CBS will 'probably' sign deal with Apple for streaming TV service, CEO says

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
CBS talks with Apple regarding a streaming TV service should lead to an agreement, though a timeline is uncertain, the network's CEO said in a Wednesday TV interview.

"Apple is having conversations with everyone about doing their own streaming services," Les Moonves told Bloomberg. "We have had those conversations, as have the other networks. Do I think something will happen? Probably, but I do not know when."

Apple was at one point rumored to be launching a service alongside the fourth-generation Apple TV set-top, but more recent reports have pointed to a delay into 2016. Talks with content providers have made little headway.

One sticking point is believed to be Apple's proposed subscription price, which would cost viewers about $40 per month. Media compnanies allegedly feel this is too low, even though one of the most popular streaming TV options -- Sling TV -- is charging as little as $20 per month.

CBS has been relatively open about a potential partnership with Apple. And Apple has been kind in return as well -- one of the shows featured prominently in Apple TV marketing is the CBS vehicle The Big Bang Theory.

Other than that however, it's not known what content Apple's service might offer. The company has reportedly been trying to secure access to local channels, not just nationwide broadcasts, and might even take steps toward original programming, much like Amazon, Crackle, Netflix, or Hulu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don't know what's going to happen, and I don't know if I'll be interested, but CBS is a big deal. They were the last major broadcast network to sign up for an app to see their shows. It's a big deal because they are, by far, the most popular broadcast network, and really, the most popular network, period.

Even if some people here don't want to watch broadcast tv for their own reasons, most people do. If CBS signs up, that's a major victory, and will promp others to do so as well.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I hope if I ask my Apple TV to "find me some funny TV shows" The Big Bang Theory isn't listed. Dreadfully unfunny show that irritates the crap out of me.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mobius wrote: »
    I hope if I ask my Apple TV to "find me some funny TV shows" The Big Bang Theory isn't listed. Dreadfully unfunny show that irritates the crap out of me.

maybe Siri will learn your tastes over time if you can tag as such.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Here in the UK I think an HBO app would be key. As to UK providers I understand BBC is going to have iPlayer on there which will be a big deal here and so I'd expect ITV and 4 to be forced to follow suit. Most of what we'd then be missing are the HBO shows often currently shown on Sky Atlantic.
    sog35 wrote: »
    I disagree.  I think NBC is the key.  They will be the hardest to sign because they are part of Comcast which will be a direct competitor to Apple's TV services.

This is the same reason CNBC constantly bashes Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    its funny.  you aren't. 
    Thanks for that. I wasn't trying to be, but whatever. That show makes me want to drill holes in my eyeballs it's so lame.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    mobius wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I wasn't trying to be, but whatever. That show makes me want to drill holes in my eyeballs it's so lame.

That's really not going to be your excuse for being "blind" to common sense and just not watching it... is it?

I give to you The Power Drill: change the f***** channel... left right... left right... keep goin".... :rolleyes:
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

its funny.  you aren't. 

If a show needs a laugh track to tell you where the jokes are, it's not really funny is it?

• Reply 8 of 35
    That's really not going to be your excuse for being "blind" to common sense and just not watching it... is it?

I give to you The Power Drill: change the f***** channel... left right... left right... keep goin".... :rolleyes:

Well of course...I think it just irritates me that the show is on constant rotation here in the UK on one channel. I've given it lots of chances, but no chuckles come.

Did anyone watch that YouTube vid that guy made of a clip minus the canned laugh track? It was v weird and v creepy.

I get that it's popular. I don't get the humour.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Here it is...

• Reply 10 of 35
    I disagree.  I think NBC is the key.  They will be the hardest to sign because they are part of Comcast which will be a direct competitor to Apple's TV services.

This is the same reason CNBC constantly bashes Apple.

You have to look at the popularity of the networks. NBC doesn't have nearly as many shows in the top 20. CBS is the gorilla in broadcasting, and that's why they matter so much. If they sign, then the others will feel the need to sign. Comcast had already stated that they could be interested in a deal with Apple. Eventually, we'll see this happen. The only question is when.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One sticking point is believed to be Apple's proposed subscription price, which would cost viewers about $40 per month. Media compnanies allegedly feel this is too low, even though one of the most popular streaming TV options -- Sling TV -- is charging as little as $20 per month.

One reason why media companies are concerned about the pricing of an Apple service is that they view it as potentially disruptive - that a larger number would sign up for that service & thus ditch their cable/sat subscriptions - and that Apple will gain significant control.  Those same media companies are more open to supporting smaller / niche services to experiment in the market - but they won't with Apple

• Reply 12 of 35
    Here in the UK I think an HBO app would be key. As to UK providers I understand BBC is going to have iPlayer on there which will be a big deal here and so I'd expect ITV and 4 to be forced to follow suit. Most of what we'd then be missing are the HBO shows often currently shown on Sky Atlantic.

HBO has been there for a while.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    I noticed you are located in the UK.  
    Yep.

I do find other US comedies funny. Loved Friends, Cheers, Fresh Prince of Belair, the Simpsons (struggling to think of anything more recent).
  • Reply 14 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Well it’s in its 9th season so I’m guessing the problem is not with the show.

• Reply 15 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I have wondered for some time about local broadcast stations and why they don’t stream their content. Most radio stations do it. In the St. Louis area the big dog is KMOX (the Mighty MOX) radio, a 50,000 watt clear channel station that can be picked up about anywhere in the middle of the country including Texas. KMOX Radio streams on the Internet as well so why couldn’t the local CBS affiliate TV (Channel 4 KMOX) stream their video. Does the national CBS network prevent them from doing so? 

• Reply 16 of 35
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Well it’s in its 9th season so I’m guessing the problem is not with the show.

and mcdonalds has Billions & Billions served -- doesnt make it a good burger.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Oh great, Apple is dealing with this guy.  

• Reply 18 of 35
    melgross wrote: »
    HBO has been there for a while.

Don't know if the last iteration changed it but HBO not available on my Apple TV.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You have to look at the popularity of the networks. NBC doesn't have nearly as many shows in the top 20. CBS is the gorilla in broadcasting, and that's why they matter so much. If they sign, then the others will feel the need to sign. Comcast had already stated that they could be interested in a deal with Apple. Eventually, we'll see this happen. The only question is when.

I think Comcast is beginning to break a sweat for what beginning to be seen out in the horizon.  Comcast could try and not allow companies like Apple access to its NBC network.  If however, AppleTV in whatever new iteration it is planning becomes hugely successful and all the other network companies jump on the bandwagon, Comcast/NBC is going to be finding itself on the losing end just like the record companies (i.e. Tower Records) that refused to accept the digital age.  

I think Comcast/NBC will eventually cave-in and open NBC.  I'm on the very edge of canceling my TV cable as I barely use it enough to justify the monthly charge I have, and the quality of the shows/transmission that is associated with that charge.  To me, it's all Netflix, iTunes, etc... not much else.  I'm sure my situation is more the rule, than the exception nowadays.

• Reply 20 of 35
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

CBS or not, I want the new Apple TV. Come on Apple, take my money now.