $10 set of four AA's is a much better deal to me than replacing an entire input device. Or for that matter, being stuck twiddling my thumbs because I forgot to charge the damn thing and Apple decided that putting the plug on the bottom was somehow a smart design choice.

I have two redundant magic mice 1 and a last-gen AA-eating Apple Keyboard available. Make me an offer.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

oh, you hate everything theyre doing? again? damn.

@Inkling is one of the worst trolls I've seen on this site. He's either yawning at benign Apple releases, or, when they release something admittedly great, he'll talk about something entirely different. You know how the argument "great, now how about...".

• Reply 97 of 127
    Ordered the Magic Trackpad replacing my five year old (which is getting a bit wonky), UPS should deliver it on Thursday.

While excited to get it (and use Force Touch) I'm a bit disappointed that Apple didn't make these key input accessories more revolutionary. For example:

1) Where is Touch ID for rapid password and purchasing authentication on Macs
    2) The mouse should have included Force Touch
    3) Magic mouse could have included ambient notifications (think multi-colored LED light that could signal events (important meeting coming up, new email, etc.)
    4) Backlight for the keyboard (could be turned off or on to save battery life)
    5) Magnetic connectors to combine keyboard, keypad, trackpad (easily pull apart or reconfigure)
    6) Others?? How about a way to easily trigger glances on a Mac (similar to glances for key information on Apple Watch)

Don't get me wrong the evolutionary changes made to all three devices are great - it's just that these don't get updated often and I think this was a missed opportunity to be a bit more bold.
  • Reply 98 of 127
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Huge Magic Mouse fan here but,

No force touch on Magic Mouse?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Ordered the Magic Trackpad replacing my five year old (which is getting a bit wonky), UPS should deliver it on Thursday.

While excited to get it (and use Force Touch) I'm a bit disappointed that Apple didn't make these key input accessories more revolutionary. For example:

1) Where is Touch ID for rapid password and purchasing authentication on Macs

2) The mouse should have included Force Touch

3) Magic mouse could have included ambient notifications (think multi-colored LED light that could signal events (important meeting coming up, new email, etc.)

4) Backlight for the keyboard (could be turned off or on to save battery life)

5) Magnetic connectors to combine keyboard, keypad, trackpad (easily pull apart or reconfigure)

6) Others?? How about a way to easily trigger glances on a Mac (similar to glances for key information on Apple Watch)

Don't get me wrong the evolutionary changes made to all three devices are great - it's just that these don't get updated often and I think this was a missed opportunity to be a bit more bold.

I mainly quoted this for #2, but

1) Mmmmm... maybe

2) I was thinking about this. So far, Force/3D Touch has all been on flat surfaces. There may have been an engineering challenge they have not yet been able to overcome getting it to perform satisfactorily on the complex surface geometry of MM.

3) Apple? You have to be kidding.

4) I think a lot of the reasons this feature was not included have already been covered at great length, but just for the hell of it, I'll add my own anecdote. I work on my Mac at night A LOT. I always have at least a little light coming from somewhere, enough to see my keys at least. Who works in complete darkness?  It's not good to stare at a screen in complete darkness anyway. 

5) Like #3, another pipe dream Apple will never pursue. 

6) I'd have to brush up on my Apple Watch glances, but are you talking about these things showing up on the input devices themselves? If so, that doesn't really make any sense to me. If you're talking about showing up on the Mac, I think things are already heading in that direction.

• Reply 99 of 127

Maybe I'm forgetful about plugging in some of my already significant number of needy wireless devices for an overnight charge, maybe I prefer the flexibility of having a spare set of batteries on hand in case of emergency, and maybe you're content to chug the Apple Kool-Aid. But as batteries wear out, as is inevitable, a $10 set of four AA's is a much better deal to me than replacing an entire input device. Or for that matter, being stuck twiddling my thumbs because I forgot to charge the damn thing and Apple decided that putting the plug on the bottom was somehow a smart design choice.

so your main point is, it should have external batteries because you might forget to charge it. okay....so bad memory. ok. so what if your same faulty memory causes you to forget to buy new batteries? forget to charge spare batteries? forget to turn your mac on? etc... nonsense.

as for twiddling your thumbs -- for TWO MINUTES! and then you get a full-days's charge. is your time so valuable that you cant take 2 minutes? you dont use the bathroom ever?
  • Reply 100 of 127
    Well, the keyboard you can keep using wired. The mouse has a port in the STUPIDEST spot imaginable, so it’s screwed.

its not stupid because it only takes 2 minutes to charge. for the day. two minutes. my windows desktop at work takes longer than that to boot.