Microsoft sells out of Surface Book launch stock, updates iOS Health app for Band 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Microsoft on Thursday sold out of its initial launch stock for the Surface Book, and updated its Health app for iOS to support the Band 2 fitness tracker.

Visitors to the online Microsoft Store will now find shipping times for the Book ranging anywhere from 5 to 8 weeks. "We've seen strong demand for Surface Book and have sold out of pre-order supply for October 26 availability," a spokesperson informed MarketWatch.

Limited numbers of the laptop will be in stores on the 26th, the company said.

It's not clear whether demand is high, or if Microsoft was simply conservative with production. The Surface Book is the company's first laptop, announced just last week, but is also claimed to be the fastest 13-inch notebook ever made -- twice as fast as a MacBook Pro. Owners can even detach the screen to use it as a tablet, sacrificing some of that performance in the process.

Microsoft Health

The Health iPhone app has been updated to support the various features of the Band 2. This includes the new barometer, and tracking functions like VO2 max monitoring or recording shots during golf. The app offers a built-in scorecard for golf games.

Health is a free download, and runs on iPhones with iOS 7.1 or later. The Band 2 is shipping on Oct. 30 for $249, and will also support Android and Windows phones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    Good for Microsoft; they must have pre-sold dozens!
  • Reply 2 of 115
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's not clear whether demand is high, or if Microsoft was simply conservative with production.

Check Microsoft's stock tomorrow. I'll probably rise, despite no clarity regarding the number of units in this "demand."

• Reply 3 of 115
    This is a joke right? Lol at them trying to look like Apples success. Did they only make 1?
  • Reply 4 of 115
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    let's me honest. I grew my professional carrier with Intel based windows hardware design for PCs and laptops. But, somehow hardware build quality for Windows laptop is subpar quality compare with Apple's Mabook. I am not going to be judgmental about build quality of Microsoft surface book and time will tell but based on past experiences of millions of windows laptop uses, most of windows laptop are like many android phones. Cheap but don't last long so avoid in first place before joining millions of frustrated users. Media supported new design so people are buying but media not going to pay for repair after warranty will expire.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple should make a Mac tablet.

• Reply 6 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    appex wrote: »

Why?
  • Reply 7 of 115
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

The MacBook Air is due for a refresh, or at least an IPS display (if not Retina) and more than 4GB RAM as standard.

• Reply 8 of 115
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    wood1208 wrote: »
    let's me honest. I grew my professional carrier with Intel based windows hardware design for PCs and laptops. But, somehow hardware build quality for Windows laptop is subpar quality compare with Apple's Mabook. I am not going to be judgmental about build quality of Microsoft surface book and time will tell but based on past experiences of millions of windows laptop uses, most of windows laptop are like many android phones. Cheap but don't last long so avoid in first place before joining millions of frustrated users. Media supported new design so people are buying but media not going to pay for repair after warranty will expire.

My experience is Microsoft makes good hardware, but it still runs Windows.
  • Reply 9 of 115

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

let's me honest. I grew my professional carrier with Intel based windows hardware design for PCs and laptops. But, somehow hardware build quality for [OEM] Windows laptop is subpar quality compare with Apple's Mabook. I am not going to be judgmental about build quality of Microsoft surface book and time will tell but based on past experiences of millions of windows laptop uses, most of windows laptop are like many android phones. Cheap but don't last long so avoid in first place before joining millions of frustrated users. Media supported new design so people are buying but media not going to pay for repair after warranty will expire.

Fixed your post. Comparing Microsoft to an OEM built windows box is weak sauce.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on software stability and build quality.

I do still doubt their 'We will make it do everything... it's a laptop... it's a tablet... it's a phone... it's a Bass-0-Matic' marketing approach will work.   Having something do a 10 things 'okay' is at best confusing, and at worst, limiting if not, adding risk through complexity.

• Reply 10 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why?

to compete with a hinge?

• Reply 11 of 115
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wow I haven't heard of a tech company besides Apple sell out of anything in a long time!
  • Reply 12 of 115
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Has it been announced if Microsoft are manufacturing this themselves or outsourcing production/assembly?

• Reply 13 of 115
    haggar wrote: »
    The MacBook Air is due for a refresh, or at least an IPS display (if not Retina) and more than 4GB RAM as standard.

Not happening. Apple wouldn't have created the rMB if the Air was getting a Retina display. The Air is on its way out once two things happen: rMB becomes cheaper and rMBP becomes lighter. Apple hasn't announced any Skylake rMBPs yet which could mean those devices are getting a redesign. If they were planning to release them yet this fall why not announce them when the new iMacs came out? Next month it's going to be all about iPad Pro and ?TV.
  • Reply 14 of 115
    cali wrote: »
    Wow I haven't heard of a tech company besides Apple sell out of anything in a long time!

How many did they sell? It's easy to sell out if supply is low.
  • Reply 15 of 115
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How many did they sell? It's easy to sell out if supply is low.

Judging by the lack of sales of the other products in the Surface line, I'm sure Microsoft was conservative with production. 

• Reply 16 of 115
    I'd like a detachable screen. I can carry my laptop with me virtually everywhere I go but when at work I could grab just the screen for scrums and breakouts. Saves me a whole device in my bag.

Apple have declared a few ideas dumb only to implement them years later (once the underlying technology can live up to their high standards). MacPads might be another such dumb idea (right now).
  • Reply 17 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Introducing... the Macbook!

• Reply 18 of 115
    tbell wrote: »
    My experience is Microsoft makes good hardware, but it still runs Windows.

Red Ring of Death.
    Scratchgate.
  • Reply 19 of 115
    a4vka4vk Posts: 4member
    If any company other than Apple sells out initial stock means they have built very few. If Apple says they still have stock means their production has improved. Surface is real hardware making money for Microsoft and pretty much consumers liking it. It's such a hit product which made Apple release iPad pro to compete. So I am not surprised if surface book sold out initial supply. After all surface book is dual can be used as tablet or laptop so in many ways better than surface pro.
  • Reply 20 of 115
    a4vka4vk Posts: 4member
    If any company other than Apple sells out initial stock means they have built very few. If Apple says they still have stock means their production has improved. So either way.. Apple fans think it is their world. Surface is real hardware making money for Microsoft and pretty much consumers liking it. It's such a hit product which made Apple you release iPad pro to compete. So I am not surprised if surface book sold out initial supply. After all surface book is dual can be used as tablet or laptop so in many ways