Intel profits drop in Q3 on weak PC market, alleviated by higher chip prices, server & IoT markets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

net net:  intel chip sales in their premium margin market is down, and the trend long term is not good.

End user computing is moving to ARM chips,  Server computing, while growing, is not growing faster profit wise at to offset the loss to android/iOS based end user computing...

And I can't see IoT being a high margin product for Intel, at least compared to Skylake.

"End user computing is moving to ARM chips,..."

Does that mean Apple may move OSX to ARM or does iOS eventually become capable enough to supplant OSX?

• Reply 22 of 27
    "likely hurt by people waiting for Skylake" - what? Very few people in the world are keeping track of what Intel's chips are capable of or when they're coming.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    rogifan wrote: »
    Re/code just reported that Intel, Microsoft and several PC OEMs have a big PC ad campaign coming. So expect to see PC ads everywhere the next two months. I wonder what advertising Apple has planned for the holiday season, I hardly ever see Apple ads on TV yet every time I watch a football game or golf tournament all I see is Surface everywhere. :rolleyes:

I remember when PC apologists would say nobody was buying the Surface Pro because everyone was waiting for the Haswell Skylake chip.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Actually, Surface sales are growing, just on the backs of MS' OEM partners. Put another way, Surface is growing its market share in an otherwise declining segment of the market.

Killing the PC low end is just hastening the end of Windows... Not sure even MS understands this. In 2-3 years they'll still sell more Surface's but many OEM will be DOA and the overall number of PC'S will be halved. By then, MS can only hope that enterprise and professional buyers will save them. They're a bit like IBM in the early 1990s when the onslaught of cheap PC's hit their business operations.

• Reply 25 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well to be fair, Morgan Stanley and now BOA have both raised estimates. Yet it seems to mean f**k all for the stock. The Nasdaq over all is up today yet Apple is down over 1%. :rolleyes:

http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/15/10/5912291/bank-of-america-still-neutral-on-apple-but-boosts-mac-an

That is because we are on our way to a major world wide recession/depression. All the signs point to this and frankly it would be a mirical if we get through early 2016 without seeing some of the first impacts. Seriously look at the number of people unemployed or not working in the USA right now. It is a huge number that could easily double.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
     net net:  intel chip sales in their premium margin market is down, and the trend long term is not good.
    This I agree with, Intels business model is being disrupted and frankly raising prices will work against them. Higher prices just means more reasons for people to move to ARM or even AMD.

As a side note everyone likes to laugh at AMD for their problems, many self inflicted, but AMD is suffering from the same market conditions Intel is suffering from.
    End user computing is moving to ARM chips,  
    Well sorta! Until we see ARM chips in laptops we really can't say that end user computing has moved to ARM chips.
    Server computing, while growing, is not growing faster profit wise at to offset the loss to android/iOS based end user computing...
    The growth of Android/iOS is only a small part of the problem. Ownership of a PC just doesn't have the "cool" appeal it use to have. Part of that is smart phones, can't deny that,but there seems to be other factors at work. The whole tech industry just doesn't have the appeal it once had, it is almost like people have become willfully tech illiterate.

Now maybe that is a biased view but take a walk down to your local book store and take a look at the magazine rack. Technically oriented publications are almost non existent these days. No Byte magazines, no Popular Electronics, no Mac Tech and many of the great technically oriented magazines of the previous decade are gone.
    And I can't see IoT being a high margin product for Intel, at least compared to Skylake.

It isn't and Intel doesn't have the mind set to compete in that market.